Dill pickles

• riverruns
    Inactive

My season has started. Typically I’m in the 200-300 quarts a year. toast This year is scaled back. I’ve done 15 one gallon jars and that should be it for those. The quart jars of dill pickles will be around 120 this year. waytogo

We purchased a new property out in the country, not that I lived in the city really anyhow. Selling our current house and touching it up a bit. Everything’s just too busy. bawling

Now to my question, how can we make this into a political thread? Somehow it has to end up there correct? moon

Attachments:
    1. 15955538906331537278185634038844.jpg

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Only the people belonging to Libertarian Party can consume that many pickles in one year! chased

How’d I do, hah Riv?

Brad Dimond

Pickles are the food of Republicans, only pickle brine and Republican politics can make your face scrunch up that way?

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Ok enough of the sillyness now.

Real question, What is your favorite variety of cucumber to turn into a dill pickle?

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

That’s impressive but I have to ask what does a man do with that many pickles? I love pickles but not sure if I could eat all those. There a lot of sweat in making those. Good Job!

riverruns
    Inactive

Real question, What is your favorite variety of cucumber to turn into a dill pickle?

H-19 Little Leaf.

riverruns
    Inactive

That’s impressive but I have to ask what does a man do with that many pickles? I love pickles but not sure if I could eat all those. There a lot of sweat in making those. Good Job!

Family and friends take the lions share of them.

Just had a guy do some remodeling of our bathroom. 20# of bacon and 12 quarts of dill pickles took care of labor for 1 guy. peace

riverruns
    Inactive

21 more quarts after work today. Less than 2 hours. Of course the wife helped.

Attachments:
    1. 20200724_165527.jpg

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

Just had a guy do some remodeling of our bathroom. 20# of bacon and 12 quarts of dill pickles took care of labor for 1 guy. peace
    [/quote]

I love to barter I trade homemade V8 juice for hard cider and homemade wine. It would be great if america would get back to doing this more often.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I’ve always liked Straight Eights but need a bush variety and the Straight Eight Bush sucks so I have Bush Champions this year. Very good cukes sliced. Haven’t decided on dill pickles but relish will get made. Tons of them coming in right now.

blackbay
    mn

Has anyone found dill? I haven’t hit up the farmers market yet.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Mine is going strong. Been grilling Lake Trout fillets using a baste of butter, minced dill and lemon juice. Love dill. Ma brings heads of dill in for an aroma bouquet for the kitchen a couple times a week.

riverruns
    Inactive

Dill is going good right now.

riverruns
    Inactive

We did 44 quarts today. Same recipe but I put a half of an habanero in the jar. Some got a whole habanero just to use them up.

Gives the pickle a good kick! flame

Attachments:
    1. 20200731_165626.jpg

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

I love to barter I trade homemade V8 juice for hard cider and homemade wine. It would be great if america would get back to doing this more often.
    [/quote]

Don’t happen to have a recipe for that V-8 handy, do you?? waytogo

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

2 gallons juice tomatoes cored
    4 green peppers
    6 Onions
    10 sticks of celery

Core tomotoes and cook everything until soft. Run threw food mill. I use a paint strainer and remove the pulp its just my personal preference. Usually we make 60 quarts a year.

In quart jar add 1 tsp salt 1 tbsp Vinegar I pressure can mine but do as you wish or just have it fresh.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

We did 44 quarts today. Same recipe but I put a half of an habanero in the jar. Some got a whole habanero just to use them up.

Gives the pickle a good kick! flame

so RR, you don’t happen to mix your brine in a 55 gallon drum or cement mixer do Yea??? devil whistling

Dang you do alot of pickles. wink waytogo

riverruns
    Inactive

Glenn, every late January we go through your area up to Nisswa for the contest.. Remind me in a PM in early January and we’ll stop off and drop you off a quart of hot and regular dill pickles. toast

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Glenn, every late January we go through your area up to Nisswa for the contest.. Remind me in a PM in early January and we’ll stop off and drop you off a quart of hot and regular dill pickles. toast

will do. waytogo

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.