Duluth Airshow

• Baitwaster
    South metro

Considering heading up to the Duluth airshow this Saturday with my son. Never been there. Anyone been there with any advice?

Other than earplugs, binos, and sunscreen…

Thanks!

B-man

We “tried” going last year, it was a complete $hit-show. We couldn’t even get in, sat in line/traffic for two hours and then the show started. We ended up just parking in a lot on the highway and watched from there.

They wouldn’t refund our tickets, even though their incompetence and unorganization caused us to miss the show.

If you’re set on going, show up at 6:00 or 7:00 to be towards the front of the line. Two hours early isn’t early enough, and I can’t imagine how long it would take to get out of there after the show.

I don’t have near the patience to ever attempt going again.

Baitwaster
    South metro

Alright – good info B-man…

Was also wondering about the whole finding a side lot or somewhere to park with a view. Set up some chairs in the truck bed with a cooler and snacks type set-up.

That info kinda steers me to a park-n-ride type setup. I see they have a few available. If I get set on getting in, may be an early start and hit the shuttle is in order.

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

Last year my old man & I just brought chairs and sat in the grass at the Kwik Trip. Seats were plenty good for us.

Gitchi Gummi

there is no need to go to the airport to watch the airshow if you are fine watching at a distance. the planes fly all over duluth and surrounding areas. there are a bunch of random parking lots around town that you can set up in and watch the show for free like IceNEyes said. Obviously its not as cool as being at the airport but as B-man said, its a sh*t show there. Check out google maps and find nearby businesses that will be closed on the weekend and park in their parking lot. Otherwise, PM me and I can give you a couple suggestions

Another possibility would be to launch a boat in Rice Lake and watch the show from the south side of the lake from the boat. Rice Lake is about 2 miles directly north of the airport. Not exactly sure what the viewing would be like from there but I think it’d be about the same as watching from a random parking lot in town. I usually avoid that entire area on the airshow days because traffic is pretty crazy, so I don’t know the routes the planes take but if you’re within a couple miles of the airport, you’re going to see some planes.

ThunderLund78

I’ve seen the Blue Angels a bunch of times and no matter how many times you see them, they leave you in awe. Sorry to say I wont be able to make it to Duluth to see them this weekend, but for those thinking about it, I will say this…

Yes, you could watch from a parking lot near the airport and you’ll see planes but you wont experience the show. All of their maneuvers are based on “Show Center” IE the area in front of the crowd. That’s where the they’re at their lowest, fastest and tightest and where the oooooh and ahhhhh moments come from. Also, for as cool as the jets are in the air, their ground routine is just as mind-blowing – how the team walks up to the jets, how they work with their crew chiefs to fire the planes up, how the crews for all 6 jets are in complete synch with their activities and motions, how the jets taxi in formation. It’s all AWESOME and you can’t see that part if you’re not actually there. It’s all about what you want to see vs what you wat to deal with. But I personally think the struggle is worth it.

jwellsy

Take a radio. Try to find out what frequency they will broadcast the show info on. Many airshows with simulcast the show over FM radio so you can get some good info on what you’re seeing or what to watch for. IF you have an aviation band shortwave it’s cool to listen in on the pilots too.

Edit: looking at their website B105 is one of their sponsors. So FM105 may carry it live.

Baitwaster
    South metro

Hey TL –

Agree with the post about the “ground game” of the Angels. Watched a video on the tube of last year’s show, and their walkup to the plane up to the takeoff was just as impressive as the aerial show. Then the return and exit was just as cool and choreographed.

I’ll have to see how excited I can get the boy about it. I told him we’d hit the shoreline and look for agates, now that’s his focus!

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

I went to it Many years ago. We arrived 3 hours early and did get in. Back then they had airplanes you could inspect and even some you could go up ladder in cockpit. They where also giving rides to the North Pole and back on the Concorde. That was in 1987 Was an amazing show. But poorly organized. I would arrive very early if I were to go again. Seeing a C-130 to short / no runway take of using rockets was amazing as well as F16 going vertical off runway until it was out of sight and hearing range.
    MWal

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.