Protect you dog

• jay55447
    Plymouth MN.

I recently had a emergency trip to the vet. I want to share my experiance with all of you to help you avoid the same situation I was in.

About a month before the pheasant season started I noticed my dog was not eating very much. On a two cup feeding she was eating a cup at best. She was drinking pleanty of water, maybe a little to much. The wife had given the dog a “treat” steak to be exact about two knights prior. I thought maybe the steak got caught or plugged her up. I watched her for another few days and she just didnt want to eat but still drank pleanty of fluids. It was hot out so I thought nothing of it.

Here is where the problem came in. I only waited about 4 days from when I noticed a change. It was hot out so pay close attention here. You may think its hot the dog just doesnt want to eat she is drinking pleanty of water not to worry–wrong
    “Pyometra”
    I am singling out non spayed females here you owners of males and spayed females should still pay attention as you never no when this will come in handy and save a friends dog its life. Pyometra is an infection of the uterus which females catch when going into heat and become active. They can catch it from about any where from a male breading them to another female mounting or even sitting on the ground. So just cause your dog didnt meet up with a male doent mean she is safe.
    Now the symtoms are not eating and drinking lots of water. There will be little change in attitude until its to late. This is completly curable if caught in time. I was told by my vet My ’ema” dog had less than 48 hrs to live if I wouldnt have brought her in that day. So I am a lucky one he said he had several cases of this already and my dog was the first to survive . The sugery wasnt cheap, its basically an emergancy historectomy which is really hard on the dog. I had a 50/50 chance she would make it out of surgery and after that I had a 25% chance she wouldnt live the next few days. Again I was lucky she will lead a normal life and was hunting 37 days after the surgery like nothing was wrong.
    In no way should this turn into a male/female post or a spaying or not to spay post that is stricly you preferance. This is to inform you about pyometra. Be safe any happy hunting, We will see you in the field

On a side note when talikng to my vet about diet, So she didnt get fat he said cut back a little but add fruits and vegitables. Frozen or fresh nothing in a can as it has preservatives in it. Even if you had a healthy dog he said fruits and vegtables are good for them. Next time you in the field taking a break eating an apple give your favorite buddy the core its healthy

rangerski
    North Metro

Thanks for the valuable info sir!

pahaarstad
    metro

thanks for the info and happy to here you dog is ok. Thanks also for the tip on fruit and vegtables.

Don Hanson

Great info, thanks for sharing. Glad everything turned out for ya.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Thanks for the heads up and the advice. Good to hear everything came out OK.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.