Eagle Forage Soybeans planted.

• TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I finally got enough “dry” weather that I got 1/2 of my 1.2 acre soybean plot planted on Thursday 5/31. This is actually “early” for planting at my place, it has been very difficult the past 4 years to get anything done in May due to constant rain.

I have a low spot that the tractor needs to drive through to get to the part of the plot that is dedicated to soybeans. I decided this year was the last straw, so I went into the woods with a brush cutter and cut a new road up on a ridge to get around the low spot completely. I didn’t want to spend the 2 hours, but this will pay dividends in all future years.

Unfortunately, that only left me with enough time to disc down the rye cover crop and plant half the plot. I’ll have to go up and plant the remaining half next week.

Stats:

– Planting Date: May 31, 2018

– Seed: Eagle Forage Soybeans – Wildlife Manager’s Mix North. Planted with broadcast seeder at about 65 pounds per acre and then gently disked in with low angle on the gang. Rolled after planting.

– Fertilizer: 9-20-37 Applied at planting.

Today (June 2) we got at least .75 inches of rain on the plot, which is awesome timing. Here’s hoping for a fantastic plot.

Grouse

Attachments:
    1. EFS-Planting-5.31.18.jpg

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Total of 1.75 inches of rain yesterday on this plot, so we should have beans coming up this week if things get warm again!

Wish I could have gotten the whole plot planted. Spent too much time just getting there by having to cut that new road along the ridge, but that problem had to get solved.

Back at it this week! Hopefully I’ll get the other half planted on Tuesday.

Grouse

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I trust you didn’t let us down and you got up there and planted the rest of the field??? You know what they say about excuses whistling

Question: how did you plant them? Did you get a planter or broadcast them? If I am not mistaken this is your first try at beans at your place correct?

I’d have a cam on that tree in the right of your picture. You will get a ton of great pics from it if the beans do well at all.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I could feel your stern glance upon me, Sticker. Failure/not an option/etc.

Yep, I got up there yesterday and planted, taking advantage of the 24 hours of “dry” weather. I had to plant around another low spot, but given the rain cycle we’re in, waiting for things to dry out wasn’t an option. So I have .9 acres out of 1.2 available acres planted. We’ll see if I can go back and get the low spots when it dries out.

We’ve had 4.5 inches of rain up at the farm over the last 11 days, it has literally rained every other day up there.

Speaking of the oak tree on the right in the picture, yesterday when I drove up on the ATV, a doe was laying in the shade of that oak tree with a fawn that was hours old. It was really wobbly still. I stopped at the edge of the plot when I saw her and stayed there so she wouldn’t bolt off and leave the fawn. She waited and the fawn followed slowly and I could see her bedded down in the woods watching us work.

In the part of the plot that I planted on 5/31, there were a few sproted beans laying on the surface, but not a lot sticking up, but as of yesterday it had only been 4 full days and 3 of them had been cool and rainy.

I broadcast the seeds and then disked over with no gang angle to gently bury the seeds. Then packed with a flat roller.

The plot was sprayed with gly 2 weeks ago, so it was nice and dead when I planted. Hopefully this will give me a little help with the weeds.

We’ll see what happens next week.

Grouse

bla

For the size of the plot, how many seeds did you plant? We are going to plant beans this weekend and always wonder about at what rate. Thanks

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

For the size of the plot, how many seeds did you plant? We are going to plant beans this weekend and always wonder about at what rate. Thanks

These are Eagle Forage Soybeans, so they grow a massive plant that gets 4 feet plus tall and they can withstand tremendous browsing pressure. See the complete Eagle Forage Soybeans vs Ag Beans comparison on our website.

If broadcasting Eagle Forage Soybeans, the recommended rate is 65-75 pounds per acre. I believe 75 is too heavy, so for the plot mentioned above, I went with just slightly more than one 140,000 seed count bag (about 47 pounds) for the plot above. I didn’t weigh it, but my fairly exact guess would be 50 pounds for .9 acres.

Multiple sources will tell you that it is better to under-plant soybeans than to over plant. Over-plant and you will stunt them badly, especially forage soybeans that get so huge.

Grouse

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.