Dodge eco diesel

• grizzly
    nebraska

Any of you guys running the dodge eco diesel and how do you like it. Thanks in advance

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Any of you guys running the dodge eco diesel and how do you like it. Thanks in advance

Both guys I know who originally bought them, loved them right away and grew to hate them. 1 went back to a gasser and one went to a bigger diesel

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Both guys I know who originally bought them, loved them right away and grew to hate them. 1 went back to a gasser and one went to a bigger diesel

About the same experience I have with them. We have worked on a couple at the shop even though we shy away from a lot of diesel work. They suck to work on and repairs are expensive. The fuel mileage and torque I think are the upsides. You will never see one in my driveway.

CaptainMusky

I havent heard too many good things about them. I think Dodge even did or is discontinuing it.

mojogunter

My son’s friend who is a Ram mechanic said do not buy one.

big_g
    Isle, MN

They did discontinue them… but the ones that are out there, have an excellent extended warranty on the engines. (they cite electric trucks are why they discontinued the ecodiesel)

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Great for highway driving. Less than desirable for towing heavy trailers.
    I have a customer who pulled a smaller two horse trailer with hers. After a year she sold and went back to the 5.7 hemi as that handled the load better.

CaptainMusky

Its kinda funny the development of the ecodiesel was started by GM, then the bankruptcy or whatever happened and Chrysler swooped in and took it to market. Its a V6. GM then developed a 3 litre diesel again but this time an inline 6 and its been an amazing success.

keith christianson

I had a Ram 3.0 eco. Truck ram well got 25 mpg on the highway. I have also owned a 2020 chevy 3.o diesel. The chevy got better mileage and had more power.

John Timm

Isn’t the eco diesel a Mercedes engine?

big_g
    Isle, MN

Huh… “In 2022, based on its consumer reviews, the Ram 1500 was the only truck recommended by Consumer Reports. They tested all versions of the 1500 and called out the EcoDiesel for delivering the best fuel economy. The Ford and GM trucks lagged significantly in the Consumer Reports scoring.”

big_g
    Isle, MN

Isn’t the eco diesel a Mercedes engine?

No, built by VM Motori in Italy.

CaptainMusky

Huh… “In 2022, based on its consumer reviews, the Ram 1500 was the only truck recommended by Consumer Reports. They tested all versions of the 1500 and called out the EcoDiesel for delivering the best fuel economy. The Ford and GM trucks lagged significantly in the Consumer Reports scoring.”

Makes you wonder why they dumped it then if people loved it right? Everything I have read about it is that it did NOT tow well. MPG fine, but the baby duramax eats its lunch in everything. It can tow 13k pounds now. My buddy has one and he will not give it up for anything. Gets over 30 MPG at times and averages 28 with mixed driving. The thing is so quiet you dont even hear it running.

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

If I recall, the Mopar(RAM & Jeep) ECO Diesel had major issues with the DEF tank and would randomly go into safe mode regardless of the status of the tank. Then the driver is SOL, either can drive at 5-10 MPH or possibly the motor just shut down without warning.

I’m not sure if there was a class action lawsuit, but it was a pretty significant issue.

mojogunter

The daddy Duramax had issues with the Def tank heaters too in 2020. I know a guy that couldn’t use his truck that winter because the Def heater failed, and they were on backorder until April or May. I had another friend that got lucky when his failed at the end of March and he had one day he was stranded up north until the temps rose enough above 32 to make it home. I think just about every vehicle has some issues. It’s just some are worse than others.

big_g
    Isle, MN

That’s what I recall.. Ford & GM had lots of def issues, Ram not so much ? The eco diesel issue was the EPA and exhaust… similar but different to what happened to Volkswagen and their diesel programming, where they built in “test parameters” so their diesels would pass emissions… but without the deception. RAM had to reprogram the engine controllers, to pass emissions and when they did, some performance was lost… until they came up with updates later. Customers could choose to take a couple thousand dollars and keep the truck, or they would buy them back and they could get something else. Most elected to have the update, take the ca$h and wait for the performance enhancement flashes. Also, if they elected to keep the truck, Ram put a very generous long term warranty on the engines.

