Did Brunswick " Ruin " Lund, Crestliner and Lowe?

• Doug Larsen
    Minnesohtah

So I’m all for saving costs, but
    Statistically Yamaha and Honda are light years beyond Merc. I’ve come close and may have had a good experience with one but it’s plenty anecdotal. I don’t want to start a Bud vs Miller debate (or something better!) but those two and Suzuki are the class of the options currently, and countless hours of talking with OMC guys is why I bought a 15hp Evinrude previously

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I think it’s like everything else Andy. Ford/Chevy there’s always a few out there….lemons I mean.

Like you I’ve put very little money in my “black death” since I bought it in 2001 and the 15 hp, 9.9 hp and 6 hp all worked well until the day I sold them.

Then there’s the guys that didn’t have any luck with their Merc…and it’s the worst motor on the market.

I’m switching to Yammi in a few weeks…but it’s a black one for two reasons.

1) My FW doesn’t like the Yamaha grey.
    2) So if I don’t look to close I’ll think it’s my old reliable Merc. )

big_g
    Isle, MN

I best get out and buy me that new boat… 1991 Sylvan 175 (riveted alum)… with… wait for it…. 115 Mercury. NEVER been in the shop. I think some of the issues people have, they create, either in real life or their minds. I did see some really old boats tooling around in the Carribean last week too.. they look like they are wood and paper mache, with about 33 layers of light blue paint on the floor and white hulls. And they have these cool bench seats too !!!! devil rotflol jester

Doug Larsen
    Minnesohtah

Lots of good opinions here – My take is this. Some Mercs are amazing. Some are not. What is difficult for the average consumer, is quantifying what matters used. I can tell you I’ll buy any 9.9-15hp Evinrude or Johnson from 1988-1998, but I won’t buy a FICHT. Becuause ownership, sourcing, partnership, parts, engineering and costs all play a role.

Now I get most consumers don’t care about those details, but I do.

I’m a diehard Toyota guy. But if I was going to buy a used Tahoe I’ll buy a 2000-2001 but I wouldn’t buy a 2008 for almost any amount of money.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

^most random thought thread of the week shock

Doug, put the spreadsheets down, close your eyes and just ask yourself which boat is going to make you happy.

Sign the check and move on, will be glad ya did.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Andy,
    in the 70’s I had OMC, and friends had merc’s that I didn’t like, and real reliable. I moved to Yamaha in 1991, and an
    F115 in 2005, and my currnet Yama F150 in 2011. I just like
    them, NO issues; reliability is more important to me than anything else. Had some friends blow a few Opti’s long ago, really have not heard of a Yama F model blow up.
    It’s all personal choice based on the facts you find, and go for it.
    Technology is amazing now to even 10 years ago.
    Good Luck.
    Jack

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

LOL! If a person compares my 2001 Merc 2 stroke carbonated (yes carbonated) to the 2017 Yamaha Sho…it’s like going from oars to a gas motor.

It’s amazing…and I haven’t even turned the key on one yet!

I just hope I don’t miss the smell of burning Klotz oil…

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

So I’m all for saving costs, but
    Statistically Yamaha and Honda are light years beyond Merc. I’ve come close and may have had a good experience with one but it’s plenty anecdotal. I don’t want to start a Bud vs Miller debate (or something better!) but those two and Suzuki are the class of the options currently, and countless hours of talking with OMC guys is why I bought a 15hp Evinrude previously

Please produce these stats you speak of…I admit I am a Merc guy but would be totally happy buying a boat w/ a Yammie on it if I had to. Just curious about these ‘stats’ that I keep hearing Yammie guys reference (especially when someone describes those stats as showing that Mercury is ‘light years behind’…)…RR

big_g
    Isle, MN

*crickets*

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

having 2 mercs in a row. very confused on any negativity? personally my opininon when anyones saying Yamaha is light years ahead they are thinking of a very old merc when all motors were junk compared to todays standards. Has anyone had issues with a 4 stroke merc?

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

having 2 mercs in a row. very confused on any negativity? personally my opininon when anyones saying Yamaha is light years ahead they are thinking of a very old merc when all motors were junk compared to todays standards. Has anyone had issues with a 4 stroke merc?

I had a 1997 4 stroke 50hrs Merc until last season when I bought my new Crestliner w/ a 90hrs Merc 4-stroke. My 1997 never had any issues until 2012 when I had the carbs cleaned. 15 years ain’t too bad I don’t think…RR

Doug Larsen
    Minnesohtah

Rooster – Fair question. Unfortunately its not as easy as reliability indices like the auto industry, but between consumer affairs reporting, NMMA rankings, JD Power Awards (this is the most questionable, there are reports that like Angies List its just pay for performance). Questions abound about sampling, methodology and statistical significance.

