Duck hunting newby

• Deke12

I was wondering if a 24″ barrel is too short. The exact barrel is the mossberg 535 turkey barrel with an xx full choke. Thanks

jwellsy

Get a box of clay pigeons and a simple hand thrower go out with a buddy and take turns throwing for each other. That’l give you a good idea how your gun shoots and which choke would be best for birds.

jetdriver
    Hudson WI

Choke is more important than barrel length. XX full is way to much choke. Get at least a modified and maybe improved. Steel shot tends to group tighter than lead. Plus your trying to hit a moving target.

riverruns
    Inactive

Yep. Go to a range and shoot some steel through it. 24″ seems short but maybe not. Try a modified chock with steel shoot. I don’t think the choke you mentioned will work with steel shot??

Jeff mattingly
    Lonsdale, Mn

I have a benelli M1 in a 24 inch barrel. I have shot numerous ducks and geese with it. I prefer the shorter barrel, easier to pull up and swing faster. Guys I hunt with have switched to 24 inch barrels as well. Early season I shoot an improved cylinder for early season small ducks, and a modified for geese and late season bigger ducks. If I had to choose I would go modified all the time.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Just to interject here that some of the super tight turkey chokes are NOT rated for steel shot. Before you test fire, make sure steel shot is safe through that specific choke. I recall seeing extra full choke tubes that were stamped “NO STEEL SHOT”. May or may not apply to the Mossberg but wanted to bring it up.

Grouse

bowtecmike
    Zimmerman mn

Get a piece of cardboard 4’x4′ stand back 25 yards and take a shot with the modified choke and steel shot I prefer #3 early season and late season I go down to #1 for bigger ducks. But use that cardboard if you can find a few pieces even better and pattern your shotgun on the cardboard. Then Like everyone said start shooting a few clays with it.

Deke12

Ok thanks for all the advice

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

Just to interject here that some of the super tight turkey chokes are NOT rated for steel shot. Before you test fire, make sure steel shot is safe through that specific choke. I recall seeing extra full choke tubes that were stamped “NO STEEL SHOT”. May or may not apply to the Mossberg but wanted to bring it up.
    Grouse

As Grouse stated above: Rule number one, be sure you can!!!

Then pattern, then shoot at moving targets… be they caly birds or actual birds…

Mark

404 ERROR
    MN

I have been using a Winchester Super X2 24″ for the last 5 years. I use it for everything from Trap, Turkey, doves, ducks and geese. Never once have I wished I had a longer barrel. Choke is what matters and I have found that the factory chokes (invector plus) from Winchester are almost just as good as the aftermarkets.

I am almost 100% sure that the choke in question is not rated for steel shot. Head to your local sporting goods store and find a factory Mod or Carlsons Mod, both will be rated for steel and should offer a full pattern when using steel. I repeat, DO NOT shoot steel out of an XX full turkey choke unless it specifically states it can shoot it on the choke tube.

Deke12

Ok thanks again

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.