Easy Fermented Pickles (Deli Sours)

• B-man

That time of year again.

If you’re a pickle fan, these things are killer and so easy!

No hot canning necessary, just a countertop and a fridge.

Here’s the tweaked recipe I’m using this year, mainly making them in just quart jars instead of bulk batches like last year.

10 table spoons sea salt or pickling salt to a gallon of water (non-chlorinated). Figure a half quart of brine per quart of pickles.

Pack jars with cukes, try to wedge in to keep from floating

Add a semi-crushed clove or two of garlic (per quart)

One head of dill per quart

One large leaf or two small leaves, bay or grape (for tannin) per quart

1/4 to 1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper

Add any other spices you’d like

Cover whole cukes with salt brine, leave a little head space

Place lids on lightly finger tight (so they can vent)

Place jars out of the sun, let ferment for 5 days minimum, up to 18 days. The longer you go, the more tang they will have.

Once the water turns cloudy they are good to go, but waiting even longer will add more tang.

Do not open the jar during the fermenting process (it introduces oxygen and will promote yeast growth)

Refrigerate after fermenting.

If Kahm yeast develops during fermentation, skim off and refrigerate

Monitor for Kahm yeast and skim as needed, even when refrigerated

These are by far my favorite pickles. They’re easy and are great for your body (natural pro-biotic) as well. They’re made in a similar way as sauerkraut instead of traditional canning.

Attachments:
    1. PXL_20210808_205937533-scaled.jpg

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Do you have to boil the brine to dissolve the salt?

B-man

Do you have to boil the brine to dissolve the salt?

Nope, just stir until it’s dissolved

This method doesn’t get any easier waytogo

It’s also a huge timesaver over hot bath canning. It’s nothing to whip a batch up in the middle of the week after work. The only downside is they need to be refrigerated after fermenting (takes up precious room in the beer fridge)

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Mods, please move this to recipe forum so it will be accessible longer. Thanks. Got mine canned today!

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Do either of you have a favorite type of cuke for these?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I merely picked up cukes from the farmers market on Sunday and they were mostly huge pickle size. Like 4 to a quart jar. Not unlike bmans pictures. I followed his recipe but added half a jalapeno from my garden to 2 jars. Cant wait to try them.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20210816_122627220-scaled.jpg

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Hey bman, what is the earliest I should break up the party? I only made 5 quarts so I dont want to pull one at 5 days wishing I would have let it go longer or 18 days and they are too sour. What is minimum you would try the first one?

Coletrain27

i tried these last year and mine developed alot of white mold type stuff on them ???

picklerick
    Central WI

i tried these last year and mine developed alot of white mold type stuff on them ???

Was everything completely submerged? Anything above the brine can get moldy. I haven’t fermented before but have been doing my homework lately because it sounds like it’s better at preserving nutrients than canning. From what I’ve seen, they make glass weights of various sizes for keeping the contents submerged.

This says you should skim the mold during the process so it’s normal:
    https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_06/dill_pickles.html

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Thanks. I forgot I had 4 glass weights and burp tops. I just changed 4 jars. They already smell good after one day.

Coletrain27

Well I followed your exact recipe. I’ll let them go at least a week I was thinking. Hope they turn out! peace

Attachments:
    1. 2EC464BD-D088-4CD3-B7DE-31EFCDCB4177-scaled.jpeg

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Day 3 and mine smell fantastic! Pulling the first jar to try on day 7 or 8. Will go from there.

Coletrain27

Day 3 and mine smell fantastic! Pulling the first jar to try on day 7 or 8. Will go from there.

Let us know how they are

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Thanks. I forgot I had 4 glass weights and burp tops. I just changed 4 jars. They already smell good after one day.

You should not have any mold at all with the Mason Picklers!

Coletrain27

Day 5 and my jars are cloudy. Not sure how much longer I can hold out before opening one to try

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I tried one yesterday on day 7. It was terrible. Flavor wasnt good and it was still very much like raw cucumber inside. Waiting at least another week.

Coletrain27

Thanks for the update. Guess I’ll wait longer to try one

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I found this online. We may be in for a long wait! lol

“Allow the pickles to ferment at room temperature until they turn from vivid green to a dull green, and smell pleasantly sour – at least 1 week and up to 2 months, depending on how sour you like them.”

Coletrain27

Are they suppose to look this white and cloudy? I put this jar in the fridge and just tested one. It had good flavor but could go a little longer. Been in the closet for 6 days

Attachments:
    1. 92128EB0-B503-4FA6-BB49-F042064B6E2A-scaled.jpeg

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Day 14 and totally edible! Crisp, a little sour and a little heat. I tested 2 jars and the one with the jar weight that kept everything submerged was better. I put both jars in the fridge and they will be gone soon. I’m letting the other jars go a few more days.

Coletrain27

I put all mine in the fridge on day 7. I tested them and they were way salty for me so I poured out some of the brine and added some plain water and a splash of vinegar. I like them better now

Cooperman
    Nevis, Mn.

I used B-man’s recipe, only I use my pickling crock instead of jars. In addition to the recipe I added some coriander seeds. They have perfect flavor and are so crisp. Thanks B-man!

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Bloody Mary good? Can they be cut into slears before fermenting?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I just pulled the rest yesterday. We are very happy with the results. If I could buy fresh baby cucumbers and dill all year I wouldn’t even buy pickles and just keep playing with this recipe. Ive been a big Grillos pickle fan for a long time.

Attachments:
    1. large_249c34d2-7e19-4299-ae46-4463b6f7c266.png

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.