Driving Nav Aid

• jwellsy

I think it’s finally time I graduate from paper road maps to something more modern. I think many people use smartphone apps. I would prefer some kind of stand alone unit that doesn’t have a monthly fee. I think Garmin has some GPS road map units. But, I have no idea how they compare to whatever options are out there. I tried watching some youtubes, but couldn’t find what I’m looking for. The only smartphone I have access to an Android workphone, but I really don’t want to use that data. Any recommendations on units to look at?

10klakes

Paper road maps still exist? (joking. I have one in the glove box for emergencies only) I’d say 98% of people use a smartphone for navigation.

If you are allowed to use the workphone, and it is only a data use concern, I wouldn’t be worried. Google maps uses such little data, plus you can download the route via wifi before leaving to save data and incase you lose coverage. Looking at my different apps data usage- I average 70-100mbs of google maps data/month. In August I took two road trips several hours each, plus normal use around. I used 180 mbs TOTAl. 0.18 gig’s is miniscule for most plans.

CaptainMusky

Are you going to use this in your car or do you want it handheld? You could upgrade the stereo in your vehicle and it would have android auto and apple carplay which would use your phones apps for navigation. The beauty of that is its always updated. My son did this in his 2004 pontiac vibe and its awesome. I was thinking of doing it in my wifes 2012 Yukon but we are going to be moving on from that somewhat soon.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Google Maps on your work phone is the best option, and I’d doubt your employer would have a problem with you using it to get around in a timely manner. Is it on a very limited Data Plan? Otherwise, newish vehicles have GPS built in that is ok, but doesn’t update for road Constuction or traffic like Google maps does.

Riverrat

If you have to get a pay by month smartphone and use Google Maps. It shows traffic and detours up to date. It also has Satellite view which is handy to see terrain features around different areas, and to snipe other shore anglers fishing spots by looking for their dirt clearings.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Not sure why you would want a stand alone One. If you already have a smart phone their are many good Apps. I personally use the Waze App. It has never failed me and is really accurate. On my last trip over 800 Miles away, the projected arrival time was only off by about 10 minutes. That was due to a longer border delay. It also has a user feature that allows users to show Police location as well as other road issues. Each user can then confirm its still there or gone. Real helpful. Its show current road construction and traffic backup and offers alternative routes. I had a stand alone Garmin one for a year. I like the phone app much better.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.