Do you open your propane tank all the way?

• usmarine0352

Going to be using an Ice Castle and a friend said you don’t need to open the propane tank all the way and to only open it about a 1/4 turn.

Do you do this or open your propane tank 100%?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Your friend is correct. I turn mine 1 full turn which is about quarter of the way

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

The tank will work that way but with any high pressure tank there is a double seal in the valve and for the second one to work the valve has to be fully open or it could leak. Anyone that used an oxy acetylene torch was taught that the first day.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

The tank will work that way but with any high pressure tank there is a double seal in the valve and for the second one to work the valve has to be fully open or it could leak. Anyone that used an oxy acetylene torch was taught that the first day.

Oxygen is opened fully. Acetylene is cracked less then a full turn. Just like you do with the propane

Coletrain27

I was always taught you never open the gas fully when using a torch in case of a fire so you can shut it off a lot quicker

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>supercat wrote:</div>

I was always taught you never open the gas fully when using a torch in case of a fire so you can shut it off a lot quicker

Only open the oxygen up and then adjust by gauge. Fuel is only cracked. Any one that torches should know this.

munchy
    NULL

Only open the oxygen up and then adjust by gauge. Fuel is only cracked. Any one that torches should know this.

Correct. And there is zero concern with leaks at the handle when doing this.

Coletrain27

[/quote]

That’s how I was taught

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

So now that we are done with science class, in conclusion your propane only needs to be cracked 1/4 of the way open

Anonymous
    Inactive

Google??

Anonymous
    Inactive

You should always open a propane tank valve all the way. Most propane tanks have a seal at the back of the valve that only engages when the valve is open all the way. If the valve is only open a little bit or halfway, this seal does not engage, and the tank might leak at the valve.

From some lp website

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

You should always open a propane tank valve all the way. Most propane tanks have a seal at the back of the valve that only engages when the valve is open all the way. If the valve is only open a little bit or halfway, this seal does not engage, and the tank might leak at the valve.

From some lp website

Well if this is direct from the lp company definitely disregard what I say. I have never done this in all my years in the firebrand but if manufacturers recommend, then it’s hard to argue. I was always taught the 1/4 turn on my 30 pounders. And that was from the buddy who works at Lakes gas. Now I’m going to have to call him and argue chased
    But if you happen to torch any thing any time soon, my advice was spot on correct

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Now that I asked Google, I get both answers. So not sure what is correct. A call to lakes gas or any lp place will give you a definite answer

onestout
    Hudson, WI

I open mine all the way. I was taught to crack it slowly to let the pressure equalize then open it all the way. I do the same on my acetylene and oxygen tanks. I guess right or wrong this is what I have done.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

You can open a LP tank valve all the way.
    You cannot open a acetylene tank all the way.
    There is acetone in an acetylene tank to stabilize the gas and opening the valve fully can cause to much flow and cause the acetone to come out and de-stabilize the flammable gas. (Make a bomb)

Adam Steffes

I don’t know the right answer here, but I open the LP tank fully and seat the valve snugly in the open position. Works on my travel trailer and all my portable propane tanks. No leaks that I have experienced. I did have a leak on the RV once but that was after doing a bunch of pipe fitting to add quick connects to it. Not the actual tank valve leaking. Agree with the others on the oxy/ace torch method as thats what I remember from 25 years ago when I last used one lol.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I open mine all the way. I was taught to crack it slowly to let the pressure equalize then open it all the way. I do the same on my acetylene and oxygen tanks. I guess right or wrong this is what I have done.

Be very careful with the acetylene, you are putting your self in a very flammable situation if a gauge goes bad.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mnice wrote:</div>
    Google??

Google gives the correct answer: Open the valve somewhere between 1/16 and 36 turns.

This is pretty spot on to what I found.

I did not try Bing but I will do that now.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i never open my propane all the way and has always worked, however i have had issues with opening it to fast and it not working properly.

i spent 28 years welding stainless using cover gases that had 2500 psi in a new tank. we were trained in opening them slowly and not all the way open. same with torches and oxygen tanks……

for whatever its worth.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Well like a ton of things these days the good old google machine will give you totally different answers. I know on Propane tanks I’ve always opened them all the way. Be it on fish house heaters, Gas grills, or anything else that runs on Propane. For those of you who do only open it part way, What is the rational for that? Do you believe that it uses less fuel?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Well like a ton of things these days the good old google machine will give you totally different answers. I know on Propane tanks I’ve always opened them all the way. Be it on fish house heaters, Gas grills, or anything else that runs on Propane. For those of you who do only open it part way, What is the rational for that? Do you believe that it uses less fuel?

In case of emergency it is only a quarter turn to close. Not 3 turns. It’s the same pressure and same amount of gas being released.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

In case of emergency it is only a quarter turn to close. Not 3 turns. It’s the same pressure and same amount of gas being released.

That one makes sense to me. If it works the same as fully open and there not no additional dangers then that’s the way to go

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I recently purchased a torpedo heater to use in my garage in winter months when i need to warm it up for a short period to do a project. i believe the instructions on that said to open the valve on the tank all the way open. I’m going to recheck that when I get home.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Forewarning, engineer thinking out loud here.

Bernoulli’s principal relative to fluid flow would suggest that moving the same amount of propane through a small orifice (1/4 or so open valve) vs. a larger orifice (fully open valve) would lead to the propane that cools down further than ambient temperature due to pressure and flow rate, i.e. breathe on your hand with an open mouth vs. how you would blow out a candle. I could see this being an issue once you start to get 10+ degrees below zero.

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

I bought a new Weber gas grill over 15 years ago. The owner’s manual said to only open the value 1/4 turn. Since then I have done than on all my heaters and had zero issues.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I bought a new Weber gas grill over 15 years ago. The owner’s manual said to only open the value 1/4 turn. Since then I have done than on all my heaters and had zero issues.

I have also never had a issue. My lakes gas buddy told me the quarter turn thing and I’ve done this on all my stuff with out ever having a issue.

AK Guy

The reason I open my tank fully is when I turn off the gas, there’s only one way to turn the handle. When I partially crack it open I can go left or right. I’m not smart enough to know which is on or off when I can go both directions (I often fish without my cheaters and I can’t see which way the on/off arrow goes on the handle). I’ve never had a problem and I’m often fishing when its -20 to -30.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.