Duluth Supper Clubs

• tpmorgz
    Central Iowa

Heading to Duluth in a couple weeks. Are there any supper clubs in the area you would recommend?
    Thanks.

Roy

Are you looking for a true supper club? Or is a nice fine dining experience acceptable too?

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I hear saratoga has a nice buffet jester

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

It always smells fishy in there. shock

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I really like Grandma’s down by canal park.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Mcquades pub in two harbors. Dont let the name fool you, the food is great.

bigpike

Not a supper club but my wife and I enjoyed OMC Smokehouse last time we stayed there. OMC stands for oink moo cluck so you have options…

Roy

If you’re up for a nice ride The Rustic Inn near Gooseberry Falls is outstanding. It’s a 40 minute drive up the north shore from Duluth. Otherwise like others have said the Pickwick never disappoints.

walleyewizard

When we’re up there we always have to stop at Black Woods. Fun atmosphere and great food.

Pete S

not a supper club but the Duluth Grill is always a must stop when we go that way. Great for bfast as well

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Fitgers ahs a nice dining area. My favorite is DubLinn on Superior Street. If you want to dine in style, cross over to Superior and go to the restaurant at Barker’s Island Marina.

Now if you want a true experience, go to the Anchor Bar and Grill in Superior. Pricing there is blue collar but the food is class and the beer is cold. If you are thinking lunch, get there before 11 or after 1. If dinner is your thing, best be there by 4 or expect quite a while.

tpmorgz
    Central Iowa

Are you looking for a true supper club? Or is a nice fine dining experience acceptable too?

I was hoping to find an actual supper club, we don’t have those in Iowa.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

If you’re up for a nice ride The Rustic Inn near Gooseberry Falls is outstanding.

I was going to mention this one as well. If you want a place that is a little dressier, then this fits the bill as does the Barker’s Island restaurant which will be a bit closer to Duluth. Rustin Inn is located in Castle Danger a few miles ahead of Gooseberry. Left side as you’re driving up.

Blackwoods is meh. McQuades is meh too.

One that has not been mentioned but has some super good food in an almost formal atmosphere is Cove Point which is located up the shore a bit from Duluth. You can google directions to see if its inside your driving desires but its not far from Rustic Inn. There are two restaurants on site, the first being more of a relaxed bar/grill affair seen right off the highway. By following the road down to the office you’ll find a far more formal atmosphere in the restaurant that looks out over the lake. This and the Barker’s Island site are the dressiest dining we have had along the whole shore and prices will reflect the quality not only of the meals but the charisma and atmosphere. Both offer alcohol at the table but any bars are well away from and not a part of the dining sites. The broiled Scallop dinner at Barker’s is to die for. The broiled Shrimp dinner there is something else too. The steaks and fresh Lake Superior fish at Cove Point will knock your socks off.

If you are looking for a very nice night out with just the two of you, I’d really lean towards Cove Point. If you want a drink before heading back without the formality, just stop at the bar/grill at the top of the drive.

Roy

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Roy wrote:</div>

I was hoping to find an actual supper club, we don’t have those in Iowa.

Unfortunately we don’t have many supper clubs up here anymore either. We have one just outside of Superior called Dreamland Supper Club. It’s the last one I know of. It has delicious food and last time I was there a few years ago it still had the relish tray.

Ice Cap

Buffalo House just south of Duluth is our hangout. We live about 10 minutes from it. Nice atmosphere and has a large campground. You can sit on the bar side for burgers or sandwiches and drinks or go to the restaurant side if you don’t want the bar feel. Also a nice large deck if you want outside dining.

Full menu from burgers and sandwiches to steak, pasta, Mexican etc. The broasted chicken is the best! You can substitute buffalo meat instead of regular beef on many of their burgers and sandwiches.

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

Now if you want a true experience, go to the Anchor Bar and Grill in Superior. Pricing there is blue collar but the food is class and the beer is cold. If you are thinking lunch, get there before 11 or after 1. If dinner is your thing, best be there by 4 or expect quite a while.

X2 on Anchor Bar and Grill.
    https://anchorbarandgrill.com/

Vexman

Check out boat club restaurant in fitgers

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Hugo’s in Gary / New Duluth! (okay not a supper club but spent many college days out there).

zooks

Not a true supper club, more burgers/sandwiches, but the Breeze Inn on Jean Duluth Road has been good to me in the past. It definitely is an old school, roadside hang out though.

We have one just outside of Superior called Dreamland Supper Club. It’s the last one I know of. It has delicious food and last time I was there a few years ago it still had the relish tray.

Was going to ask about this place, I’m glad someone brought it up. I’ve never stopped, only driven by when it’s closed, but this looks like the real deal to me.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

OMC Smokehouse in Duluth. Best BBQ in MN in my opinion. This place is no joke.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Pickwick is a nice place with good food. I’d also recommend checking out Russ Kendall’s Smokehouse just north of town for some smoked fish lunch

Brad Dimond

Island Lake Inn, 18 miles north of Miller Hill Mall is a decent rustic supper club. Nothing flashy but the food is good.

Duluth Grill is fantastic for breakfast (and other meals). My wife swears by the Red Flannel Hash.

OMC is also a favorite.

Drizzy Musky
    Duluth

Yea, not true supper club but Sir Bens on Superior street is excellent.

Cove Point is a great option, I always stop in there after I run the Cove Point loop (something to look into if you like the Superior Hiking Trail)

Sara’s Table has absolutely phenomenal food but is on the expensive side.

Breeze Inn is a classic, great burgers and hot hoagies (few know this)

OH YEAH how did I forget Northern Waters Smokehouse, the only real delicatessen in the area. Go there for a sammich

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

OH YEAH how did I forget Northern Waters Smokehouse, the only real delicatessen in the area. Go there for a sammich

That’s a great place too. OMC owns Corktown Deli that gives Northern Waters a run for their money.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

looks like i’ll get a chance to check out some of these eatin places.

i’ll be in duluth next week mon-tue-wed and the full week of aug 19th doing union thuggery work!!! devil waytogo

good thing i wrote most these places down you guys mentioned. waytogo whistling

Jeff Gilberg

Some good places recommended here, but not supper clubs (I guess it depends on your version of supper club). only supper clubs I can think of are dreamland (as mentioned) and the Hammond, both in WI (superior area). Hammond is right across the high bridge.
    Not many supper clubs left, apparently folks prefer overpriced “cuisine” now
    love the bread basket and relish tray

Roy

Some good places recommended here, but not supper clubs (I guess it depends on your version of supper club). only supper clubs I can think of are dreamland (as mentioned) and the Hammond, both in WI (superior area). Hammond is right across the high bridge.
    Not many supper clubs left, apparently folks prefer overpriced “cuisine” now
    love the bread basket and relish tray

I was also going to mention The Hammond but the lack of a relish tray is what made me not. Very much a supper club atmosphere though.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.