Duluth and St. Louis shore fishing for trouts, salmons and other fish.

• Phuoc H Nguyen

Hey everyone,
    How is your season going so far? My is great but I’m still missing trouts and salmons for my collection. I heard that at this time of the year the Coho will gather at the channel leads from lake Superior to St.Louis river. Today I drove 2 and a half hours to get there and spent 4 hours catching only some mudskippers and babies perch, got one 4lbs Smallies but it snapped my line. I’m wondering can you help me out, where to fish for trout and salmon from shore? What kind of bait/lure? What type of rig? This is my first season in MN so I know nothing about them. In addition, if you guys can share some spots or tricks for St.Louis walleyes, crappies, catfish or muskies will be great.Hope to hear from you guys soon. Thank you! wave

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

The trout season ended yesterday at the close of the day. You can still fish for salmon.

Shore spots are “iffy” at best and largely dependent on the wind as well as time of year. Also, any shore spot that offers a decent bite will be packed with people if the bite is on.

River mouths offer some fishing either by fly fishing the river itself or casting the mouth where said river dumps into the lake. Only single hook lures can be used within 100 feet of the river though.

Breakwaters are often good fishing. Travel the other 25 miles to Two Harbors and cast that breakwater. Even if a bite is happening there’ll be room for you.

Phuoc H Nguyen

Thank you Ron and Tom I wish I have read this earlier.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

If it were me I’d grab a non-res Wisconsin license and hit the rivers along the south shore. Kings and cohos should still be wandering around and browns will take over when the salmon bite wanes.

Phuoc H Nguyen

Well, I’ll grab one next season, it’s kinda late to buy one ^^. This season I’ve seen a lot of good spots on Wisconsin side (

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.