Did Brunswick " Ruin " Lund, Crestliner and Lowe?

• crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Crappie, not to argue your point but you actually can get a Lund with about any motor you want if you look outside the metro a bit. I was looking to get my Lund with a Yamaha 150 on it and that is what led me looking to outstate mn for boats. In the end the Merc 150 with Merc monitor gauges (troll control) was the exact same price as the same boat with a Yamaha 150 and I gained the rpm adjustment not available at the time on the Yamaha and that was the only reason I have a Merc. Looking outstate and ordering early was what brought the price of my pro v within about $1000 of a comparable alumacraft competitor. Definitely had to invest a lot of time into research though. I do like that alumacraft is a lot more flexible locally though as Yamaha and Suzuki are great motors.

I did not know that! I had been told by a few people in the boating industry that if you wanted to swap out motors from a merc to something else there would be an additional cost. Im glad to hear that Lund doesn’t hold so strictly to this. thanks for mentioning that CBMN.

Mocha
    Park Rapids

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CBMN wrote:</div>
    Crappie, not to argue your point but you actually can get a Lund with about any motor you want if you look outside the metro a bit. I was looking to get my Lund with a Yamaha 150 on it and that is what led me looking to outstate mn for boats. In the end the Merc 150 with Merc monitor gauges (troll control) was the exact same price as the same boat with a Yamaha 150 and I gained the rpm adjustment not available at the time on the Yamaha and that was the only reason I have a Merc. Looking outstate and ordering early was what brought the price of my pro v within about $1000 of a comparable alumacraft competitor. Definitely had to invest a lot of time into research though. I do like that alumacraft is a lot more flexible locally though as Yamaha and Suzuki are great motors.

I did not know that! I had been told by a few people in the boating industry that if you wanted to swap out motors from a merc to something else there would be an additional cost. Im glad to hear that Lund doesn’t hold so strictly to this. thanks for mentioning that CBMN.

There might be an additional cost but its probably because Lund/Crestliner can put the Merc on the boat cheaper since both are owned by the same company. I think they call that vertical integration. Since they do not own the other brands they will cost more. I have had my last two Lunds with a Yamaha and no additional cost I was aware of but then I told them I only wanted Yamaha.

Buckeye86
    Inactive

I would only look at one of the 3 brands. Lund makes a great boat but also look at alumacraft. I own a dominator and see nothing in any of my buddies Lunds that makes them any better than my alumacraft. Sure they have a higher resale value but you pay a much higher price when you buy them so they better carry their resale value.

Doug Larsen
    Minnesohtah

Grouse has an interesting point though –

I see used Makos that look like they are new and they are almost 30 years old when Makos were “built right”

Great convo guys. Appreciate the insight

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Got a lund end of year deal cheaper than same size same motor alumacraft last year. was the last new 16 in stock.

For these other ones mentioned that are way better I would imagine they must cost quite a bit more and would be overkill on the 300-1000 acre lakes I spend most of my time on.

Previously had a lund prov tiller 1992 held up amazing. needed a steering wheel to start doing some tubing/skiing with the kids. was hard to part with that 92 never babied it just wasn’t rough on it.

have a feeling I will have a lund hat on for quite awhile

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Alagnak Pete wrote:</div>
    I often laugh at the local MN/midwest love for some of these boats as proclaimed to be the holy grail of fishing boats.

You shouldn’t have to trade in/buy new every 5 years because the whole interior is shot because there is more wood and carpet than aluminum in the boat. You should be able to have one for 20 years, repower and throw in some new seats and be like new again.

My 23 year old Pro-V is still in great shape, original Johnson 115 on it too…It gets ridden hard and put away dry (dry because it’s a Lund wink ).

I bought a Lund Angler deluxe new in 94 and had it for twenty years without any structural issues. Traded it in on ten year old ProV that is now 13 years old and looks brand new, almost!

Guys get new boats every five years because they want to

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I often laugh at the local MN/midwest love for some of these boats as proclaimed to be the holy grail of fishing boats.

“They aren’t worse, Alumacraft just stepped up their game. Lund is still the top dog in alum boats.”

Take a new Lund, Alumacraft, and Chrestliner and fish them the same amount of hours as an alumaweld, war eagle, duckworth, wooldridge, weldcraft, sea ark, etc, etc and see what the boat and hull looks like after 10,15,25 years of serious use and abuse.

There’s a reason the rest of the US and especially coastal areas have never heard of some of the midwest boat manufacturers.

