Diesel in cold weather

• gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

Got a new to me LBZ Duramax this fall. Never had a diesel before. New glow plugs 10k ago. Currently starts easy. At what temps can you start having starting/gelling issues? I started adding Howes diesel treatment in the cold weather strength. Got a bottle of 911 just in case. Thanks in advance.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

How far up are you?

You’ll see premium diesel and regular at a lot of pumps. Prium is a winter blend, so unless your in sustained sub zero or extended time, i wouldnt worry.

Welcome to the LBZ!! I’m 300K plus on my LLY. Almost 600k on my LB7.

couple ideas to make your life easier.
    Engine oil
    Summer, run rottella and use 2qts of lucas oil additive ilo 2 quarts of oil.

When I hit winter, I run delvac1 synthetic 5w40. Huge difference starting in zero degrees.

Fuel filter, run a fuel filter that is 3micron. Your injector ports are almost 4micron. Almost all the filters out there are 5 or 7 micron with is flipping stupid. I went with a Fass external pump/filter system that is almost 2 micron. The LB7 was plagued with injector issues and that is the root of the problem.

I run cocktail of different fuel additives for lubricating the injectors. I find running the lucas and anything with cetene boost will help mileage a little.

If you still have factory 245 tires, you’ll want 265s on your next tire change. Speedometer will be off about 4mph at 70mph, but a little better economy and better ride. 285s, and youll need a lift kit so you dont rub on the turns

castle-rock-clown

My first diesel also. As far as gelling, I think the stuff at the auto islands is winterized diesel. The truck island has 2 grades, one non winterized. I would think that’s the one you would have to treat with an additive???

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I am one year into my diesel that is a 2014 and now has 93,000 miles. I use Howes in every tank in the winter and have had zero issues with starting/gelling. Only use the 911 in emergency as I have heard it really dries things up. Just last week I started running the premium winterized fuel.

Good luck with the diesel, the gasser don’t stand a chance peace

404 ERROR
    MN

Wait a second, you found an LBZ that someone who doesn’t tow with their truck didn’t completely b@stardize?…congrats to you, sir!

I spent almost 2 years looking for a stock LBZ and gave up. Add howes, like you stated and you should be fine. You shouldn’t run into any issues when using winterized fuels.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Don’t the new diesels have heated tanks and lines so gelling shouldn’t be an issue. I thought that’s what I read in my manual. I’ve never ran any additives just fuel straight out of the pump and never an issue.

Terry Heese

Had a lot of “limp mode” issues when I owned a LMM, used additives & still had issues at -15 & below. Had a fuel filter heater installed & no more issues.

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

Found A stock 2006 LBZ crewcab dually, 93k. No fifth wheel or goose neck hitch. One owner with mostly dealer service records. New tires and brakes. Prefect condition for a 12 year old truck. Even the drivers side seat wasn’t all worn on the edge. Cost me over book. I have already blocked the ERG and put in the 5 way tune. FASS 165 lift pump purchased but will wait to put on next spring when it warms up a bit. Beans sump too. Stayed with the stock air box and exhaust. Dyno has shown that they will support up to 500HP as is. Seems like alot more power than my 99 chevy K3500 with a 454. And I had the full banks exhaust system and a retuned PCM on that one. I roll with a 4000 lb camper and a Skeeter WX2100.

Attachments:
    1. 2006-resize.jpg

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

Got a FASS and sump to install next spring. Put in M1 turbo diesel 5-40 already. 9 way adjustable Rancho shocks (for camper). Thanks for the tire tip. I could get the tunes adjusted for a different tire size. It might be a while since I usually only run 5-6k per year. At least it will be easily paid for before I buy 6 tires. bawling Like you I’m a Michelin guy. Only problem is the sidewalls usually start cracking before I wear them out. Plan to do the pump rub fix next year. Put in a Transgo Jr kit, deep pan and Transend fluid.

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

I have been researching the heater options for the FASS as a plan B if needed.

Jake
    Brainerd

I got an Lbz as well. Gelled mine up last winter when it was like -20 maybe colder I cant remember. I run Howes and that helps a lot. Pretty sure this happened because I went to a fuel station that I never usually go to and got some bad fuel. Better to use gas stations with lots of traffic in and out. I’d also recommend carrying an extra fuel filter just incase. If you do gel up thats almost always where the problem lies. Just swap, prime, and your good to go. Takes 5 min. If anyones in the market… I’ll be switching to a 6.2 in the next couple months if I can find a clean example. So she’ll be up for sale.

ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

I’ve been running a diesel truck for 12+ years. Just buy your fuel at a station that does a lot of diesel business and you’ll be fine. I don’t add anything and never had a problem. Just about every station I know sell winter blend. At Holiday stores they give you the temp rating right at the pump.

The other thing to be sure of is running light weight oil in the winter. Your manual will show you what temp to switch over at.

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

Got back from Mille lacs yesterday. The duramax started and ran just fine at -20. It had been sitting since Wed. We were able to get our big houses pulled out. Trucks stayed on shore. The ATV didn’t start Sat. morning and had to be pulled off the lake. Its been a while since I have been in those kind of temps. I got my fuel at EC’s at the intersection of 95 and 47. Separate truck island. The #2 diesel wasn’t labeled winter blend but I was confident that it was. I had added some Howes in winter strength. So far so good. The diesel is starting to grow on me. It accelerates quickly without pushing it. Can’t wait to put the camper back on and pull the Skeeter to the Rainy River in April.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Good call on EC’s, they sell alot of fuel. Be sure to let the fluids warm before taking off in this weather. I’ll let my Cummins run 15-30 minutes before taking off. I also carry a bottle of 911 and will ad a couple oz. in this cold to help prevent gelling.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.