Do you buy a dog license?

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I did for years and years as a requirement in my city. Then one day after realizing nothing every came of it I stopped.
    My dogs collars wear their name, address and current rabies tag.

Timmy

I know a guy who used to live down the street from the stickler of a city inspector in a small town. The inspector had a collie that ran loose – and this guy stole the tag off the collie every year for the 4 yrs he lived there and put it on his own dog. rotflol

And to answer the original question – no, I have never purchased a dog tag.

CaptainMusky

I think a lot of towns require it but not sure how its enforced. THankfully we live out of town so its not required here. We are always up to date on the shots for the dogs and they never leave the yard. I just had two dogs in my yard last Friday and it irritated the crap out of me because it ticks off my dogs and I have no idea where these two even came from. They were obviously out all night since they were all wet.

Sharon
    SE Metro

Some cities require a dog license and some don’s so it just depends on where you live. I don’t purchase dog licenses, as my city stopped requiring dog licenses back in 2019. They do however require all dogs be vaccinated for rabies. Anyone found to have a dog that isn’t vaccinated or has an expired vaccination will be subject to a misdemeanor punishable by up to 90 days in jail and/or a fine of up to $1,000.

I have found microchiping your dog to be much more valuable and important, so I definitely recommend microchiping.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

In Woodbury, they will make you get one if you need to get the pup out of the city dog pound.

Never got one here in St Paul.

-J.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

No dog license needed in Minnetonka but the rabies vacinnation needs to be up to date.

When I was a kid in Mpls in the mid 60s you needed a license for bicycles. shock

Riverrat

Usually if a town requires a license it’s not a problem, until there’s a problem. My dog bit a kid that came into my yard, and if it wasn’t licensed they were going to throw it into the pound. I had the rabies tag, but the license tag was missing. The cop called in to double check and let me off with a warning for unrestrained dog.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Two years ago our 5 towns along the river stopped issuing them. For a long while I was making an early morning trip to city hall to get #1 and #2. Then they started saving numbers for people and MY numbers weren’t available.

Our guys never left the yard. It was fenced in but they knew better too. Actually, that might have been all they knew.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

My old neighborhood required them the first couple years I lived there and then they dropped it.

Dogs in my current city suburb are required to have current vaccinations and identification (such as a collar with tag), which is something I’d do anyways.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Nope, and I don’t get one for my bicycle either.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Yea Cold Spring requires dog licenses.

And yes they keep tabs on it. About 3 years ago about Oct we had a cop knock on our door and handed us a $100.00 for not having current dog licenses . I flipped out on my wife,as she was supposed to do it.

Fortunately we keep receipts and records, brought the receipt down to city hall and they tore up the ticket.

Gitchi Gummi

I believe it’s required in the city of Duluth. Luckily I live out in the boonies so doesn’t apply to me.

I think it’s more a lever the city can pull for problem animals (ie owners) than anything they’d actually enforce on the average Joe.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I believe it’s required in the city of Duluth. Luckily I live out in the boonies so doesn’t apply to me.

I think it’s more a lever the city can pull for problem animals (ie owners) than anything they’d actually enforce on the average Joe.

its also a way to see to it dogs are up to date on vaccines. here you dont get doggy license if they arent up to date.

what i find interesting is the city isnt near as gung ho about how often they need certain vaccines as the vet clinics seem to think the dog needs them. doah

MX1825

Never bought one but where I live it is a law.
    I figure if cats don’t need one and can free range, my trained dog that doesn’t leave the yard, doesn’t need a tag. JMO

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

You Bad A$$ EP.No,my dog can’t drive and she would rather growl at the fish than catch them.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

A dog license?

Telling you which days you can water your lawn?

Cameras issuing speeding tickets?

…the plot thickens with even more communist places IDOers choose to live

MX1825

Nope, and I don’t get one for my bicycle either.

As many Carona’s you empty I hope your bike is 3 wheeler. whistling

glenn57
    cold spring mn

^^^↑^^ rotflol rotflol rotflol doah

Coletrain27

A dog license?

Telling you which days you can water your lawn?

Cameras issuing speeding tickets?

…the plot thickens with even more communist places IDOers choose to live

so your saying you would choose where you lived based off weather you need a dog license or not? rotflol

Gitchi Gummi

Just remember. Every law out there is the result of some idiots actions.

Reef W

I never have in Brooklyn Park. I’m not even sure it’s still a thing or not as they considered getting rid of it a few years ago and said “The city says fewer than 5 percent of animal owners actually go through the pet licensing process and that there is no enforcement of the ordinance either.”. I think without the tag you aren’t supposed to be able to bring dog to the city off-leash parks but I’ve never wanted to bring mine there anyways.

Atavar

I do and I don’t mind. It’s $10 if neutered. I’ve spent more than that in bars on women I don’t like.

FinnyDinDin

They are taxing dog ownership now by requiring a license? Wow. Add it to the long list of reasons not to live in a city.

MX1825

They are taxing dog ownership now by requiring a license? Wow. Add it to the long list of reasons not to live in a city.

I don’t live in the city either.
    Township AND the County both want to license a dog.

FinnyDinDin

License a dog for what? Which county? Now I gotta check if these counties out here in the land of rocks and cows have this.

It’s nothing more than another tax.

If we need shot record tags on all dog collars I can get on board. No tax required.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

We are supposed to have one or at least we were when I moved to north branch township how ever many years ago. I guess I just never obeyed.

ekruger01

No. When we purchased our house I saw in the city ordinance it was required, it was never brought up when we asked about animals, so I never went down and got them. Same with our golf cart. Our city also requires UTV’s to have a permit. A $125 yearly fee for something that is already licensed as an on road legal vehicle according to the state. (double checked with the local DMV. I guess they gotta get their cut though.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.