skunks

• bnm

What is a good way of getting the skunk smell out of the dog and us? Is there any shampoos? Some other guy and I would like to no. I have never ran into a skunk but this is the first time that I will be hunting with a dog. It seems that they can find them a lot better than I can. Just trying to get ready for hunting season. What are your thoughts!!!!

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Here’s what I found. Good luck in the removal process.

There are a number of products on the market to remove the smell of skunk spray, the following is a homemade recipe that is easy to make and inexpensive.

Mix the following:

1 quart 3% Hydrogen Peroxide
    ¼ cup baking soda
    1 tsp. Liquid soap

Wash while mixture is bubbling.

Avoid getting in the eyes of pets.

It is also recommended that to test the mixture on carpets, upholstery, and other fabrics to make sure it doesn’t case discoloration.

Rinse with tap water.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Here’s what I found. Good luck in the removal process.

There are a number of products on the market to remove the smell of skunk spray, the following is a homemade recipe that is easy to make and inexpensive.

Mix the following:

1 quart 3% Hydrogen Peroxide
    ¼ cup baking soda
    1 tsp. Liquid soap

Wash while mixture is bubbling.

Avoid getting in the eyes of pets.

It is also recommended that to test the mixture on carpets, upholstery, and other fabrics to make sure it doesn’t case discoloration.

Rinse with tap water.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

i’ve always heard the rumor of tomato juice working…

a full bath in it should be fun.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

i’ve always heard the rumor of tomato juice working…

a full bath in it should be fun.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Most places I’ve read debunk the Tomato Juice rumor. I’d heard that too, but after doing some digging, it sounds more like a wife’s tale.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Most places I’ve read debunk the Tomato Juice rumor. I’d heard that too, but after doing some digging, it sounds more like a wife’s tale.

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

I had a run-in with a skunk many, many years ago when a buddy and I caught one in a snare. We both tried to wash off the smell with soap and water before school. The school sent us both home because we smelled so bad. We both ended up taking a sponge bath with tomato juice which worked to get the smell off. I have read several times since that tomato juice is the best at removing skunk smell.

Eyehunter

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

I had a run-in with a skunk many, many years ago when a buddy and I caught one in a snare. We both tried to wash off the smell with soap and water before school. The school sent us both home because we smelled so bad. We both ended up taking a sponge bath with tomato juice which worked to get the smell off. I have read several times since that tomato juice is the best at removing skunk smell.

Eyehunter

Gilly
    Chisago area, Minnesota

About 3 years ago a buddies shorthair pointed a skunk and I was the one on point first and got “it” from about 4 ft away. My outer garments were quickly shed and burned on site (works great!). When we returned to the hotel the dogs were left in the truck while we investigated what we should do (yes I got dressed first). We stopped in the hotel bar for some advise and ended up getting some great ideas from some local farmers and the bartender. After about 6 hours of listening we decided to walk the dog into the hotel and throw her favorite ball into the pool (at 2:30am). The chlorine did a wonderful job at knocking down the overpowering smell but this stunt did not sit very well with hotel mngmnt. Needless to say our trip was cut a day short (due to no place to sleep), but the dog smelled great when we got home. So this leads me to ask, does your neighbor have a pool?

Good Luck!!

Gilly
    Chisago area, Minnesota

About 3 years ago a buddies shorthair pointed a skunk and I was the one on point first and got “it” from about 4 ft away. My outer garments were quickly shed and burned on site (works great!). When we returned to the hotel the dogs were left in the truck while we investigated what we should do (yes I got dressed first). We stopped in the hotel bar for some advise and ended up getting some great ideas from some local farmers and the bartender. After about 6 hours of listening we decided to walk the dog into the hotel and throw her favorite ball into the pool (at 2:30am). The chlorine did a wonderful job at knocking down the overpowering smell but this stunt did not sit very well with hotel mngmnt. Needless to say our trip was cut a day short (due to no place to sleep), but the dog smelled great when we got home. So this leads me to ask, does your neighbor have a pool?

Good Luck!!

casygram
    DeWitt, IA

I can vouch for tomato juice and lemon juice. Neither one was worth a hoot!

casygram
    DeWitt, IA

I can vouch for tomato juice and lemon juice. Neither one was worth a hoot!

