Dh and tuned up vs Thorne bros rods

• Brett Ford

Hey everyone, new to the forum here. Was hoping to get some opinions on custom rods. Specifically how rods compare in action between the 3 makers. I currently have Thorne bros powernoodle, quiverstick, panfish sweetheart, perch sweetheart and walleye sweetheart. Looking for some opinions comparing any of those to what dh and tuned up offer and also if anyone feels that dh or tuned up have a rod that fits in between any of the Thorne bros rods.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Hey everyone, new to the forum here. Was hoping to get some opinions on custom rods. Specifically how rods compare in action between the 3 makers. I currently have Thorne bros powernoodle, quiverstick, panfish sweetheart, perch sweetheart and walleye sweetheart. Looking for some opinions comparing any of those to what dh and tuned up offer and also if anyone feels that dh or tuned up have a rod that fits in between any of the Thorne bros rods.

You will get a million tucr guys saying they are the best. I fished 2 of them and both times went back to my perch sweet heart and my Thorne walleye dead stick I personally did not like the tucr rods. But that’s my preference. I have never fished a dh but hear lots of great things. I also have a noodle a buddy built me and I love it so I didnt need to buy a noodle rod. If I had though it would have been a Thorne bros

phishingruven01
    Inactive
    southeast lower michigan

It seems you can’t go wrong with whom ever you go with.

Dan Baker

I haven’t used Thorne Bros or DH, but from reading the descriptions on the the Thorne page this is my best estimate.
    Powernoodle ~ Bullwhip
    Quiverstick ~ Fusion
    Panfish Sweetheart ~ Quick Tip, though the Quick Tip seems to have a faster tip
    Perch Sweetheart ~ Precision
    Walleye Sweetheart ~ Power Precision
    Walleye Sweetheart Medium-Heavy ~ Commander
    I haven’t gone through the DH site for descriptions. From all I have heard, Thorne makes a great stick. I am a Tuned Up Guy so of course I believe our rods are the best. I would recommend getting your hands on all of the products and see what feels best to you.
    Dan

bigstorm
    Southern WI

I havent tried any Thorne Bros rods, but do have a few TUCRs and DH Customs. The DH AL Dente is closest to the TUCR Precision, but I feel the Al Dente is just a little more sensitive or lighter may be a better word to use. I use the Al Dente in shallow water with very light jigs and the Precision Noodle for tungsten jigs/plastics

Also, I have the DH Perch Pounder which is similar to the TUCR Fusion. The Perch Pounder is a great rod, but I fund myself reaching for the Fusion first, it feels just a bit more sensitive

Overall, you cant go wrong with either DH or TUCR. The biggest difference is in customer service and responsiveness when asking questions between the two (no idea how Thorne Bros is)

Brett Ford

Thanks for the replies so far everyone. I’ll note that I am not looking for who is better, I know all 3 make great rods. I’m just looking to add to what I already have without getting something exactly like a rod I already have. So I’m hoping for a few people that have used or own multiple of each companies rods and can provide insight on how one fishes vs the other. I already know the bullwhip from tucr and the pannie drop’r from DH are currently in their own little niche as well. Own a pannie drop’r already just didn’t mention it.

catmando
    wis

I have rods from all 3 that you mentioned when the bite is really tough, I pick up my T.B, Tripwire.

Brett Ford

I have rods from all 3 that you mentioned when the bite is really tough, I pick up my T.B, Tripwire.

Which rods do you have?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’ve really been up and down deciding to buy a tripwire. What length do you have

IceHawk
    Richmond mn

Catmando have to admit when the bite is tough I pull out my tripwire also. Hands down a great rod to downsize and see ultralight bites of finiky fish. Bearcat I have a 28 inch.

catmando
    wis

walleye sweetheart, tripwire, quiver stick,tucr power noodle, dh power noodle, all 32 inchers.except for tripwire, which is a 26, I use it more inside. forgot the Bullwhip,that’s a 32 also, like this rod.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Its all personal preference, but the carbon rods are going to be more sensitive vs the glass rods. So for a jigging rod go carbon, sight rod go glass/noodle style. They all make different handles that can influence your choice also.

