Dick's won't be selling "assault" rifles…

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

…and they won’t be selling rifles to folks under 21.

Just announced on Good Morning America.

Sharon
    SE Metro

I just saw their Facebook post and decided to unfollow them. SMH. I don’t shop there but as a last resort anyway, but it’s disappointing to see this kind of response from a company.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I applaud them. Just as it’s a personal choice to purchase those types of guns it’s a corporate choice to sell them.

Anybody who feels they need a AR will be able to find one.

David Blais

I thought they were a clothing and shoe store… coffee

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Im guessing this is to boost their yoga pants sales.

JoeMX1825
    MN

hey, maybe i’ll start shopping there again…just don’t order Striker Ice stuff, you’ll get an out-of-stock order cancellation a few days later..

Sharon
    SE Metro

Here is their post for those who aren’t on facebook:

Attachments:
    1. FB_IMG_1519825647030.jpg

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

They are a clothing store that sells few guns anyway. Just try getting service at the “gun” counter. They probably made the announcement for publicity. Ill avoid going there a few times because of it. See how that works dick ‘s.

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

And now Dick’s will sell just as many ARs as they did the past 15 years.. Their gun area is a joke as is the rest of the store. Take your business to Scheels!

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

So they are looping interviews of Dick’s CEO saying “we don’t want to be part of the story.” The 2013 article I linked states that they enacted thier first temporary ban after getting dragged into the headlines after Sandy Hook.

If you are running out to ban or support Dicks, you are making a much stronger statement about capitalism and gullibility than you are about gun regulations.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Now that’s a positive attitude! woot

hnd

dicks seems to be on the verge of going in to chapter 11 over the last few years and has a falling stock price. For me this seems to be a last gasp. I dont’ think this will boost anything.

SpoonbillSlayer
    St. Michael, MN

I’m totally against the idea of not selling long guns to 18-20 year olds. Your an adult, you should be able to buy your own gun for hunting or shooting. Didn’t go there much, but won’t be going at all now.

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

I applaud them. Just as it’s a personal choice to purchase those types of guns it’s a corporate choice to sell them.

Agree with Dutchboy here.

I thought the anger here was over government over-reach and limiting your 2A rights? Well, this has nothing to do with that. I would save your outrage folks, you just might need it in the near future.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

CEO opportunism at it’s finest. Sticking your mug in front of every camera decrying something that you’re store has made money selling for years. Don’t want to be “part of the story”, but you had no problem being part of the story until there was a PR gain to be made and the stock price has been faltering.

Grouse

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dutchboy wrote:</div>

Agree with Dutchboy here.

I thought the anger here was over government over-reach and limiting your 2A rights? Well, this has nothing to do with that. I would save your outrage folks, you just might need it in the near future.

agree. why would anyone be angry with a company making a decision on how to handle their business? Feel free to not shop there, nothing wrong with that sentiment but to shame the company is ridiculous.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

applause not that I shop there but hey, you got to start somewhere. Maybe others will follow suit? Congrats for someone on stepping up while waiting for the next shooter to pop up….well done!

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I’m totally against the idea of not selling long guns to 18-20 year olds. Your an adult, you should be able to buy your own gun for hunting or shooting. Didn’t go there much, but won’t be going at all now.

This is for AR style semi autos and high capacity magazines if I read it right. You can still buy rifles for shooting etc…..calm down

404 ERROR
    MN

This is for AR style semi autos and high capacity magazines if I read it right. You can still buy rifles for shooting etc…..calm down

I feel his response was perfectly calm. Dick’s clearly states they will not sell any firearms to anyone under 21. They did not specifically call out any type of firearm in the age restriction.

They can do what they want. I didn’t shop there in the past, so I will continue doing just that. Not because I’m mad about their decisions, but because they don’t offer anything I can’t get cheaper and closer to home.

Many people see this move as a last ditch effort to boost sales, which is probably correct. What they’re also doing is polarizing the general public and limiting their customer base. By reading these responses, I can clearly see the Pro-2A crowd is not happy about their decision, which leads me to believe that they have lost a key customer base. A company has every right to voice their political opinion, and many have done so in the past. However, when they do, they will surely upset a certain customer base and run the risk of losing potential customers.

Think of it this way. If they began increasing the sporting rifle, STD cap magazines and bump stock inventory, they could potentially increase the other side of the customer base. In turn, this exact same thread with the exact same sentiment would be seen on a more liberal leaning forum. It’s just one big game of tug of war. Who will win? No one.

Sharon
    SE Metro

It says in their post: “We will no longer sell firearms to anyone under 21 years of age.” Doesn’t sound like this is specific to any particular one type of firearm.

SpoonbillSlayer
    St. Michael, MN

“This is for AR style semi autos and high capacity magazines if I read it right. You can still buy rifles for shooting etc…..calm down”

I’m reading the first set of Bullets, second one. If they don’t sell AR’s, then what guns aren’t they selling to 18-20 year olds.

In the second set of bullets, second one(national push), it also says no gun sales to under 21’s. Once again first bullet says ban AR’s. I guess the way I read this specific letter, they don’t want 18-20’s buying an 870 pump. Maybe I’m reading it wrong.

Yes, I think some of the National pushes are for not selling AR’s to anyone under 21, that is fine with me.

I’m fine with the clip ban, but should really be 5-6 shot to make a real difference.

lhprop1
    Eagan

Much like there are restrictions on who can buy firearms, there should be stringent restrictions on who can buy and wear yoga pants.

Unlike the current NICS systems for firearms, the “back”ground check for yoga pants will only take a few seconds and can be done in the store.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

And now Dick’s will sell just as many ARs as they did the past 15 years.. Their gun area is a joke as is the rest of the store. Take your business to Scheels!

When I heard this on GMA this morning I thought it was a cheap PR stunt. (I’ve been to Dick’s twice. The first and the last time and that was years ago).

While it’s their right to sell or not sell anything they want I was angered that they would use this tragedy to place themselves on a pedestal.

My life will not change in anyway because of their announcement…with the exception that I won’t go to their going out of business sale when the close. (closing is not due to this pr move)

404 ERROR
    MN

Much like there are restrictions on who can buy firearms, there should be stringent restrictions on who can buy and wear yoga pants.

Unlike the current NICS systems for firearms, the “back”ground check for yoga pants will only take a few seconds and can be done in the store.

Part-time job? I would like to toss my hat in the ring for this opportunity. I’ll take the good with the bad.

404 ERROR
    MN

I’m fine with the clip ban, but should really be 5-6 shot to make a real difference.

95% of ammo clips are 10 rounds or less. I could get behind this… coffee

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I have no problem with clip bans as long as I can still purchase high capacity magazines.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I don’t know what you guys are talking about, the Dicks down here are awesome.

moon

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I don’t know what you guys are talking about, the Dicks down here are awesome.

moon

Getting a little too much sun, are you? cool

thewalleyechaser
    Fargo

Haha good even more of a reason not to go to a Dick’s.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 153 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.