Dingers For Docks

• Jay Tegeder

I pretty much use 5 inch Senkos exclusively for deep bass when using plastics. Nothing has the fall rate of an original Senko. When it comes to fishing docks and the edges of lily pads and the weedline however, I prefer 5 inch Yum Dingers. They stay higher up in the water column before they sink. I’ll cast to a dock or the edge of the pads and then let it sit a few seconds before twitching it and pausing it as I bring it back. This technique really pulls the bass off the docks and pads. One of the best colors is watermelon on one side and creme on the other. Some companies call it baby bass. Watermelon Red flake works well too. I think this works better than throwing a popper up against a dock. Although those top water explosions are tough to beat.

FryDog62

Kalin’s makes a great baby bass 5 inch Senko. Skip that under docks a lot when you want the slow fall. Sometimes a faster fall seems to work better, so I do that Neko style but with worms that have a floating tail so when it hits bottom it sticks straight up and they can’t miss it…

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I primarily use the original yamamoto version when dock skipping. I actually prefer the faster fall rate. I wacky rig them on a Neko hook using an o-ring

Throwing poppers up against docks? I can’t say that I do that. I don’t think the homeowner would be very appreciate of it.

FryDog62

Z-Man Pop Shadz are a popper style lure that skips fairly well under/around docks. Single hook so it doesn’t have the hook up percentage of trebles… but if you hit a pontoon with it, nothing but a thud..

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

1/2 ounce jigs or nothing for skipping docks.

Aboxy17

I use dingers because they are cheap and I use them up fast. However, started to use z-man last year and I really like the durability factor. I end up buying fewer plastics using zman. Nothing beats throwing weightless dingers on docks and pads.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

However, started to use z-man last year and I really like the durability factor. I end up buying fewer plastics using zman.

Elaztech is almost indestructible. The problem is that its buoyant so it won’t sink on its own. The natural fall of the senko is what sells them, definitely not their durability.

Michael Best

I always did best with a black Slug-Go. With the original Slug-Go hook.
    On the lake my parents live on the bigger fish will gravitate to certain docks and over hanging trees once the weeds are up good.

mrpike1973

Austin what would you say your ratio is from regular Senkos to Z man? Thinking about switching gets spendy. I agree watermelon red flake is one of my top colors Yum’s Elders magic is another favorite. I dock fish these as well but found using Neko straight shank hooks are way better than EWG hook’s.

FryDog62

I’m not sure a Z-man worm on a Neko hook would sink… maybe the Zinkers would but they are full of salt and not as durable either..

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’ve stopped using worm molds for skipping docks and shore cover. It’s all Rage Bug. Catches more, fires them up more, and I get bigger size. Still skips well too.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I use dingers because they are cheap and I use them up fast. However, started to use z-man last year and I really like the durability factor. I end up buying fewer plastics using zman. Nothing beats throwing weightless dingers on docks and pads.

I love dingers for neko rig, wacky, t rigged for deep structure. They catch plenty, are fairly durable, and cheap! Plus they have ever color you could want. I like zman for neds but they drive me nuts on anything with a keeper. You almost have to cut them off because you cannot pull them off. My only beef with them.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.