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Blue Fleck:

I just received that recipe from my vet regarding the skunk stuff prior to my trip to ND today. I hope that I don’t have to use it.

Reading elsewhere, I noticed you were seeing good numbers of ducks on Pool 7. Knowing where Caledonia is, are you on the Onalaska portion of the pool?

In the “do you know” portion of any conversation, do you know Bob Conway from Caledonia. He went to school with me a long time ago. One of my friends from up here went to school in La Crosse, met a girl from there and married her, just don’t know her maiden name.

Mark

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Blue Fleck:

I just received that recipe from my vet regarding the skunk stuff prior to my trip to ND today. I hope that I don’t have to use it.

Reading elsewhere, I noticed you were seeing good numbers of ducks on Pool 7. Knowing where Caledonia is, are you on the Onalaska portion of the pool?

In the “do you know” portion of any conversation, do you know Bob Conway from Caledonia. He went to school with me a long time ago. One of my friends from up here went to school in La Crosse, met a girl from there and married her, just don’t know her maiden name.

Mark

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Mark,

I live in Dresbach, about 20+ min away from Caledonia. Dresbach is straight across from Onalaska. I had been seeing alot of ducks on the lower end of the pool, but I haven’t been out for close to a week now. At the time, I was seeing LOTS of Geese too. The amount of shooting has been considerable also. It should only get better from here on out. I may even entertain the idea of buying a set of Duck stamps.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Mark,

I live in Dresbach, about 20+ min away from Caledonia. Dresbach is straight across from Onalaska. I had been seeing alot of ducks on the lower end of the pool, but I haven’t been out for close to a week now. At the time, I was seeing LOTS of Geese too. The amount of shooting has been considerable also. It should only get better from here on out. I may even entertain the idea of buying a set of Duck stamps.

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

Great story, Gilly. I bet this bunch could make a whole topic out of motel pool adventures. I remember some times from the olden days.

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

Great story, Gilly. I bet this bunch could make a whole topic out of motel pool adventures. I remember some times from the olden days.

jroe
    iowa

I’ve tried the tomato juice.It seemed to help but as soon as the dog got wet it was just like the day he got sprayed.Tried some stuff from the vet with the same results.The shed and time seem to work the best.

jroe
    iowa

I’ve tried the tomato juice.It seemed to help but as soon as the dog got wet it was just like the day he got sprayed.Tried some stuff from the vet with the same results.The shed and time seem to work the best.

thanisch

I can’t seem to get past the thought of one huge Bloody Mary. I’m sure the Vodka wouldn’t hurt.

thanisch

I can’t seem to get past the thought of one huge Bloody Mary. I’m sure the Vodka wouldn’t hurt.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

The solution that Blue reported works great but you need to mix the parts together and use right away. You can not mix and store for later use. I keep a bottle of SKUNK OFF in my truck during hunting season. You can get it at a pet store like petsmart or petco. Skunk off works pretty good and you can keep it handy.

P.S. I recommend that you use rubber gloves when using either soap.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

The solution that Blue reported works great but you need to mix the parts together and use right away. You can not mix and store for later use. I keep a bottle of SKUNK OFF in my truck during hunting season. You can get it at a pet store like petsmart or petco. Skunk off works pretty good and you can keep it handy.

P.S. I recommend that you use rubber gloves when using either soap.

john_r
    LaCrosse Wi

MBenson–just to answer your question abot Bob Conway, I know him, I went to school in Caledonia. I haven’t seen him for a couple years but usually run into hin now and then, If I see him I will say hi for ya. John

john_r
    LaCrosse Wi

MBenson–just to answer your question abot Bob Conway, I know him, I went to school in Caledonia. I haven’t seen him for a couple years but usually run into hin now and then, If I see him I will say hi for ya. John

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

From experience:

Tomato Juice don’t work.

The peroxide mixture does work. But be carefull with the mixture. Test it out on the dog’s tail or leg first. Can change color of fur/hair or cause a rash in some cases.

Feminine Dousch works pretty well and packs up nicely for road trips.

-J.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.