404 ERROR
    MN

I’ve got multiples from all three and I prefer the DH Al Dente, Light Tripwire and Precision. All three different applications but I feel those 3 rods are all I need. The perch sweetheart is a really nice rod, but I like the precision more. Now I just wish TUCR would offer their rods without recoils… whistling

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

I’ve got multiples from all three and I prefer the DH Al Dente, Light Tripwire and Precision. All three different applications but I feel those 3 rods are all I need. The perch sweetheart is a really nice rod, but I like the precision more. Now I just wish TUCR would offer their rods without recoilswhistling

But they wouldn’t have a reason to charge an arm and a leg then… The most expensive part of those rods is those 4 guides…

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

They all have settle differences in their rod blank designs, placement and number of the guides that will affect how the rod reacts. So another rod would fit in somewhere but might not be that much different than something you already have. I am still working on getting my hands on the full lines from Thorne Brothers, JT, DH, and TUCR to test and compare. It’s hard to tell the difference with some of the rods that are offered by the big top 4 ice rod makers. But they are there.

Brett Ford

I’ve got multiples from all three and I prefer the DH Al Dente, Light Tripwire and Precision. All three different applications but I feel those 3 rods are all I need. The perch sweetheart is a really nice rod, but I like the precision more. Now I just wish TUCR would offer their rods without recoils… whistling

How would you compare with perch sweetheart to the precision? What difference do you see between them?

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I am not going to say what rod is what to prevent a battle but with this pic you can see what I am talking about in blank design. These are measurements of the light noodle type of rods. These little differences are not much in blank designs. But where the guides are placed also changes the way the blank reacts.

Attachments:
    1. ice-rods.jpg

404 ERROR
    MN

How would you compare with perch sweetheart to the precision? What difference do you see between them?

Not much difference at all, to be completely honest…the precision handles bigger baits a tiny bit better.

MClark

One thing to consider is where you are located. I have never had an issue with the support from T.B, as I can make it into the store. Any of the others it would be via their website, or phone.

I know going into their store, you truly order a custom rod; not one created for store inventory; or you can buy the pre-made ones they have on the rack also.

tucrs
    NW Metro

All you have to do is ask.

Dan Baker

One thing to consider is where you are located. I have never had an issue with the support from T.B, as I can make it into the store. Any of the others it would be via their website, or phone.

I know going into their store, you truly order a custom rod; not one created for store inventory; or you can buy the pre-made ones they have on the rack also.

The Tuned Up store is located in Coon Rapids, MN.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Do yourself a favor and go to Thorne Brothers in Blaine talk to the guys there they are awesome to deal with super nice people very knowledgeable, warranty is never once been an issue for me and they’ll point you in the right direction no matter what you’re looking for

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

I have limited ezperience with the brands named aside from TUCR. I’m happy with those, especially the Precision Noodle, Bullwhip, Precision, and Commander. I have zero regrets about any of those.

I have a TB Perch Sweetheart and a TB Deadstick on the way to compare. I also really like the 24” JT Panhandler for the most finicky panfish. I use that a lot. The JT 34” Gold Digger is a slick walleye rod too. A buddy had a couple of those. JT Walleye Snare is a nice deadstick with a spring bobber also.

To be honest, I don’t think you can go wrong with any of these rod companies. They all have good reputations.

PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

I have owned or used a good number of rods from all 3. They all have great rods and it comes down to personal preference. The TB rods seem (to me at least) to have a bit faster action when looking at the Sweetheart line (perch/walleye) versuses the others. Strangely I think the DH al Dente is the oat sensitive “feel” rod I have ever used which seems contrary to the idea of carbon vs. fiberglass, have to hold it to believe it. Tripwire is hands down (once again my opinion) the best rod for the ultra finicky panfish bite. One thing that I wish TUCR did was add one more guide to their rods. Where DH and TB will typically have 5 guides on a 28-30” or so rod, TUCR only has 4. The weight difference is negligible and it’s my personal preference as I feel the line tracks a bit better with more guides.

