Did I Make a Mother’s Day Mistake?

• Leo Dogg

After 50+ years of marriage to the same awesome woman I was struggling to come up with a new and creative Mother’s Day gift.
    I heard an ad on the radio to name a star for your loved one.
    This triggered a thought – Why spend money to name some obscure point of light that you could never visit or possibly even see?
    Why not name a piece of good old Mississippi Pool 3 rip rap for my darling.
    On Sunday morning I gave her a beautiful handmade card containing a photo and GPS coordinates of her special piece of rip rap. I tried to register it with the Army Corps of Engineers but they weren’t interested.
    I sure didn’t get the response I expected. She just gave me a stony faced stare and walked out of the room.
    It was pretty quiet around the old homestead all day.
    When it came time for dinner that evening she served up a plate of burnt Spam and a flat, warm Hamms Light.
    She mumbled something like – Just wait until Father’s Day.
    Did I make a Mother’s Day Mistake?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

She’s not your mother. Sounds like these kids’s issue.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

You may have. It happens to all of us at one point. If this is your first mistake at 50+ years of marriage. You are doing good. I lost track of days one year and forgot to give my wife her birthday gifts on her day. My birthday is the day after hers. When I saw my birthday gifts I know I made a mistake. My first thought was “oh sh!t”. I gave her the presents but the damage was already done. She still brings it up. All you can do is try to do better next year. I am still working it.

Justin riegel

My only thought is how could you be married to someone for 50 years that wouldn’t see the thoughtfulness of your gift. I say on fathers day you just go fishing.

TipUpFishOn

Many husbands will give their wives gifts to celebrate them being mothers as well.

The walking out of the room and burnt dinner seems a bit excessive. She didn’t agree, but you did something you thought was cool. As Justin mentioned, she should’ve at least appreciated the thoughtfulness. After 50 years of marriage, this will pass.

munchy
    NULL

As long as you didn’t give her a tub of ball grease I’d say you’re doing okay.

?????

Think of it another way she served your burnt offerings so she must think you are a god!!

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Leo,
    You need to up your game. A few years ago, a BIL of mine decided to gift his wife, who was REALLY struggling with the thought of turning 50, an extended-care policy.

She didn’t talk to him for weeks,,,,,

HRG

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

Many husbands will give their wives gifts to celebrate them being mothers as well.

The walking out of the room and burnt dinner seems a bit excessive. She didn’t agree, but you did something you thought was cool. As Justin mentioned, she should’ve at least appreciated the thoughtfulness. After 50 years of marriage, this will pass.

Yes I’m aware. I took my kids and there mother out fishing for the day. And had them make her cards.
    I would be more mad about her being so selfish she stormed our of the room. I expect nothing on fathers day. Especially from the wife. But thats probably why I never been and don’t plan on being married

Bob D

Don’t worry there is a place for guys that make decisions like this!

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

Leo,
    You need to up your game. A few years ago, a BIL of mine decided to gift his wife, who was REALLY struggling with the thought of turning 50, an extended-care policy.
    She didn’t talk to him for weeks,,,,,

I think you could achieve this result with a much smaller investment. grin

CaptainMusky

Sounds like when my dad installed a spoiler on the trunk of my mom’s car for Mother’s Day. He was so proud. She was NOT impressed and said “you could have just got me flowers” and stormed back in the house.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

“flat warm Hamms Light.“

That’s called Coors Light.

It’s the FW’s birthday today grasshopper.

“Do you want to eat out or have bbq chicken wings?” (Her favorite)

Grilling at home it is and all is good in BK’s World.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Yes I’m aware. I took my kids and there mother out fishing for the day. And had them make her cards.
    I would be more mad about her being so selfish she stormed our of the room. I expect nothing on fathers day. Especially from the wife. But thats probably why I never been and don’t plan on being married
    [/quote]

Oh!, but you don’t know what your missing. cry cry cry rotflol rotflol rotflol

Sharon
    SE Metro

It’s a common saying for a good reason – it really IS the thought that counts, in my opinion.

One of the best gifts I ever received from Billy and it was an itty bitty toad. We had taken a break after an argument and he wandered off to do some work. He found a toad and walked back over to me and simply asked me to hold out my hand. Billy dropped the adorable toad in my hand and walked away. It wasn’t an elaborate or lavish gift, and I certainly couldn’t even keep it, but it was the thought that completely changed my mood. He knew me well enough to just hand me a toad. ♥ I’ll never forget that.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

A quiet house all day, and Spam and Hamm’s for dinner?!?! Many A few people around here would say you were being rewarded!

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

A quiet house all day, and Spam and Hamm’s for dinner?!?! Many A few people around here would say you were being rewarded!

X2!

Personally speaking, regardless of whether it was a good gift or a bad one, if someone i was with ever behaved that way after i gave them a present the 50th year of marriage would be the last.

MNdrifter

Don’t get me started on Mother’s Day 2021. It didn’t go as planned at the drifter household either. Let’s just say it wasn’t a peaceful day. And I did get the fw a card and small gift. 🤷‍♂️😂

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

You guys just need to surprise your wives with a day of fishing.
    If not let the kids do there thing and just help them. If the mom acts like a spoiled child. Well then that’s your problems for marrying that.

LabDaddy1

Hey guys….I think this post was a joke….

LabDaddy1

If not let the kids do there thing and just help them. If the mom acts like a spoiled child. Well then that’s your problems for marrying that.

Lol bearcat. Get ready for the “you’ll understand one day” and “sounds like you’ve never been married” replies.

“The key to marriage is saying ‘yes dear’ all the time”

Oh boy, SIGN ME UP!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

Lol bearcat. Get ready for the “you’ll understand one day” and “sounds like you’ve never been married” replies.

“The key to marriage is saying ‘yes dear’ all the time”

Oh boy, SIGN ME UP!

No kidding lol. Sure sounds like a good time. I went 10 years in a relationship with my kids mom. She always wanted to get married. Sure glad I never did. Everything I bought is still mine.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.