Do you eat fish out of the Mississippi River? Yes or No …..why or why not?

• shockers
    Rochester

I salute you, River Rat.

Pass the Hamms.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Now for the health side of it. I started eating these fish in the Late 1940s. Now for what they have said about how harm full it is to eat these fish, Well I should have been Dead 25yrs ago or at least Glowing in the dark.! LOL. . . rrr

Have you eaten any 3 eyed walleye? They don’t make you glow in the dark either.

Attachments:
    1. thirdeyefishy0.jpg

shockers
    Rochester

Mmmmmm. I’ll see your 3-eye and raise you a hump back sauger.

Attachments:
    1. 3DC6AA18-3DB2-4CF2-8F2D-5CE583D83C0A.jpeg

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I hope you didnt eat that humpback shockers! I heard those can pass the scoliosis gene

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Mmmmmm. I’ll see your 3-eye and raise you a hump back sauger.

Once it’s in the bun…it’s a wild card game. chased

Attachments:
    1. fishdog2.jpg

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>river rat randy wrote:</div>
    Now for the health side of it. I started eating these fish in the Late 1940s. Now for what they have said about how harm full it is to eat these fish, Well I should have been Dead 25yrs ago or at least Glowing in the dark.! LOL. . . rrr

Have you eaten any 3 eyed walleye? They don’t make you glow in the dark either.

.. Not sure but butt I must have eaten at least one or 2 without knowing it. . Cause last night about midnight I turned all the lights off in the house an took a good look in the dark.? Nope still not glowing even a little bit. . . rrr

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

lights off in the house an took a good look in the dark.? Nope still not glowing even a little bit. . . rrr

Lights off? Glow in the dark? They do have some stuff that, wait, nevermind….

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

Agree with Ryan. I’ll eat some pool 2 crappies once or twice a year.

Pig-hunter
    Southern Minnesota

They don’t taste like mud, but the texture of river fish is mushy compared to those from the lake. I’ve eaten a bunch from both and there is a major difference IMO from lake or river fish.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

To those who say Walleye taste like mud from certain areas of the Mississippi river….

Why have you eaten mud in the first place ?

There ya go.

Then this came to me from an employee in a lab where MN supposedly does the sampling to determine how healthy our fish are:
    There is a difference between how MN and WI process the fish to which warnings are added. Wisconsin fillets then, skins, bones and removes all visible fat from the fish they use to create a puree for testing. Minnesota adds the whole fish to a blender to create a puree for testing.
    Now, how do you fix your fish to eat….Wi style or MN style?

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

They don’t taste like mud, but the texture of river fish is mushy compared to those from the lake. I’ve eaten a bunch from both and there is a major difference IMO from lake or river fish.

Even more interesting than muddy imo. Always thought river fish had a firmer texture which would make sense being they are way more fit swimming in current and all.

watisituya
    North Metro

No issues with fish tasting different for me but all my river fish are north of Minneapolis and are hevily rinsed and frozen in a bag of water so they do have some soak time vs going straight to the pan.

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.