To fill the gap in your arsenal I would say go for a deadstick (TB is my favorite) and a tripwire style rod either from TB or DH. The TUCR Commander would also be an awesome rod as well and is the best action of all the walleye rods in my view.

Brett Ford

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Brett Ford wrote:</div>

Not much difference at all, to be completely honest…the precision handles bigger baits a tiny bit better.

Alright thanks, that helps me get a bit better idea of where those two companies lines of rods sit against each other.

Brett Ford

I have owned or used a good number of rods from all 3. They all have great rods and it comes down to personal preference. The TB rods seem (to me at least) to have a bit faster action when looking at the Sweetheart line (perch/walleye) versuses the others. Strangely I think the DH al Dente is the oat sensitive “feel” rod I have ever used which seems contrary to the idea of carbon vs. fiberglass, have to hold it to believe it. Tripwire is hands down (once again my opinion) the best rod for the ultra finicky <em class=”ido-tag-em”>panfish bite. One thing that I wish TUCR did was add one more guide to their rods. Where DH and TB will typically have 5 guides on a 28-30” or so rod, TUCR only has 4. The weight difference is negligible and it’s my personal preference as I feel the line tracks a bit better with more guides.

To fill the gap in your arsenal I would say go for a deadstick (TB is my favorite) and a tripwire style rod either from TB or DH. The TUCR Commander would also be an awesome rod as well and is the best action of all the walleye rods in my view.

Thank you, I did not know that tucr only uses 4 guides.

I don’t have much use for a deadstick, not my style of fishing. I already have a dh pannie drop’r also so I don’t feel the need for a tripwire/pantom type rod.

Brett Ford

Do yourself a favor and go to Thorne Brothers in Blaine talk to the guys there they are awesome to deal with super nice people very knowledgeable, warranty is never once been an issue for me and they’ll point you in the right direction no matter what you’re looking for

Been there countless times, live in the area, those that have worked there awhile recognize me.

tucrs
    NW Metro

I have owned or used a good number of rods from all 3. They all have great rods and it comes down to personal preference. The TB rods seem (to me at least) to have a bit faster action when looking at the Sweetheart line (perch/walleye) versuses the others. Strangely I think the DH al Dente is the oat sensitive “feel” rod I have ever used which seems contrary to the idea of carbon vs. fiberglass, have to hold it to believe it. Tripwire is hands down (once again my opinion) the best rod for the ultra finicky <em class=”ido-tag-em”>panfish bite. One thing that I wish TUCR did was add one more guide to their rods. Where DH and TB will typically have 5 guides on a 28-30” or so rod, TUCR only has 4. The weight difference is negligible and it’s my personal preference as I feel the line tracks a bit better with more guides.

There is 5 on a 30″ rod.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

TUCR…. thank you for being active on this site and clearing up mis-information when posted.

Personally, that and the support they have for the IDO show is enough that I will be buying my first ever quality rod there as soon as I can. Excited to get a bullwhip…. and I will call them for details and advice on a few remaining choices as that seems to only make sense…. get the detail info direct from the source.

Deuces

Highly unusual my comments here considering my current username, but, when John (owner/partowner?) of TUCR came to my garage to pickup some wood flooring for a project years ago and did the usual BSing us fishing guys do, seemed like a real genuine dude. Wood was for a honey do list project many of us have for the wifey, as I speculate to help gain points for the next fishing trip. Fished the same areas and lakes I’m sure many of you here also fish, co-owned a boat with his dad at the time if I recall correctly, and offered to have our kids meetup some time on a cool bite I didn’t know too much about which I never did call him on. At the time he employed local talent, and had IMO some pretty awesome job perks that were available to all of them to borrow and use.

Seems there is some disdain towards this company for possible instances here that wasnt in John’s control. Hate to see a good local company, and as stated show (that you all love!) sponsor get tarnished.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.