DIY Lindy rigs

• Weekender
    Southcentral MN

I prefer to make my own live bait lindy rigs. What line is good to use? I’ve used 6lb mono, but I also have 14lb floro.

picklerick
    Central WI

#14 seems a bit heavy for Lindy rigging but if pike are around I’d use the fluoro over #6 mono. I like #8 fluoro as a leader for walleye, but I use #6-8 Power Pro for a main line and where I fish I mostly jig. If you’re fishing snaggy areas, a #6 leader will probably save some weights and swivels if your main line is heavier.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

6 lbs fluoro vanish is what I’ve been using…sometimes 8 lbs.

Weekender
    Southcentral MN

Yeah I’ll be in mostly snag prone areas. I’ll look for lighter weight floro. waytogo

Deuces

Most flouros do sink, so they need to be more durable bc they dragging bottom after the line becomes saturated.

I’m a big stealth/line visibility guy, but when it comes to rigging IMO the mono to flouro factor is so minimal I rarely think about it. Many other important variables come into play.

I’ve enjoyed using pline floroclear for few years now. Copolymer flouro that doesn’t seem to sink as much as others.

beardly
    Hastings, Mn

6 lbs fluoro vanish is what I’ve been using…sometimes 8 lbs.

Same here in 6 lb. Just started using the Suffix 100% fluorocarbon invisiline leader stuff and have liked that, too.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

8lb or 10lb Floro. The pretied stuff uses 14lb like the Lindy brand

boos1906

Dumb question guys but what is a Lindy rig? Just a bead and a hook? I’ve heard the term a thousand times and always wondered what it is.

Dan
    Southeast MN

boos1906 do some Youtube searches and you’ll find countless videos showing how they’re set up and what to do. It’s some sort of snell or leader material of various lengths tied on to your main line, with some form of weight just ahead of that knot. The weight brings it down to or near the bottom, and your bait at the end of the snell/leader is pulled some distance behind it. You can throw in various beads or blades near the hook as well.

Again, spend some time on Youtube looking and you’ll get familiar with them.

tim hurley

I like good ol’ mono, it does not sink.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

8lb to 10lb mono, or 8 to 14lb floro. Been using more mono lately. Depends how fast I’m going. If I’m trolling like .6 to .7 I’ll use floro, any slower and I’ll switch to mono

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.