Hanks Leg????

• chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

You could always post some questions here. There are a number of really good lakes in the area…Battle, Ottertail just to name a couple.

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

Ive got family that lives on that lake, ill get some gps cordinates for you or give you the cell phone number of a few of the people that live there. they will be more then willing to help

Make sure you stop in at the purple palace and have a cold one, going there is worth the trip in itself ill try and get you some information as soon as possible

baldwin4
    NE IA

Quote:

Ive got family that lives on that lake, ill get some gps cordinates for you or give you the cell phone number of a few of the people that live there. they will be more then willing to help

Make sure you stop in at the purple palace and have a cold one, going there is worth the trip in itself ill try and get you some information as soon as possible

Sounds great, shoot me a PM

col._klink
    St Paul

Hank is a black lab almost a year old. Yesterday I noticed he was limping a little bit. I checked his leg rubbed it pretty hard and he just looked and me wagging his tail.

Today he wont even walk on it and has not gotten up since last night.

If it was broken he would be yelping if I touched it right?

I think I need to take him to the vet. Any ideas??

czechsm
    Western Wisconsin

Bring him the vet and have him looked at. While you have him in have a Lymes test also. Lymes can cause lameness especially in the hind quarters.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Did he injure it? Could be a ligament, too. I’d say a vet visit is in order.

prieser
    Byron, MN

If you couldn’t walk, would you go to the doctor? It might be nothing, could be serious. How many times have you heard “If we’d only caught it sooner” ??? Good luck

col._klink
    St Paul

Just got back from the vet no broken bones. Wrapped him up pretty good for a sprained joint. Man he is a heavy dog carrying him outside to go pee.

I forgot to ask the vet but he has has not gone pee yet today. Or touched his food. Any ideas about that?

jay55447
    Plymouth MN.

Back to the vet he should go. If he isnt eating I would look at lymes as stated above. no broken bones is good. What about acl???? Did you get a lymes test if not asap while there is still time if that be the case.

Don Hanson

Yep, check for lymes. Dogs with acl injuries usually will still function, they just will keep stress and weight off the injured leg. Not wanting to eat or walk are symtoms of lymes.

corey_waller
    hastings mn

only three things make me worry about my dog #1 wont eat (madison loves to eat) #2 drink #3 wont move or go outside If I got one of the three I will give her a day or so before I go to the vet if I got 2 or more its off to the vet I go. sounds like you got all 3 and if you dont get very good answers Id find a different vet.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

only three things make me worry about my dog #1 wont eat (madison loves to eat) #2 drink #3 wont move or go outside If I got one of the three I will give her a day or so before I go to the vet if I got 2 or more its off to the vet I go.

I like your guidelines

col._klink
    St Paul

After reading about lymes in dogs I decided to go to a different vet!! From researching Hank fit the mold. Cant believe the 1st vet I took him to never mentioned it!

Took him to a different vet this morning. The vet looked at him and told me he has lymes. Took a blood sample and 15 min later the test was postive.

He got a shot with cortizone and was givin Doxycycline 100 mg 2 pills 2x per day with food. We got home from the vet and a half hour later he ate a bunch of food and finally drank!

What a relief. I was really worried. Needless to say if your dog’s joint’s are swelling up and they are having a hard time walking take them in! Get a lymes test asap. Even though he has Frontline once a month the vet said they still can get tick bites.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Hopefully the meds will make my best buddy better soon.

dennisdalan
    St Cloud, MN

Good news! Not that Hank has Lymes, rather the 2nd vet caught it. Bad on the 1st vet.

Get well Hank!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Cripes! Scary that a vet missed that! Nice work on getting a second opinion on your bud I hope he recovers quickly!!!

jay55447
    Plymouth MN.

from now tell they day he dies youll want to have him checked once a year as he will never get rid of it. run him on a course of doxcylene once and a while (maybe every 2-3yrs) just to be sure.

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Great news and great advise guys!

col._klink
    St Paul

almost 3 weeks later Hank the pup is back to his old self!!! So happy the vet figured out the problem!!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.