Tick prevention

• jay55447
    Plymouth MN.

I’ve seen a few posts of tick prevention. Frontline which seems to be the leader in the industry, there patent has expired this year so there are some generics out there that can be purchased at half the price “fiproguard” is one that I have seen it Contains Fipronil and (S)-methoprene – the active ingredients used in FRONTLINE Plus. I my self havent used it yet but am thinking of giving it a try.

jt_fish

Thanks for the information. I have used the cheaper tick brands at walmart and fleetfarm, they have all worked somewhat, I would like to find a generic Frontline plus, who would carry that product?

JT

jay55447
    Plymouth MN.

Google fiproguard you should find several places. sams club I think is the cheaest. petsmart and petco have it so depending on where you live??? you can get it from kv vet online I saw it in there last catalog on the back if you get or see a copy

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Frontline is not 100% effective. I have many years behind this product so I know firsthand. I evern appyly monthly which is max dose and my dog still occasionally gets engorged ticks that are kicking after I tear them out full of blood. Better than nothing for sure.

jay55447
    Plymouth MN.

I never said it was 100% affective. None of the products are but they are one of the leaders in the industry. I was simply giving people the info on the patent and there are generic brands out there now. If you want 100% stay home teach the dog to use the toilet

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I was merely stating my experience for the benefit of all.

I have no idea why you would come after me like that.

steve_white
    St Germain, WI

I know I have posted about this somewhere before. SO won’t go into a lot of detail unless needed.

The cheapest way to take care of ticks is with 37% permethrin straight. You can buy a QT for less than $20 on amazon. Brain not working fully yet, but that is a lot of doses!! You can apply this in a lot of ways. You can go with 3cc straight on the average lab sized dog. Draw up in a syringe and apply like anything else. I have been diluting down in a garden sprayer. Then hosing the dogs down. Normally I use 1 OZ per gallon of water. Most of the time I am doing this on a weekly basis throughout the summer. I then also use the same sprayer and spray the kennel, houses, and runs. I then will also put it in a ortho sprayer. Set it at 3tsp I think, and spray my house and yard. Really keeps the bugs down!!

Then top it off. On a daily basis when we are hunting in from July on. When I pull the dogs out of the box. Before turning them loose. I spray them again with Bronco fly spray. Also has permethrin, and a few other ingriedients. Along with citronella. Helps even more. I also spray myself with this. Not on the skin if I can help it. It has a bitter taste to it, and the dogs do not like to lick it. SO my hunting partner swears it helps prevent wolf kills. Can’t say that it works in that aspect. Since we have not had a dog killed, or attacked by a wolf while using it that we know of. Yes, dogs have come out tore up and full of holes. But that could have been from the bear they were chasing. Never know though.

Also have used the Equi Spot. Bio spot for horses. WHcih is much cheaper as well. We just have to apply anything more often so the straight permethrin is a better option. Nothing lasts a month with dogs in the field on a daily basis!

I have lost dogs to tick disease. So it has become a personal war on them. What we are doing know results in very few if any ticks on the dogs. Have not had or seen any ill effects on the dogs by doing this. Using it with a straight 3cc’s came right from a vet. Not going to get many to say that though. As it does not make them any money!!!

To be honest with 10-12 dogs or more in my yard. I cannot afford to use Frontline or the like on a monthly basis. Then to have it not work for more than a week. Running a dog in the early morning dew. Can get them just as wet as if they jumped in a lake. Washing the anything away.

We do a lot of self medicating/care including minor surgeries for our dogs here. Most of which comes from experience, and under the guidance of several vets. So I am not pulling this stuff out of my arse. With a pile of dogs hunting dangerous game you have to be proactive in health care to keep the costs in check.

Hope this helps. More than happy to give more detailed info if anyone wants to hear it.

I’m not a vet, but did watch ceaser last night

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.