You shouldn’t have to trade in/buy new every 5 years because the whole interior is shot because there is more wood and carpet than aluminum in the boat. You should be able to have one for 20 years, repower and throw in some new seats and be like new again.

Totally agree! I have pointed this exact same thing out as it relates to fiberglass boats.

If walleye guys REALLY want to know what build quality is, the freshwater brands are basically laughable. I was just at the Sportsmans show and the construction quality of boats that midwest guys think of as high end makes me want to cry. Compartments with hinges tacked on with itty bitty screws, all hardware is cheap pot metal, everything is undersized, and built about good enough to get the boat to the dealer for “rigging”.

If you want to find out what REAL fiberglass boat build quality looks like, take a look at a Boston Whaler, Regulator, Pursuit, Grady White, Parker, Wellscraft, etc.

For aluminum boats see list above. I would add North River to your list, as well. These brands are battle tanks compared to the soda cans that are being driven around here.

Sure, with exceptional care, you CAN make a midwestern brand last 25 years. As long as you have a $50k heated garage to keep it in so that it’s warm and dry every day of its life except the few hours a month that it gets used. The amount that we have to baby boats around here to make up for the poor build quality has just become factored in to the equation so guys don’t notice that the price of ownership here includes a massive overhead for storage costs to keep the cheap wood, carpet, and plastic from rotting in 2-3 years. That doesn’t happen on quality brands.

Grouse

Grouse, now you’re on the mark 99% of the time, but this report on our boats sounds pretty dire. Rotting in 2-3 years? Cmon. I don’t spend a dime on storage.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I don’t spend a dime on storage.

x2 and I’m on year 4 of my ownership of a 25 year old Lund.

Jonesy

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dutchboy wrote:</div>
    They aren’t worse, Alumacraft just stepped up their game. Lund is still the top dog in alum boats.

IMO they are the ‘top dog’ simply because peep’s minds THINK they are. I am an admitted Crestliner fan (sorry but I think the forged hull is better…) but c’mon man, Crestliner, Lund and Alumacraft all make awesome boats. Not one of these brands is better than the other in my mind…RR

I could not agree more with that statement. Lund and Alumacraft both make a nice boat. I would buy either one if the price is right.

People always bring up resale value. Yup used lunds sell for more. They also almost always cost more new in an apples to apples comparison. I swear people with 95-02 1775 Pro Vs think they are made of gold. That being said seems like the 98-02 Tournament Pro 175s command some decent cash also. I would wager the resale value is roughly the same between the 2.

Doug Larsen
    Minnesohtah

You literally can’t get into a Pro V for less than $15,000 unless its a 95 or older, or a very rare case. I guess market value is market value, but I’ve seen a lot of rigs that got reposted after no sale last year.

CaptainMusky

You literally can’t get into a Pro V for less than $15,000 unless its a 95 or older, or a very rare case. I guess market value is market value, but I’ve seen a lot of rigs that got reposted after no sale last year.

A sucker is born every minute I guess. No way in hell I would pay that kind of money for a boat built in 95. You may be exaggerrating, I haven’t researched but if people pay that for a 95 pro v they are ridiculous. That is more money than my prior 95 competitor cost NEW with accessories! I sold it for 7k 7 yrs ago. I find it hard to believe that a 22 year old boat would go for that kind of money now. Unless it has some impressive accessories on it.

mojogunter

I guess my point about a good resale value is true. I bought a 1775 pro-v new in 1999 for 17k. In 2013 I sold it for 15k. It was still in exceptional shape though.

jarrod holbrook

Hewescraft needs to be on your radar. I run a 20’tyee on Lake Erie. It is a great boat. Brunswick has not improved anything. They own or owned whaler and sea ray. Very poor quality control. The hardware is very different on a salt water rig compared to a walleye boat. My Lund is holding up well. What upsets me the most is for $100 Lund could treat their wood with penetrating epoxy and eliminate the rotted floors and transom. In a $50k rig I think that it should be done from the factory.

Jonesy

Last year my buddy got a 98 1775 pro v, 125 merc, 1nonth old terrova and I pilot for 7500. He got the better end of that deal. I think he could sell that boat today for 9500+.