Anecdotally, every guide I know and every resort I know on the Canadian Shield now runs Honda or Yamaha. That probably influences me more.

And in a complete deviation, if anyone has a motor this Fishhawk is a steal
    https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/boa/6021988788.html

Doug Larsen
    Minnesohtah

Keep in mind I live in an ecommerce world on a daily basis, so my folks are looking at statistical significance, cohorts, ltv etc for custom analytics reporting so its near and dear to my heart, but I’ll readily admit I’m not sure about JD Powers methodology, so that said – here is one example albeit from 2006. Honda had the lowest issue per 100 4 stroke efi units (small sample, I get it, and yes only 2006) just noting as an example. If you have followed over the years what I have seen is that in the mid 2000s Mercury had some serious issues, that they lucikly listened to and rectified. And in some cases, (ie 2 stroke over 225hp) sometimes they led the industry. That’s the level of detail that I wish was easier for the consumer to have on hand.

I’m not trying to disparage Mercury, just stating that having sifted through a ton of data over the years, it seems that the data indicates Honda and Yamaha have led the field in reliability at an aggregate level.

Anecdotal evidence from high hour users seem to mirror that. Simple as that.

Consumers always have a choice which is the ultimate win for all of us.

http://businesscenter.jdpower.com/news/pressrelease.aspx?ID=2006025

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

“There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.”

Don’t ask: “How does the very small amount of failures for Brand X compare to the very small amount of failures for Brand Y?”

Do ask: “How often does this motor perform without issue?”

The answer to the second question, for all brands, is “Most always.”

Doug Larsen
    Minnesohtah

LOL probably true. Especially nowdays.

We’ve come a LOOOONG way from the old days of outboard reliability

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

Can you please explain how said motors are light years beyond Mercury? That’s a pretty bold statement.

jarrod holbrook

Ironically the early to mid 2000’s fourstroke mercy ran Yamaha power heads. I think it was an EPA issue. I am a Yamaha guy. My buddy actually ordered his Lund without a motor and had a Yamaha installed at the dealership. Yes it cost more. Look to the serious high end salt water boats for your answer. Pursuit, regulator, contender, all run Yammies. I love mine and will NEVER own anything else. I also switched to Toyota trucks after finally having enough issues with GM. Do what you want its a free country. I will say that Suzuki is no joke either. They are really stepping up their game.

disco bobber

I am disappointed in my ’06 Crestliner. The transom wood rotted out and cost me over a month of good summer fishing and $1200 to have a new one made. I replace it myself and I had an guesstimate of over $4000 if I had the shop do it.

It was a combination of bad materials and poor construction. During those years (about 98- 06 for Lund and Crestliner) they used regular plywood. They also had foam sprayed right against the transom. Water could get in from the top and had nowhere to go. They also fail to prime or paint the aluminum on the inside that was next to the transom. My boat gets out quite a bit but is kept in the garage.

The “warranty” does not cover the wood and this experience sure left a bad taste in my mouth about the company. I will definitely be more inclined to look at Alumacraft for my next one.

If you have a boat that was made during those years watch for any looseness (motor moving) in the transom, the top cap not fitting right anymore, or any bubbles in the paint.

jwellsy

I would love to have a War Eagle. Their gunwale rail mounting system and rubberized interior skin options are great. I never see used War Eagles for sale.

Tom Zensen

I bought a new Crestliner boat in 1995. A sportfish 17.5 IO. Fished Milacs Lake on mostly weekends. The boat was always towed home and it sat outside with the Crestliner cover on it at all times with the DRAIN PLUG PULLED. Pulling plug was part of routine when I docked the boat. Around 2003 or so it started leaking. Brought it back to the Dealer I bought it from and they said the transom board was rotted out and leaking at the seal to engine. They wouldn’t warranty it. I had them call Crestliner. They wouldn’t do a thing. How can, what supposed to be marine grade wood rot in less than 10 years? Needless to say I own a Lund now and very happy I NEVER BOUGHT ANOTHER Crestliner.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Welcome to In-Depth.

