Double bow eye and drotto

• poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

I’ve been considering adding a drotto latch to my trailer for longer than I will admit, after watching the videos on it I am concerned that the upper bow eye is going to give me trouble? I then did some more digging and I’m thinking that it(upper eye) was added by a previous owner as all the pictures I can find of early 2000 era pro sports I do not see any with two bow eyes. I use it some, mostly because it’s been there and could just as well use the lower as well. So, assuming it would cause an issue with the drotto, anyone have bright ideas on how to seal off the holes if I took that upper one off is some fashion that would be both waterproof and not an eyesore? So far easiest idea I can come up with is to leave it and just carefully grind the eye off as close to the keel rib as I can, basically getting rid of what would get in the way while leaving the part that penetrated the hull/rib intact. I’ve not looked in the bow storage area yet but I am assuming it’s just bolted in, nor do I know for sure if it would be in the way since I haven’t yet actually bought the latch.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20200105_184350.jpg

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Your idea is sound and yes, it is just bolted on the inside of the keel.

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

Your correct, there was no second bow eye on the early 2000’s ProSports.

I had a 2000 1700 Propsport and my father in law had a 2003/4 and neither had two (and I have never seen any other ProSport out on the water with two.)
    I think your idea would be fine, and yes there is just 2 nuts that hold the eye on.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

It may be a non-issue. The upper eye appears to me that it may be far enough away as to not cause any interference.
    I’d send the photo along with a measurement to Drotto for their opinion. Otherwise removing it sounds like an easy option.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Could always fill and grind JB Weld to seal up any gaps, too.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Good idea sending it in to them, also figure when I finally get around to buying it is always find out then too.

I can only remember getting hung up with that eye on the roller once and it was a wired landing (and I was standing up front too), once I walked towards the back it lifted right off.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Your bow post looks adjustable too, once you get the latch you might decide the upper eye is a better one to use/reach.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Your bow post looks adjustable too, once you get the latch you might decide the upper eye is a better one to use/reach.

Thought that too, not sure if it can go high enough but another avenue to check on as well.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.