German Shorthair Pointer

• pool5hunter
    South East,Mn

I have started the process of looking for a dog. I was just seeing if you guys had any breeder recommendations or friends with good dogs. The dog won’t be a big hunter mostly a friend and companion shed hunting, shroom hunting, and anything outdoors. Any info is welcome. Thanks

bowhuntmn

Good choice on the breed!
    My dad used to breed GSP’s back in the day, but has since given it up. A good friend of mine has bought several from a guy in Iowa, I could get you this info if you would like. They come out a bit on the smaller side, but are always phenomenal hunters and house dogs.
    Mine? I pretty much rescued her. I bought her on a whim, an absolute split second decision. I found an ad in the paper one morning, with no intention of owning a dog at the end of that day, and bought her within 3 hours! The place was a dumpy kennel, but the parents have a phenomenal blood line.
    If I did it all over again, my dad was furious with me, I would check kennels nearby (google it, there are quite a few around) and look at the operation, ask for papers, to see previous puppies, parents, etc.

Check out the litters from the Horse & Hunt Club located in Savage, MN.

The hunt club owner, Bill Urseth, has been breeding shorhairs for over 20 years and they have some fantastic bloodlines. That line is also well known for producing great house dogs as well.

I’ve had 2 shorhairs from that line and I had great results with both of them.

bowhuntmn

I’ve heard of Bill, all positive. Definitely someone to look into.
    Justin, have you kept either dog as an outside dog?
    My dad is convinced that a good hunting dog is meant to be an outside kennel dog. His dogs were purely for hunting purposes, but I just do not see very many outdoor dogs anymore. I actually had intentions of making mine an outdoor dog, but I just do not have the heart to have one lone dog kenneled up outside year round; heated kennel or not. She has no body fat, and obviously has really short, uninsulated fur that has her shivering outside unless we’re hunting/hiking.

Both of my dogs were inside dogs and honestly don’t think it had any bearing on their hunting instincts. If anything I think it helped them become more obedient when out in the field.

If you’re interested in learning more about the specific HHC bloodline, Bill Urseth actually wrote a book a few years back called “The Line” which explains the bloodline from the beginning to present day. Quite an interesting read!

By the way, our shorthairs look very similar!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.