Early season backwaters

• Brendan Andrews

I’ve made 2 trips out to the backwaters in my kayak so far this year, nothing to show for it so far. First trip was last Wednesday I went to Peterson lake near Kellogg and had to break through about 20 yards of ice to get to the open water. Had water temps between 36-38 and about 1ft vis. Saw a few shad in there but no bites, through all my usual early season lures. The wind and 38 degree rain didn’t help. Yesterday a buddy and I went down to winona and fished around the canals near prairie island as well as the launch up stream from the spillway. Water was 40-41 so it’s getting better. I saw more shad in the shallows and marked a few fish in 3-10 fow but again nothing to show for it, 20 mph winds, upper 30’s and rain made for pretty hard fishing out of a kayak. Going to make another trip on Wednesday. Hopefully with the weather in the 50’s the water warms up a few degrees and we can get some fish moving. You guys have any advice on what sort of water to look for? I’ve spent a few seasons on the backwaters but still don’t know it well. I’m not asking for any specific spots but more so what to look for structure/depth wise when trying to find early season pike. Will most likely be on pool 4, thanks

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Nice report. waytogo

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.