Eagle mid flight snack

• Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

That is a great clip. But that poor fish was alive. Cool seeing the turbulence going over the feathers when he is coming in.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

awesome…….thanks for posting it!!!!!!

it amazes me how majestic them eagles are , but there little sqeeky call is kind of funny!!!!!!!!

CaptainMusky

That is an awesome video! Thanks for sharing.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Love it!

We frequently see eagles grabbing fish out of the water, eagles swimming with fish to shore, but I don’t recall ever seeing one swallow the whole fish while in flight!

waytogo

robby
    Quad Cities

That was super neat. Thank you for sharing.

gimp

that is one cool video.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Some of the Twins hitters should keep there eye on the ball all the way to the bat like the eagle did on the fish all the way to the talons.

MX1825

Cool video Haleys! Thanks.

Deuces

that poor fish was alive

I got a kick out of the headline too.

Had a small project by lake Harriet recently and an eagle made its nest in the large tree next door. Last time there was winter and noticed the nest and thought how cool it would be to see and hear that everyday. Fast-forward to summer and first thing ya notice opening the van door is the smell of decaying flesh. Then ya notice a sunfish on the road. Being around construction sites its not uncommon for the mud, concrete, painter guys to leave lil blotches of white residue around the buildings, didn’t think much of it until ya realized it goes down the sidewalk, yard, street, good 25′ perimeter around the entire tree is speckled w yup that’s right eagle $hit. Correct me if I’m wrong but the young probably get to an age where they dump @ss outside the nest. Parents spend a good deal hanging close as well id imagine. Add in all the creatures that possibly flop out not liking the whole getting eaten alive thing they plummet 75′ down to their death only to rot in your yard.

Majestic creatures absolutely, majestic neighbors not so much. Got some cool feathers anyways.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Thats a cool video Haleys.

FinnyDinDin

Sweet video! Never seen that before.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

good 25′ perimeter around the entire tree is speckled w yup that’s right eagle $hit. Correct me if I’m wrong but the young probably get to an age where they dump @ss outside the nest.

I have witnessed other babies relieving themselves into the mothers mouth and she flies a couple of feet away to spits it out. My guess is eagles do the same to keep the nest clean.

Umy
    South Metro

That’s awesome. Love watching them around the lakes but have never seen one grab a fish. The photography is outstanding!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I had a camper on P4 that had trees just on the other side of a tributary. I was just about dark and there was a eagle squawking and making all sorts of racket. After about 30 minutes of that, I hoped it would stop before I went to bed.

Then there was the sound of a gun shot…and all was quiet.

I’m not sure if the person (before you start in, it wasn’t me) shot the eagle or was just trying to scare it away… either way, it became a peaceful night along the river.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I’ve seen a few fish grabs by eagles especially on Rainy Lake. Always neat to see the landing gear drop to grab the fish. In Itasca County I saw an eagle grab a fish too big to gain altitude with. It flew just over the water to bring it to some cat tails and then started to eat it.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Got some cool feathers anyways.

Isn’t it illegal to possess bald eagle feathers?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Felony…but I’m sure he was talking about the cool feathers of the eagles prey. whistling

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

On a side note about feathers. I wondered what the National Eagle Center did with it’s feathers.

They along with any license raptor center must send them to (don’t recall the exact name) an Eagle Feather Repository in Colorado. There they are cataloged and then sent to schools and other places of education with paper work showing they were obtained legally.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

during the winter months after we clean fish, we go put them on the lake. dont take them long to find them and clean them up!! and other scavenger birds!!!!!!!

fun to watch!! waytogo

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.