Dive curve and speed for spinnerbaits on leadcore?

• Mike Petersen

Hey, looked around but couldn’t find the answer…question is “do spinnerbaits pulled on leadcore have a different dive curve because of their higher resistance?? Also, do these need to be pulled at a slower speed than cranks on leadcore??” Thanks in advance for sharing any wisdom here…

Mark Marks
    Oxford CT

Hey, looked around but couldn’t find the answer…question is “do spinnerbaits pulled on leadcore have a different dive curve because of their higher resistance?? Also, do these need to be pulled at a slower speed than cranks on leadcore??” Thanks in advance for sharing any wisdom here…

I would say no, think only the weight of the lure would be a factor with spinnerbaits.
    I’ve done testing with Phoebe’s which have a lot of action, but did not add to the dive as a result of action.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Mike, lead core tends to belly even with nothing at the end so my opinion is that lures that aren’t particularly weighted like a jig head or a diving bill of a crank bait, will tend to ride a little higher in the water column than the other 2. I think that spinner effectiveness really drops off the closer you get to 2 mph. They seem to like 1 – 1.7 mph, in my experience.

Mike Petersen

Thanks a lot guys…great advice, and will try the slower speed suggestion…

Mark Marks
    Oxford CT

No problem Mike.
    If you have an Android phone, I created an App called Lead Core Depth Calculator that’s on Google Play, you can check out if you like. I hesitate putting the link on threads anymore because some think I’m spamming, but actually it’s my proud creation and I believe some may find it helpful.
    In any case Good Luck with your fishing.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.