Do I need a new Buddy Heater?

• Nodakk

Broke out the big buddy heater last night and tonight on the ice for the first time this year. Once with 1 pounders and once hooked up to a 20 pounder. Both nights it had trouble staying on even though there was plenty propane. When it was on, it was not burning clean. There was a small flame coming off the top of the ceramic (or whatever it is) pad and would burn my eyes after a while.

Any suggestions or junk it and buy a new one?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Sounds similar to the issue I had. There is a fiberglass glass gasket inside between the ceramic tile and the frame that may be disintegrating. Unfortunately it’s not an easy task to get inside these things and get them back together. I’ve done it twice now so it’s definitely possible.

Just google “buddy heater tile gasket”.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

You may also want to try cleaning the orifices with carb cleaner. Both thermocouple and main.
    Also requires disassembly.

Nodakk

Looked up some videos online of disassembly. Looks fun

AK Guy

Looked up some videos online of disassembly. Looks fun

Sounds like you’re buying a new one.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

To be clear, the similarity to the issue I was having is that flame was coming out from around the tile and it would occasionally go out. When mine was on low, the flame would surge rapidly with a sort of a popping sound. If I remember correctly I couldn’t run it on low or it would go out.

If you go the gasket route, make damn sure you order the right one. Mr. Heater didn’t explain which one the gasket fits very well so I ended up ordering the wrong one at least once.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Fyi – my local Costco had the regular Buddy heater for only $59!

Coletrain27

thats a great deal. northern tool has them on sale for $63 something

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>

that’s were I bought my new one a few years ago, was able to use the $10 off coupon too!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

that’s were I bought my new one a few years ago, was able to use the $10 off coupon too!
    [/quote]

That’s where mine came from as well. Both buddy and big buddy. Both with separate coupons

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.