Drotto latch for Competitor 185 tiller

• GoldWinger

I have a new-to-me 185 Competitor tiller with roller trailer. Wondering if anyone uses Drotto latch and how you like it

Ike Sell

Haven’t spent the money for one… if you have a roller trailer, the boat will want to run down off the trailer very easily. Big problem if you are launching the boat by yourself like i do. I use a quick release snap shackle and a spring snap link together with a line ties to the snap link. At the landing I attach the snap link to the bow eye and hook the safety chain to the quick release snap shackle. I back in the boat and trailer, let the winch lower the boat…that wants to run on down the roller trailer till the boat Is held by the safety chain. Then take the winch strap off, grab my line and pull the release on the snap shackle. Boat rolls right on down the trailer when I want it to. Piece of cake. The benefit of having the Drotto latch for me would be when loading the boat back on the trailer, for sure. However I have a spare tire mounted on the trailer that lets me take out about 3 feet of winch strap and lay the hook on top of the tire. Then I pull up on the trailer to very near the top, leave the motor on in gear to hold the boat in place, then go up front, lean over and hook the strap to the bow eyelet. Climb out and with a few cranks I’m ready to go. If you go with the Grotto, might as well get the steps mounted on your trailer so you can get out easy.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0499.jpeg

Walleye Hungry

I have a new-to-me 185 Competitor tiller with roller trailer. Wondering if anyone uses Drotto latch and how you like it

Yes. After owning one i will never have a naked roller trailer again.

2021 comp 185 tiller

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Yes get one, easy one person load unload. Worth every penny

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

If you stick with the roller trailer – I’d get one.

With that said, I will never own another roller trailer. Buy a bunk trailer and there’s no need for a Drotto and the entire process is easier, with less moving parts on the trailer.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.