Duck opener

• sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

We are less than 50 hours til duck opener in MN. Who’s going and roughly what area of the state?

Any good reports on duck numbers?

I’ll be in the Fergus Falls area and from what I have seen the last 2 weekend up there working on the blinds and docks, I am not impressed. Plenty of water up there this year, but rice crop is terrible and the duck sightings have been minimal at best. I hoping this cooler weather and the other hunter activity will get some birds moving Saturday morning. Been a few years since I had even a good duck opener, much less a great one. Either way I’ll be out there waiting for them. smash smash

Aaron Kalberer

Detroit lakes area I have been seeing decent numbers, nothing phenomenal but Id say slightly higher than last year.

404 ERROR
    MN

Far western MN. Numbers of teal are very good. Haven’t seen or heard of much for other birds in my area, but they’ll eventually show up. Probably not in the next couple days, however…

Justin riegel

scouted my normal east central mn areas last weekend and the rice was terrible and lowest number of ducks i have seen scouting. i am going to bow in the morning and then do some more scouting closer to home, hoping for the best.

jetdriver
    Hudson WI

Have to wait another week in Wisconsin. I’ll either on the river or closer to Hudson. Saw several on water last week at first light but not any activity much after sunrise. Planning a scouting/goose hunt on river first of next week.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Stay safe. Good shooting.

Justin Laack
    Austin,mn

Ill be heading to my usual haunt down in the faribault area. Hoping to be to the buddies place on the lake by 4 tomorrow to get the festivities started… Bird numbers looked good back on goose opener. Youth day sounded like it was pretty good as well. But with all the rain we have now gotten, that is gonna spread the birds out into the flooded fields. Not much for celery in the lakes around this year either, but we still usually do pretty well. Last year was shorts and tank tops, this year will be warm coats and hooded sweatshirts. With the big wind and temp shift, that should push some birds out and bring new birds into the area for the weekend.

Can’t wait to taste the first duck bites of the 2018 season!!

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Clinton Beardsley Barry Graceville area.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Chisago area. Private body of water. Been seeing lots of teal and divers but not much else. And the geese have been thick.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Good luck guys!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Oh boy I’m excited. Tomorrow by this time I should have a limit, I hope

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

By this time tomorrow I will be trying to decide which tree to sit in come 4pm. I have zero confidence I will have my duck limit, but it’s still going to be a great morning on the pond. I can almost hear the whistling wings as the horizon start to lighten…. woot

deertracker

Guess I’ll just go to work… moon
    DT

deertracker

It’s 43* in Alexandria right now with a very stiff wind.
    DT

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I am planning to go but I don’t have my hopes set up very high. The last few years have been poor. There just isn’t a lot around and when the main migration comes, I’m deer hunting instead. At least it won’t be hot and humid out there. Nothing worse than standing there in chest waders when its unbearably hot out.

Hoyt4
    NULL

Can’t wait for tomorrow going to be my 31st opener up at Red with my old man. Hoping to get some walking in jump shooting the ditches and rice patties. The few years the bird numbers have been great for us. Geese down last year but ducks where everywhere. Fingers crossed same this year.

Hoping to pop a grouse or two also.

Good luck all heading out in the morning

tornadochaser

Decided I’m going to head up to MN saturday afternoon to do some cabin work/fishing, might as well buy the NR license and hunt sunday morning. Nice thing is none of my spots will get hunted saturday so they should pick up some birds from area pressure and be good for sunday morning.

zachary Wietzema

Went out this weekend near Worthington MN and shot our limit both days of teal and woodducks. Started to see a few mallards. there are more numbers overall here than last year. shaping up to be a good season!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.