From what I have read/heard… they discontinued the eco-diesel as well as the Hemi because the future will be electric trucks. We will see. The Ram eco-diesel is rated to pull 12,500

Jason Merritt

I currently have a 2022 eco diesel. I have had it in once for a DEF injector being stuck open according to the dealer. Was fixed under warranty. I pull my WX2060 with it at 75 mph and get 12.5 to 14 mpg. While it lacks horsepower for passing other vehicles quickly, it does have enough torque that you don’t even notice the boat being towed.

grizzly
    nebraska

I currently have a 2022 eco diesel. I have had it in once for a DEF injector being stuck open according to the dealer. Was fixed under warranty. I pull my WX2060 with it at 75 mph and get 12.5 to 14 mpg. While it lacks horsepower for passing other vehicles quickly, it does have enough torque that you don’t even notice the boat being towed.

does it shift into drive at 75 mph. Running the hemi now and don’t like to shift to drive at that speed. Deciding whether to get the eco or go back to the 6.7 Cummins

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jason Merritt wrote:</div>

does it shift into drive at 75 mph. Running the hemi now and don’t like to shift to drive at that speed. Deciding whether to get the eco or go back to the 6.7 Cummins

That gets tough on a tranny if you want it to shift in to drive at 75 pulling a load. Typically you want to keep it from over drive. My 16 ram 1500 with the 5.7 would get 19 to 21 pulling my boat at 75. I could get 24 to 28 with no boat. A 600 tuner worked its magic for 116,000 miles I owned it for. That was the best investment I made. Pulling my boat I would eliminate 7th and 8th gear. Those are highway gears for no load. Unless I’m on a endless long flat where it wouldn’t jump from gear to gear. I wouldn’t even consider a eco diesel. I would either get a 5.7 or the 6.7. I opted out for the 6.4 hemi, power and pulling strength is there but fuel milage isn’t on my side. I get 10 to 13, pulling a 20 ft dump trailer 3/4 filled with concrete. I haven’t found the tune I want to add yet but I’m sure I can increase power and millage with a little plug and play action for under a grand.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Tow/Haul mode when pulling and hauling ! crazy rotflol

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

What are you trying to say ? I’m guessing a few more words would be helpful. Use tow/ haul, or don’t use tow haul. I use it when hauling the skid loader or mini hoe but not with a boat. I did use it more with my half ton.

B-man

I had a 2015 Eco-diesel. Leased it for three years and put 40,000 miles on it (had a 45,000 mile lease).

It was a good truck and got crazy good mileage. They blow any gas half ton out of the water with mileage (but diesel fuel costs more, so it was pretty much a wash $$$).

It pulled my 24′ Pro-Line without hesitation in 7th gear at freeway speeds (8 speed transmission).

It did see the shop two times in three years for emissions crap, but that’s not terribly uncommon for any new diesel these days.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20231117-080742.png

grizzly
    nebraska

Thanks for all your responses. I think I’m going back to a 6.7 Cummins. Going to be pulling boat more and farther than usual so just going to play it safe

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Thanks for all your responses. I think I’m going back to a 6.7 Cummins. Going to be pulling boat more and farther than usual so just going to play it safe

Wise choice. applause

LabDaddy1

I had a 2015 Eco-diesel. Leased it for three years and put 40,000 miles on it (had a 45,000 mile lease).

It was a good truck and got crazy good mileage. They blow any gas half ton out of the water with mileage (but diesel fuel costs more, so it was pretty much a wash $$$).

It pulled my 24′ Pro-Line without hesitation in 7th gear at freeway speeds (8 speed transmission).

It did see the shop two times in three years for emissions crap, but that’s not terribly uncommon for any new diesel these days.

Camera angle trickery and/or that pic should be in a ram advertisement!

CaptainMusky

I use tow haul in my sierra with a 6.2 10 speed and it tows my 19 foot boat I’m in 10th gear and 74mph at 1800 rpm. I actually even used cruise and it never shifted. Got 16mpg too.

LabDaddy1

That 10 speed that ford/gm use is pretty impressive. Can be kind of clunky depending I guess on tuning but otherwise is solid from what I hear.

Work provided pickup is a 2.7 eco boost w/ 10 spd and it’s crazy the torque/acc/holding power the thing has, even in 10th gear

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

I use tow haul in my sierra with a 6.2 10 speed and it tows my 19 foot boat I’m in 10th gear and 74mph at 1800 rpm. I actually even used cruise and it never shifted. Got 16mpg too.

I call BS on this statement. I couldn’t get 16 mpg with my 6.2 hauling nothing at all at 75 mph.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.