Do you have a Daiwa tatula tw sv reel?

• mrpike1973

Wondering how you like them I’m thinking of getting one. Is this an all purpose reel? I see a lot of info on how good it is with light lures but can I use it for spinnerbaits general purpose? Do they cast well or fall short Thanks I really was impressed with the feel of this reel For 200 clams want to make sure it’s a good one the reviews look good.

wormdunker

if you are an experienced caster I suggest you grab a CT type R off eval, you can get them around $100. Cast farther but don’t have the SV Spool so you have to be more experienced caster to take advatage of the Type r benefits.

Also I just got 2019 version Tatula 100 8.1:1 for $125 aftertax. cant beat that either.

trytoofish
    sw Mn.

yes.. luv it. almost impossible to get an overun. what sole me was Al Linder casting against a brick wall and never overun. Probably still on youtube

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I have one and love it! I started with a normal ct and wanted another one. glad I picked up the sv. I have thrown normal stuff and it works extremely well. will be using it for more frogs later this spring and should be great! You will have no problems with it.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

They are pretty sweet once you get them tuned in. You can switch baits of a different weight without making an adjustment.

wormdunker

Don’t get me wrong they are nice but you can almost get 2 CT’s or Type R’s right now for the price of one SV…..

$80-90 for new CT on the Bay, $111 or a new 100 and about $110 for a CT Tye R. great deals.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I have a new Daiwa Tatula CT Type-R 100HS and I can say I’m rather happy with its performance. Purchased last winter and I’ve had it out a couple of times now. In 2 weeks I’ll give it a go for a week.

Sean Solberg
    St. Paul

Works great for casting normal baits. Your limitation will be spool capacity if you want to cast something like 1.25 oz lures for distance. That said, I’ve loaded spinners and heavier cranks and it handles those great too.

The SV spool is designed to cast without backlash when properly setup and is really excellent for throwing lighter lures as a result. It functions best when slightly under-filled, per Daiwa.

If you are looking for the T-wing without the SV spool, any of the tatula line reels are great choices.

FryDog62

The only knock on the SV spool is line capacity… but it hasn’t been a big issue for me… I usually end up just using less backing.

What I really like is having the SV spool for skipping. And not just traditional skipping jigs… but when you need it – like when I’m casting a frog or Chatterbait or Senko – and all of a sudden there’s an overhang or dock I can scoot it underneath without adjusting. With a CT or other reel I would end up in a backlash too often.

mrpike1973

I dialed it in just like on you tube does not cast that far for me. However after calling the place I got it they said that baitcasters are usually not used for wacky worms. I don’t Wacky worm to much but thought I would try it they brag about how good it is with light lures but I thought it was harder to cast, however with spinnnerbaits bass jigs cranks it works great and very smooth. So are spinning reels better suited for small jigs, Wacky worms etc. baitcasters for the bigger stuff? A little confused

FryDog62

True, it’s a bit tougher to throw a wacky worm on a baitcaster because they’re light and not very aerodynamic when thrown sideways to the wind. So here’s something to consider – throw it on an Owner Twistlock Light hook (weightless or I prefer the 4/0, 3/32 oz). I know you’re thinking it’s not wacky style and you’re half correct. You can’t “scissor” the worm on retrieve…

But when you cast it out and it hits the water, it does fall horizontally like a wacky worm and shimmies on descent like wacky style. That action gets 90% of the bites anyway.

Then after it floats down towards the bottom, instead of scissoring, you give it a couple quick jerk/twitches and it darts like a dying baitfish. This action may get more strikes than the scissoring anyway, or at least as many.

If you’ve heard of Gary Yamamoto, he’s the guy that makes the famous Senko that is the best-selling wacky worm – and he now almost exclusively throws his Senko on the Owner Twistlock Light – for two main reasons: You can cast it better/farther on casting gear, and you can cover more water effectively and quicker.

I’m a former wacky-holic on spinning gear, but after having a ligament removed from my right wrist, have had to switch to 100% casting gear now. This method works just as well and the Tatula SV is a great reel for it. If you like to skip under docks, this is a Dynamite combination and where the SV spool really shines!

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Owner_Weighted_Twistlock_Light_3pk/descpage-OWTL.html

https://www.wired2fish.com/fishing-videos/a-better-way-to-fish-senkos-faster/

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Using the correct rod for that light of a lure is going to help too.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.