Do you open your propane tank all the way?

• Hey

Blue Rhino #20lbs tanks. Turn open one full turn max, never all the way.

If you have a buddy heater hooked up just crack it to start then one turn max.

Not sure why it would be different for larger tanks?

LabDaddy1

Going to be using an Ice Castle and a friend said you don’t need to open the propane tank all the way and to only open it about a 1/4 turn.

Do you do this or open your propane tank 100%?

I personally always open the tank valve 100% so it’s firmly sealed. This could be my forklifting time bleeding into it though, so not sure how correct it actually is. With forklift tanks there is the double seal that supercat mentioned and for it to be fully sealed it needs to be opened all the way. My 2 cents.

Brent Siebenaler

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>usmarine0352 wrote:</div>
    Going to be using an Ice Castle and a friend said you don’t need to open the propane tank all the way and to only open it about a 1/4 turn.

I personally always open the tank valve 100% so it’s firmly sealed. This could be my forklifting time bleeding into it though, so not sure how correct it actually is. With forklift tanks there is the double seal that supercat mentioned and for it to be fully sealed it needs to be opened all the way. My 2 cents.

This is what I was taught when it comes to propane tanks.

A quick Google search says the same.

Anonymous
    Inactive

When it really come down to it, you don’t hear of many propane explosions due to improperly opening valves.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Forewarning, engineer thinking out loud here.
    Bernoulli’s principal relative to fluid flow…

Take cover!!! Incoming fluid dynamics principle!!!!! rotflol rotflol rotflol

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Im a 100% open guy, they seal both ways.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Glad this one was made clear and solved jester Like a lot of things, more than one way to get the job done.

Adam Steffes

It seems like it really doesn’t matter lol. I think the orifice pressure drop cooling does have a bit of weight though as we froze up and couldn’t get enough flow in -30 temps with a partially open tank. Worked for 2 days that way and when the temps dropped it struggled. Cranked the valve wide open and problem solved.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

i’m not in the trades. full stop.

and it seems to me that if the amount a knob is turned is the difference between correct torch operation and “make a bomb” then it’s not a great system.
    doah

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>usmarine0352 wrote:</div>

Same here. I crank them all the way open firmly. We’ve got a couple old forklifts at the buildings that probably are the reason it is normal for me. If they are not fully open, they will not run as intended.

I think it’s more important to turn tanks OFF when not in use for a considerable amount of time. Maybe it’s just pointless peace of mind, but I always turn my grill propane off, the fork lift propane off, and will even crank off the propane that runs one of the old trucks at the buildings if I know it isn’t going to be touched for a couple weeks.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Ask Jeeves didn’t know anything about what we are talking about. But could tell me why my liver is dying.

Coletrain27

Ask Jeeves didn’t know anything about what we are talking about. But could tell me why my liver is dying.

Did you ask Alexa?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Rodwork wrote:</div>

Did you ask Alexa?

Alexa still won’t listen to a word I say. Last night I asked her to play skid row radio and she put on Stacey’s mom. smash

But when the kids ask for some God awful song she does it immediately

CaptainMusky

Have your kids ask Alexa to play fart sounds. LOL

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

If I hinted that to either of them, it would never end. That’s how they would wake each other up every day

CaptainMusky

If I hinted that to either of them, it would never end. That’s how they would wake each other up every day

LOL My kids are probably older. They did it for like 20 minutes one time and havent done it since.

usmarine0352

Went to Mille Lacs the other day, I think it was 8′ degrees or something.

Borrowed my friend’s shack and truck and opened up the propane to 1/4 as he told me to do.

Everything worked great. Granted, 8’degrees isn’t -25′ degrees.

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

LMAO!! The kids that were over on Christmas had Alexa playing Fart Songs. Not just sounds. Boy was that God-awful! Although, a bit hilarious for the first 40 seconds.

FWIW I have two 100 pounders on the skid house. I open them both all the way. No issues in 15 years.

Reef W

I open my dual 100lb tanks all the way. Coldest I’ve ever seen on the outside thermometer is -32 and it works fine.

Viewing 20 posts - 31 through 50 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.