Dry Lake #2 South Dakota

• bob

First post – long time lurker. My dad and Uncle will be fishing Dry lake #2 the third week of this month. Just looking for any general tips or ideas. Look forward to getting into the perch!

tim hurley

Who would want to fish a dry lake? welcome to the open sunshine, nice bull BTW

chomps
    Sioux City IA

Perch will be very hard to find, have not heard a peep as far as the walleye go. Too bad that the bait shop closed, that was a good place to ask.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Is that the Dry lake by Willow lake?

Jeffrey Trapp
    Milbank, SD

Yes it is the dry by willow lake. The rumor is that many fish were moved out of there to other lakes due to the low water. I’d imagine that is why there isn’t a crazy bite their like years past.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Yes it is the dry by willow lake. The rumor is that many fish were moved out of there to other lakes due to the low water. I’d imagine that is why there isn’t a crazy bite their like years past.

That’s too bad.
    Haven’t been out there for a couple years and sad to hear that the bait shop closed down too.

bob

Ole boy…This thread is making it difficult for me to be optimistic. Looks like we might be heading for Castle Rock Lake in Wisconsin sooner rather then later if the bite is as bad as you guys predict.

brueggemanate
    NW Iowa

What I’ve heard and I can’t say it’s true or not just what a friend heard this spring is they netting a bunch of walleyes and I’d assume perch too and moved them to Whitewood lake to the south and drained dry lake #2 (no pun intended). I don’t want to spread bad rumors that are not true bc I don’t live around there but that’s what I heard and I repeat I don’t know if that’s true or not.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Lot of lakes closer than castle rock to try.

tornadochaser

Dry was not drained.
    Dry, like many other lakes, has fish netted from time to time to stock in other lakes.
    Dry was stocked with 3,500,000 walleye fry this summer, and the same in 2015, and the same in 2013. Perch have not been stocked since 2000. they are self sustaining.
    Dry has had a good bite for eyes and perch if you put time in. So have dozens of other lakes in SD.

Trolling, casting, jigging, bobber/minnow all turning eyes & perch right now all over the state.

Red Reno

The bite on the lake was fantastic about a month ago for 2 weeks. The fall bite is doing ok but water is low and you need to be careful of a couple sunken roads. PM me for a little more info if you would like.

bob

It’s been determined that we will be going to lake poinsett tomorrow instead of dry lake.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Good luck! Report back!

tornadochaser

It’s been determined that we will be going to lake poinsett tomorrow instead of dry lake.

Don’t limit yourself to just one lake if you aren’t catching fish. Poinsett can be fun, especially if you can find a school of active perch and can stay on them, with lots of small to “eater” sized eyes mixed in and random crappie and catfish, but there are some really really really good bites on other lakes within say…30-45 miles for walleyes, with very little pressure. Where ever you end up, good luck!

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Colin Amenda wrote:</div>

Don’t limit yourself to just one lake if you aren’t catching fish. Poinsett can be fun, especially if you can find a school of active perch and can stay on them, with lots of small to “eater” sized eyes mixed in and random crappie and catfish, but there are some really really really good bites on other lakes within say…30-45 miles for walleyes, with very little pressure. Where ever you end up, good luck!

What direction? ????

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Colin Amenda wrote:</div>

What direction?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.