But today on Facebook there is a guy asking 9k for a 92 pro v, outdated trolling motor and depth finder with a 99 merc 125.

z-man
    Dousman, WI

For those looking to buy a Lund with something other than a Merc, it can be done. After selling my YarCraft a few weeks ago to downsize, just pulled the trigger on a Lund/ETEC combo. Looked at Lunds, Alumacrafts, Crestliners, etc. at the boat show and at dealers for 3 weeks, and had to narrow it down quickly or go nuts evaluating all the choices and reviews out there. Got it down to an Alumacraft and Lund, solicited three quotes for each, and successfully negotiated with a Lund dealer; it had a few more features than the close runner-up Alumacraft, for just a bit of a price difference
    As far as glass versus aluminum, I owned a 2000 Alumacraft Trophy sport before buying the used YarCraft in 2005; there is no comparison. The similar sized YarCraft handled much better in big water, built solid in and out, and should be good to the next guy for another decade or two with proper care. It’s definitely a boat worth re-powering if the VMax ever takes a dive.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Question for you guys buying new boats in your part of the country. Out West, we would never buy a boat without a test drive. Do you guys practice that with your dealers?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I have never test drove a boat. However i always get a limited time warranty from the dealer on a used boat. Up here you can buy a boat with very few hours on the motor. I would think 90% of the fishing boats sold put less then 30 hours a year on them.

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

Bob, watch you back. There’s probably a team of blue smurfs slashing your tires as we speak.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I would think 90% of the fishing boats sold put less then 30 hours a year on them.

Made me think a little Dutch. I figured out the time per weekend and the weekends that I normally guide and assuming I didn’t take my boat out other then for guiding, I’m at 55 hours per year.

Remember I boat to a location and anchor…then move a few times.
    I consider myself on the water more then the average angler, but even at 55 hours, that’s not very much run time.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I would think 90% of the fishing boats sold put less then 30 hours a year on them.

I put an hour-meter on my previous boat. Granted I don’t make long runs or troll with the main motor, but I was surprised at how few hours I’d put on in a year.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dutchboy wrote:</div>

I put an hour-meter on my previous boat. Granted I don’t make long runs or troll with the main motor, but I was surprised at how few hours I’d put on in a year.

Yep, I’d be more concerned with maintenance than hours. The trolling motor gets the Lions share when it comes to hours.

Doug Larsen
    Minnesohtah

When Dutch said that it made me think too. I bet thats about right. Even a heavy weekend warrior has maybe April-Oct and that would be an outlier.

I get one big trip a year to Canada where I do some trolling for Lakers and sightfish Smallies or troll/cast for Walleyes but even in 5 days including the trip in? I bet the entire trip has that motor on a max of 20 hours and thats fishing from 7am to 10pm.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I consider myself on the water more then the average angler, but even at 55 hours, that’s not very much run time.

Your probably contributing to the boats ‘stink’ 200 hours a year though ;)

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

That’s just a given.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I am a weekend warrior and since 2004 my 2 boats have averaged 62 hours a season. Last summer sucked. I only put 40 hours on it do to being out of commission for 2 months. flame

When it comes to boats, you really have to look at what you are getting for what you pay. Lund are very expensive, you can a boat such as alumacraft which I personally like and the price is way more reasonable and has many of the same features as lund.

slowpoke
    Perham Mn

When it comes to boats, you really have to look at what you are getting for what you pay. Lund are very expensive, you can a boat such as alumacraft which I personally like and the price is way more reasonable and has many of the same features as lund.

You are right Samuel. You get what you pay for. While I have never been to an Alumacraft factory, I am at the Lund/Crestliner factory probably 3 days a week. Quality is the name of the game—they don’t cut corners. I can get the same features on a Kia as a Cadillac. But is the quality the same? I’m not saying Alumacraft isn’t a quality boat as I’m sure it is. But I’ve seen the quality that goes into a Lund for 20+ yrs that I’ve been going there. I’m happy with my Pro V and IMHO it was worth what I paid.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

I looked at Lunds when I bought my Alumacraft Trophy 175,
    the deciding factor for me is I wanted a
    Yamaha F150, and that was not avail with the Lund, only
    Mercury motors. I’ve never had a Merc, and didn’t want to start with one now.
    Jack

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I looked at Lunds when I bought my Alumacraft Trophy 175,
    the deciding factor for me is I wanted a
    Yamaha F150, and that was not avail with the Lund, only
    Mercury motors. I’ve never had a Merc, and didn’t want to start with one now.
    Jack

Ok, just curious…you and several others have posted saying you have an aversion to Mercury motors. I have had mostly all Mercs my whole outboarding life…one Evinrude.
    Never had any problems, dislikes…nightmares with the Mercs, or even the Evinrude for that matter. Just wondering from you or any others avoid Mercury like what, typhoid? shock

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Andy, maybe if they changed the color of the motor I’d like them. Hahaha. It’s all about color coordinating with the boat colors. wink

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 92 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.