DNR Ice Out Map

• Dan Baker

Anyone else look at this map in the spring? I’m surprised there are no lakes showing. I thought I had heard a lot of Southern MN had opend up a few weeks ago.
    ICE OUT Map

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’m not sure how regularly they update this during the same season, but it’s interesting to look at.

The other variable is how ice out is measured. For example, Pool 4 hasn’t technically had “ice out” yet despite most of it being navigable by boat. There are still large thin sheets floating in parts of Lake Pepin. I’d think it will be called this week though.

mrpike1973

Same here Dan looked and looked. I know by Fairmont many are open. If you go to Iowa or South Dakotas sights they actually have weekly updates on ice and ice out. Drives me nuts MN can’t do it maybe to many lakes smirk

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

It primarily relies on volunteers since there are so many lakes and not enough people to verify it.

Not always updated immediately either. Better than nothing though.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I know the areas I was at this last weekend its going to be awhile yet. Looking at the current forecast it may be near the end of April. Then again a few warm days with some rains and wind and that could all change real fast.

Dan Baker

Looks like it was updated just this afternoon. Cool! Still ahwile to go around the metro, but this map gives my hope!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Still ahwile to go around the metro…

I think my dog will be swimming in Weaver by the weekend. There may still be ice, but it’ll be swimmable. rotflol

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

It was strange no lakes had opened in March. I thought that can’t be right. Maybe it is. I suspect either an issue with the Mn Climatology Facebook page or Facebook Page Team. Normally, they do a post there highlighting the ice-out map and requesting reports. That hasn’t happened this year. As far as I can tell you can’t submit a post to the Facebook Page there anymore and since there is no Post on the subject of ice-out yet reports can’t be left in the comments section.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Rice in Maple Grove looked more open water than ice this morning. It is a very shallow lake. The weekend sun should beat down what is left in the metro.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Twin Lake in Robbinsdale was about 50% open on both sides of Hwy 100 on Wed evening when I drove past.

There is another massive low pressure system brewing for the middle of next week, with a good chance of more multi-day heavy/steady rain. I think the lake ice will be toast in a week around the metro.

tim hurley

Grand Rapids had I think about 18″ Access was good too where we were. We need warm rain & wind, had fun yesterday now I’m done with ice.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

There is another massive low pressure system brewing for the middle of next week, with a good chance of more multi-day heavy/steady rain.

I’d better enjoy the sun for the next few days, then. We need the moisture, but this week was no good on my mood.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’d better enjoy the sun for the next few days, then. We need the moisture, but this week was no good on my mood.

They’re talking thunderstorms and potentially heavy rain on Tues/Wed/Thurs again net week with snow mixing in at times. Obviously can change before then. It is a little depressing, but like you said we are still in a drought.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

At least it’s mid-week!

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ralph Wiggum wrote:</div>

They’re talking thunderstorms and potentially heavy rain on Tues/Wed/Thurs again net week with snow mixing in at times. Obviously can change before then. It is a little depressing, but like you said we are still in a drought.

Not really..

Attachments:
    1. 632EE66E-197B-4945-B2E1-D2FFAA56E635.png

Charles

Oh I can’t wait for my SD trip coming lol.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

The forecast is drying up a bit for SE MN. Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Thursday, and Friday look dry, with just Tuesday night and Wednesday having rain. We found some hardy frost still on the Northern shaded side of the build today trying to dig in water to the well location.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I think my dog will be swimming in Weaver by the weekend. There may still be ice, but it’ll be swimmable. rotflol

wink

Fish in Maple Grove looked really close this morning. As of Sunday evening, Weaver was a few days behind, I’d say.

Attachments:
    1. 20220410_183511.jpg

2. 20220410_183522.jpg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Twin Lake was wide open yesterday evening when I drove past.

tim hurley

Josephine in Roseville was half and rotten black stuff on the other half.

matt

Grays Bay was 100% open this a.m.Didnt pull into the lot but looked like they were putting the docks in when I passed by on 101.Guessing after this next wind and rain event there will be alot of lakes open as the lakes around Buffalo are fading fast.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Lotus and Ann in Chanhassen are open.

queenswake
    NULL

Grays Bay was 100% open this a.m.Didnt pull into the lot but looked like they were putting the docks in when I passed by on 101.Guessing after this next wind and rain event there will be alot of lakes open as the lakes around Buffalo are fading fast.

That’s awesome that they put the docks in as early as they can to allow people to go out. I’m guessing the bouys go in as they can get to the open areas.

matt

Havnt spent much time out there early spring like I used to but seemed like it would take them a couple weeks after ice out to get all the bouys in place.

Deuces

Calhoun all clear. Might take a shot when I get back there later. Wonderful to see open water.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Lotus and Ann in Chanhassen are open.

I used to fish Ann all the time when my son was first born. Made the mistake of renting a house in a fancy neighborhood for a couple years. Absolutely loved fishing that small little lake.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Bald Eagle is open as of today. White Bear is just starting to pull away from the shore.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.