E collars

• beardly
    Hastings, Mn

Puppy is about 7 months and ready for some ecollar conditioning and training. Will mainly be a grouse and duck/goose dog. Looking at Garmin, Dogtra and DT Systems. Not interested in Sportdog at all.

Any real world feedback on current models that I should use and/or stay away from?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I think its now discontinued, but I use Tri Tronics G3. Its easy to use and effective. Replace the remote 9V battery every other season depending on how often its used.

I believe they are simply under the company that owns them now, Garmin. The Delta series replaced them.

Reef W

Sportdog 1825 system has been bulletproof for 9 years now for 2 dogs. When I used to train with group the DT R.A.P.T. was great for being able to use your hands more freely at same time and is really the only unique product but more than one person had quality issues with them, that’s been a few years though so maybe they are better now. If you’re interested in the GPS ones I also have Garmin Alpha 200, and had 100 before that, and could answer questions about it. I’ve used the Tek briefly and thought it was crap compared to Alpha.

Mookie Blaylock
    Wright County, MN

I switched from Sportdog to Dogtra about 6 years ago. I think I have the 1902 which is a 2 dog system for the 1900 collar. I like the collars and I’ll continue to use Dogtra in the future.
    I don’t remember which Sportdog collar I had so not much help there.

Andrew Gilberg

I have used the Garmin Pro Sport for 4-5 years now and it has been great. Good battery life and no issues through a fair amount of abuse while grouse, pheasant, and duck hunting. Also has a couple extra features with a bark limiter and a light that I use more than I thought I would.

Gitchi Gummi

I don’t think you can go wrong with Garmin or Dogtra. No expereince with DT. I will say that most of the dogtra’s I’ve seen have really big remotes (like 2X the size of my garmin remote). Looks like the newer models have smaller remotes but that was the main thing I didn’t like about the Dogtras.

stevenoak

Anyone else have trouble with a heavy coat dog. I’ve had 2 labs that have had a coat so heavy I needed DT extended contacts, that are no longer available. My last DT died and can’t find extended contacts for current models.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’ve had an older model of the Dogtra 2700T&B for going on 7 years. Very happy with it.

Andrew Gilberg

Anyone else have trouble with a heavy coat dog. I’ve had 2 labs that have had a coat so heavy I needed DT extended contacts, that are no longer available. My last DT died and can’t find extended contacts for current models.

Can’t speak for the DT models, but the Garmin I have came with the extended contacts and looks like they still do:

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/140332#accessories

monticatgeek
    Monticello, MN

I prefer the Garmin (Tritonics) Collars. I currently have both the Garmin sport pro and the 550 model. mainly use the 550 when doing most of my training with my labs. like the sport pro when I need to be able to turn on the bark collar mode from a distance and without having to take the collar off the dog to turn it on. it gives you the ability to set the max level it will correct the dog with, so it never goes too high. with the 550 you get 21 levels (Low, Medium, & High times seven different levels of stimulation were as the sport pro only has 10 levels and are just high for each level. both of these models also have tone and vibrate mode too. they also have good battery life and do recharge fast when needed. Difference in price between the two models is only about $100.00 to $150.00 give or take a little. you can get a 550 for like $399.99 and I have seen the sport pro as cheap as $249.99.

beardly
    Hastings, Mn

Thanks everyone. I’m liking the extra couple features of the Garmin Pro and it’s on sale. The bark limiter seems pretty nice. She barely ever barks but I cant stand it when she does. I also like the remote layout vs the Dogtra. Seemed like most Dogtra doesn’t have a tone either. Alot of stuff I’ve been reading is to not use the tone but…..

dirk-w.
    Minnesota

I love the light on my Pro 550. I can spot my dog from a long ways away when he’s wondered away from the house(I live in the country) and it’s great for walking at night.

Nice Fella

I’ve used the Dogtra 1900S for about 7 years now, has worked fine; original battery, but I should probably replace. Simple, straightforward to use; has tone but I’ve never used it.
    I also have the Dogtra YS600 bark collar for in the house (I work from home and am on the phone a lot). That also works well, even when the FedEx truck pulls into the cul-de-sac! Adjustable setting.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.