Duluth road trip

• Deleted

Looking for some must see or do things between Duluth & Two Harbors?

Haven’t been up there in years and I’m trying to remember a restaurant on the left side of 61 that was on the way up to split rock. It had the lobster stuffed walleye & smashed baby reds w/ horseradish . It was next door to an antique store 15+ yrs ago.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

The Rustic Inn is up by Gooseberry and is a great place to stop for a bite to eat and a slice of pie!

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Castle Danger brewery has some great beer!

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I believe you are talking about the Rustic Inn, as mentioned by Waldo.

I’d also suggest driving the scenic route between Duluth and Two Harbors, not the main highway. Plus, stop at Russ Kendalls smokehouse along the scenic drive in Knife River waytogo

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Just past Two Harbors. Betty’s Pies.

munchy
    NULL

Castle Danger brewery has some great beer!

Most definitely! The wife and I always try to grab a Jalapeno Popper pizza to-go from Northshore Pizza Cafe just down the street and bring it to Castle Danger brewery for a few drinks with lunch.

Deuces

Russ Kendall’s smokehouse. Grab a variety of local fishes, some cheese and crackers, find a spot by the lake and enjoy.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

That’s a real gagger of a dive. Rustic Inn has way better everything including the pies.

zooks

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>suzuki wrote:</div>

That’s a real gagger of a dive. Rustic Inn has way better everything including the pies.

X2, Betty’s Pies is bad and Rustic Inn is delicious. The Vanilla Bean in Two Harbors also has good food/coffee, the candy shop in Knife River is neat if you have a sweet tooth, and the New Scenic Inn is terrific if you want a bit fancier meal. Have fun!

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

X2, Betty’s Pies is bad and Rustic Inn is delicious. The Vanilla Bean in Two Harbors also has good food/coffee, the candy shop in Knife River is neat if you have a sweet tooth, and the New Scenic Inn is terrific if you want a bit fancier meal. Have fun!

X3
    Just took the FW up for a night at Hungry Jack lodge on the Gunflint last Saturday. Stopped and hiked Palisade Head, Tettegouche, and Temperance River trails on the way up.
    Had Sven and Ole’s for lunch Sunday, then hit Cascade river and the Sugarloaf Cove SNA for a walk, along with a slice of Rustic pie on the way back Sunday.

Just a word of warning. If your coming back down 61 on Sunday afternoon, you will hit stop and go traffic coming into 2 Harbors. Took us just over a half hour to get from just north of Betty’s Pies to the first light in 2 Harbors. (2.25 miles)

huntinforfish

You will drive by the best restaurant in the area on that route. New Scenic Cafe. Fine dining and the place is always busy. Make a reservation for dinner or swing in for lunch.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

If it’s a road trip, I’d swing into Gordy’s Hi Hat in Cloquet for lunch on your way up…

Deleted

Thanks . The Rustic Inn must be the place. I do remember they had better pies than the other “pie” place.

Great feedback, thanks!

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

We always stop at the candy shop in knife river when we go. Last time up we ate at the Ledge rock between there and two harbors and it was good too.

The iron range Depot museum was cool too if you like learning history stuff like that.

B-man

A trip to Duluth or the North Shore without a boat in the rearview mirror is a trip wasted mrgreen

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Gotta stop at Russ Kendall’s. North shore icon for sure.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Yea well I like Lou’s over Kendals too so I guess Im just “different”. )

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

A trip to Duluth or the North Shore without a boat in the rearview mirror is a trip wasted mrgreen

This is the correct answer.

Deuces

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Tom Sawvell wrote:</div>

Will have to stop there next time. Thanks for tip.

But with fresh smoked fish, is there really any bad ones? grin

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Yea well I like Lou’s over Kendals too so I guess Im just “different”.

I like the fish I smoke so I don’t stop at either place. Many shrinks say its ok to be “different”, so you’re safe regardless.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Tom Sawvell wrote:</div>

Will have to stop there next time. Thanks for tip.

But with fresh smoked fish, is there really any bad ones? grin

Widely known for their beef jerky. That’s why I always stop there. I love it in limited quantities. Real rich so easy to over do. (after about 3 days of eating it…..) )

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Russ Kendall’s smokehouse. Grab a variety of local fishes, some cheese and crackers, find a spot by the lake and enjoy.

Yep, this is the right answer.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Suzuki….is that jerky pressed ground meat or whole muscle? I do whole muscle and a guy has to be careful just how much he gnaws down at a time. Not careful it can really plug a guy up.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Suzuki….is that jerky pressed ground meat or whole muscle? I do whole muscle and a guy has to be careful just how much he gnaws down at a time. Not careful it can really plug a guy up.

Whole muscle and cut thick. It’s been a few years. I need to get back up there.

B-man

T

M

I

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

After over 30 years of spending a lot of time up there with the cabin and all we’ve had the chance to get into just about every food shop there is and the smokers all do a knock-out job on their goodies. Just really expensive. About 25 years ago a guy opened a sausage shop up in Beaver Bay. He had abut 30 flavors of bratwurst, all kinds of flavors of ring bologna and summer sausages as well as Scandinavian sausages and jerky. He was only open two years, but I think the best of the best left when he closed his doors.

His jerky was whole muscle and cut thick and to die for almost. I have no idea where he came into the meat, but our last visit to his place he has moose jerky. I bought a couple pounds of it and it was heaven in its simplest form. I do miss his little business.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.