Help, My Chocolate Lab Has allergies

• damman
    Pepin county Wi

My 2 yo Chocolate has had allergies from the get go. I have had her to the vet which she recomended switching dogfood which I did change to science diet.That didn’t help either, back to the vet and she started giving her monthly shots which help for about 2 weeks and then right back to the constant scratching which sometimes she scratches down to a bald spot. I have also tried benadryle which the vet recommended but to no avail. My question is have any of you had a dog with allergies where they scratch constantly and is there any home remedies one might try to at least help with this?

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Have you tried searching the old posts here, seems I remember a very good post on this subject some time ago. I’ll do some looking for you later if you can’t find anything.

damman
    Pepin county Wi

I haven’t gone back to look but if you find something I would appreciate it.

skineboy
    Red Wing, MN

I feel for you. I have a shorthair that is 8 now and has had them for most of his life. I tried EVERYTHING. Had him to the U of M a few times and they put him on a cocktail of drugs that made him have seizures so I said enough of that. He has been on Prednisone for the last 5 years. It is literally the only thing that works for him. The vets said it will most likely shorten his life, but he would have no skin left by now if he weren’t on it. Good luck, I hope you find something that works for your pal.

corey_waller
    hastings mn

definatly got to keep trying a few more dog foods. a buddy of mine had to go thru 4 different kinds before he got the right one. now she is fine with no symptoms. science diet really is just an o.k. dog food any way. look for a hypoalergenic food, Ken ended up with Nutro Herring or Venison. Check it out

jay55447
    Plymouth MN.

Try getting away from a chicken based dog food. A lot of dogs are allergic to chicken. I had the same problem years ago. Nothing but ear infection after ear infection tried differant foods and finally figured out it was chicken. She is now 17 and still going. Lamb and rice is what i ended up with.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I seem to remember when switching foods that you really need to give them 90 days before you can make a decision, so it can take a lot of time. I think new food is your best bet, though Keep at it.

troyrozeske

I had the same thing in a lab of mine. I switched to the “Native” brand of dog food and she cleared right up. Don’t know if that would help you, but worth looking into.

Glenn571
    cold spring mn

one question, do you use a metal collar? my chocolate lab had reactions to the metal choker collar we used. she would get like sores andscabs on here tummy. then noticed her getting raw where the collar sat. took it off and all went away. now use a vinyl type and no problem.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.