You wont have to look real hard to find threads on bad transoms on Lunds either. Every company who sells volume will have warts somewhere.

shady5

In general, I suspect Lund is beginning to compromise quality for cost (not price…). I had a new ‘13 ProV that got a scuff in the paint. When I took it to the body shop they told me they could buff it out. When I returned to get it they were surprised at how thin the paint was. I’m not sure what the expected thickness was, but they had to repaint vs. buff. I also thought the latches, carpet, etc. were pretty cheap. That said, I didn’t have any functional issues with the boat or Verado over the five years I had it.

Charles

Creastliner had issues with sealing transom right, not sure but my 04′ all the epoxy sealant holes failed.

Deuces

Hey Tom, I bought a 94 crestliner few years back now and the past owner had it on a dock lift it’s whole life, multiple families used it every weekend at the shared cabin. Way it sat on lift allowed water to get in so rotted out floors, thing got beat to heck and back, ran into some things leaving huge gouges in hull. Last year a 60′ cottonwood fell on it smashing the windshield, taking out parts of the new floor I just replaced, and couple more war wounds on it’s gunnels. Original transom is rock solid, and boat doesn’t leak a drop and continues to be the family recreational vehicle. Trailer was also built like a tank.

I’m sorry yours has not served you well.

toddrun

I find this whole thread very interesting. I like to buy big ticket items right the first time, then keep them well maintained, and keep them for a long time, boats included. So I follow threads like this to keep myself educated what what brands, styles, technology, etc… stands the test of time the best for when I am ready to buy something new.

That being said, I have a late 90’s Alumacraft with a Yamaha 4-stroke and my buddy who treats his stuff like I do has a late 90’s Lund with a Mercury 2-stroke. I cannot say that either of us has had a better or worse owners experience than the other, with no major issues for either of us. I would put my vote that the Lund has seemed to be better overall quality, although I have no issues with my Alumacraft, and both motors have been bulletproof with no issues but I do like the 4-stroke no smoke and quietness much more.

All that said, I am older, thinking about retirement, and my wife gave me the go ahead to purchase one last boat to get me through retirement fishing. So I have added interest in threads like this. I am the typical Minnesotan apparently, with blinders on for manufacturers outside of MN. So I guess I have to do some more research on other brands of boats.

I can say, I am leaning toward fiberglass over aluminum, since it should be my last boat purchase, and likely also stay with a Yammy 4-stroke.

Any opinions on Kingfisher aluminum’s?

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I find this whole thread very interesting. I like to buy big ticket items right the first time, then keep them well maintained, and keep them for a long time, boats included. So I follow threads like this to keep myself educated what what brands, styles, technology, etc… stands the test of time the best for when I am ready to buy something new.

That being said, I have a late 90’s Alumacraft with a Yamaha 4-stroke and my buddy who treats his stuff like I do has a late 90’s Lund with a Mercury 2-stroke. I cannot say that either of us has had a better or worse owners experience than the other, with no major issues for either of us. I would put my vote that the Lund has seemed to be better overall quality, although I have no issues with my Alumacraft, and both motors have been bulletproof with no issues but I do like the 4-stroke no smoke and quietness much more.

All that said, I am older, thinking about retirement, and my wife gave me the go ahead to purchase one last boat to get me through retirement fishing. So I have added interest in threads like this. I am the typical Minnesotan apparently, with blinders on for manufacturers outside of MN. So I guess I have to do some more research on other brands of boats.

I can say, I am leaning toward fiberglass over aluminum, since it should be my last boat purchase, and likely also stay with a Yammy 4-stroke.

Talk with Grouse. He seems to have a bead on the non-MN manufacturer boat market

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Just buy fiberglass and don’t worry about rivets/wooden transoms, etc.

Also, just buy a brand new truck every 3-5 years and avoid high mileage issues.

It will only set you back 150k, but you’re worth it.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

lol funny guy Phil. i wouldn’t be caught dead in a 5 year old truck.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>philtickelson wrote:</div>

lol funny guy Phil. i wouldn’t be caught dead in a 5 year old truck.

haha, what’s worse, a 5 year old truck towing a new boat, or a new truck towing a 5 year old boat?

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’ve looked at these a few times out at a dealership in Delano (I think). They are built like a tank and look to be built for the long haul. However, they are not built for comfort, I brought my wife with the second time and she basically vetoed the whole line. I’d also look into weight differences between MN models and Kingfishers, as I’d guess they are quite a bit heavier which will require bigger trailer & motors.

@Phil
    everyone knows fish don’t bite unless your boat and truck are under 5 years old and paid in cash. Try and keep up! rotflol

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 92 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.