DeWalt replacement batteries

• Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I have a DeWalt DCD710. It came with two 12 volt, 1.5 AH batteries. Both of these batteries don’t hold a charge for very long anymore. Replacements from DeWalt are expensive. Snooping around I see several outfits that sell aftermarket replacements for considerably less money. Higher AH ratings too. Is this a good idea, or should I stick with OEM replacements?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

SR

Curt

Buy the Dewalts. I’m scared to death of cheap knock off’s on anything lithium since my nephew lost a brand new lakefront house to a fire caused by the fillet knife issue couple years ago (there was actually a recall on them). There are waaaay too many instances of cheap/faulty lithium batteries causing fires. Not worth the risk to property/life. Unless you are nearby and can somewhat monitor them while they are charging, just don’t plug in to charge and run to town or leave unattended. Just my .02c worth.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

I’ve used the 1st power ones. They work fine but the ah rating is a little exaggerated.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Steve watch for sales sir. They pop up once in a while, I’m sure black Friday/ cyber Monday and Christmas will all have some. Usually you can get a couple 4 amp hour ones for a decent deal. I agree with the knock offs not being a good value, do know a couple people that have bought them with varying results.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

No experience with the knock offs, but I’m a firm believer in “you get what you pay for”. Curt’s point is nothing to take lightly either. How many years did the original dewalt’s last?

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

If the drill came with 1.5 ah batteries and they are old and worn out it must be very low end model. You might just price drill/battery combos for almost the price of a couple 4 or 5 ah batteries. If you got by with one and a half ah batteries, you must not be a very heavy user either, correct?

dirtywater

This isn’t for everyone but hear me out: A new identical drill with 2 batteries is $125. The batteries separately are 60 apiece. buy the brand new kit and sell everything but the batteries for $50. Somebody who has a bunch of batteries already will be excited to add a brand new compact dewalt drill (typically sells for $90 new), and you will have 2 new batteries for about $75 all in.

I’ve done this twice. If you can take advantage of the sales when they come along you can wind up getting the batteries for close to 50% when it all shakes out.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

If the drill came with 1.5 ah batteries and they are old and worn out it must be very low end model. You might just price drill/battery combos for almost the price of a couple 4 or 5 ah batteries. If you got by with one and a half ah batteries, you must not be a very heavy user either, correct?

Correct on all counts. I am a “home handyman” so it’s not like I’m building houses every day. The original batteries have lasted long enough that I don’t remember when I bought the drill. And I was just looking at the Home Depot webpage and see that I can buy a new 20 volt drill with two batteries, a charger, and a bag for less than the cost of replacement batteries for the old drill.

Good points all around and I appreciate all the feedback. Thank you guys!

SR

Tony Hanson

This isn’t for everyone but hear me out: A new identical drill with 2 batteries is $125. The batteries separately are 60 apiece. buy the brand new kit and sell everything but the batteries for $50. Somebody who has a bunch of batteries already will be excited to add a brand new compact dewalt drill (typically sells for $90 new), and you will have 2 new batteries for about $75 all in.

I’ve done this twice. If you can take advantage of the sales when they come along you can wind up getting the batteries for close to 50% when it all shakes out.

^^^this. I’ve done this with some of my old 18v DeWalt tools. Sold the bare tool to someone that already has batteries and then replace with new 20v

JoeMX1825
    MN

the knock-offs work well for a month and then they lose their charge quickly, go with name brand…

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i just replaced my dewalt batteries. they were 18 V bought the 20 V converter kit from runnings. they’ver been like 200 bucks forever. happened to go to runnings when i decided to bite the bullet……they were on sale for 130 bucks!!!!!!

i’m also a big believer in you get what you pay for!!!!

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Food for thought…
    How old is that drill? Do you have other 12v tools that use those batteries?
    It is likely that drill will fail and then you have to buy a new tool or are stuck with the 12v batteries.
    If you watch the sales you can sometimes get a new tool with batteries for the cost of batteries.

HOWEVER, you need to watch what you buy with Dewalt. They make many different model grades and will often pair the crappy model tool with low Amp/hr batteries to make a “low price”… Because of that practice Ive switched brands

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Good call Mark, my mind read 20V not 12V. I had an old one of those drills and yeah, do not buy batteries for it. You can get a new drill driver kit with a couple low amp hour batteries for not much more than replacement batteries. Watch for sales.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Interstate store rebuilds mine.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Here is a link to the drill/ driver combo set. This is not the brushless which is at least a hundo more.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Well that didn’t work but you can google it. chased

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Sell it all and switch to Milwaukee grin

Gregg Gunter

I’ve had battery packs rebuilt at Batteries Plus. Worth a call to the Woodbury store.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

I tried aftermarket batteries for my DeWalt, they were junk. Spend the money and get OEM. You will waste more money trying to save a few bucks.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.