Small Munsterlander

• lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

I was toying with the idea of buying a Small Munsterlander pup. Has anybody had any experiences with this breed of bird dog? Any info would be appreciated.

Gator Hunter

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Gator,I had a friend that bought one last year.They look alot like a English Setter when full grown.They are a old German breed with great retriever genes in them.I’ll get ahold of him and he can put what he knows on this post.Best of luck.
    Ryan Hale

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Gator,I had a friend that bought one last year.They look alot like a English Setter when full grown.They are a old German breed with great retriever genes in them.I’ll get ahold of him and he can put what he knows on this post.Best of luck.
    Ryan Hale

aprock
    Kingsley, Iowa

Gator. I think I’m the guy Ryan is talking about. I bought a SMP this past summer. Great Dog! They are very intelligent. Had him out this season and he did very fine for a very young pup. In Germany they use them for pheasants, ducks, rabbits, even bears – you name it, they will hunt it or track it. These dogs have medium length hair – always brown and white in some proportion/pattern or another. There are a few websites out there devoted to this rare breed. While doing my search for a dog I never had a problem getting advice/info from any of these folks. Most had pedigrees of their breed stock posted on their websites along with NAVHDA scores.

Gosch, Lonesome Dove, Hunting Hills are a few of the kennels with websites that I know of.

If you need any further info let me know.

Tony

aprock
    Kingsley, Iowa

Gator. I think I’m the guy Ryan is talking about. I bought a SMP this past summer. Great Dog! They are very intelligent. Had him out this season and he did very fine for a very young pup. In Germany they use them for pheasants, ducks, rabbits, even bears – you name it, they will hunt it or track it. These dogs have medium length hair – always brown and white in some proportion/pattern or another. There are a few websites out there devoted to this rare breed. While doing my search for a dog I never had a problem getting advice/info from any of these folks. Most had pedigrees of their breed stock posted on their websites along with NAVHDA scores.

Gosch, Lonesome Dove, Hunting Hills are a few of the kennels with websites that I know of.

If you need any further info let me know.

Tony

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Gator, I came real close to getting a small muensterlander a year ago and am still toying with the idea.The only thing that stopped me is that the dog was disqualified from breeding because of a poorly formed tail. they are very stringent about their beeding. Looking at the NAVHDA website will give some good info on the versatile dog breeds.My understanding is that the SMP is similar to Draathars in its abilities but has a milder temperment. Good Luck,I bet your excited.

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Gator, I came real close to getting a small muensterlander a year ago and am still toying with the idea.The only thing that stopped me is that the dog was disqualified from breeding because of a poorly formed tail. they are very stringent about their beeding. Looking at the NAVHDA website will give some good info on the versatile dog breeds.My understanding is that the SMP is similar to Draathars in its abilities but has a milder temperment. Good Luck,I bet your excited.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.