Devils Lake in a permanent – tips?

• shockers
    Rochester

So I’m taking an impromptu trip with my son this coming weekend to Devil’s Lake, going out of Woodlands. And as usual, we apparently picked some of the coldest stretch of weather to try. Just like we did a couple years ago when we tried – and it was…a bit slow. I know, if you want to find fish, you gotta be mobile. But for this trip, that’s not an option for us.

So, if you’re stuck in a permanent on Devils this weekend (I think they move us deeper during day, for potential perch), do you have any tips on presentation and/or lures to try? Walleye and perch are targets.

Much appreciated.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

If you can get in a shack close to shallower water, I wouldn’t be afraid to go after Pike too. You can use 4 lines, so put a couple tipups out. There are some really nice pike. And lots of them.

Ranger188VS

If I was stuck in a shack, I would be jigging with some #3, #4, and maybe a #5 rippin rap on one rod. The other rod would be a dead stick with a split shot, red hook or gold, with a lively minnow. If they don’t hit the Rap, then they would draw to the live bait.

Bring some buck shot spoons along also and some jigging raps as well. They usually work wonders as well. You could fish them naked or tip them with a minnow or a larva of your choice.

Above all, make sure you listen to what the fish are telling you !

GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN !!!!

Ranger188VS

I would use just the head of a minnow, not the whole thing by the way.

shockers
    Rochester

Awesome tips, Ranger. Thanks!

Greenhorn
    Bismarck, ND

Devils is pretty basic as it comes to lure selections. Perch will typically be caught on tungsten jigs with waxies/spikes. Walleyes on rattle spoons with minnows/heads. I haven’t heard of a particular color being superior to others. It has been cold there since Friday, so the fish may be used to it by the time you get there.

tornadochaser

If your doing Woodland’s day house package, they will likely have most of their houses in creel bay. You’ll be in a shallow house morning/evening, and a deep house say 9:30am to 3pm. Creel gets a fair bit of pressure, and for the eyes, they seem to shy away from rattle baits sometimes. flutter spoons, tinglers, etc. with some flash worked for us last feb. in the deep houses, rippin rap to attract perch, small tungsten to actually get them to bite. you’ll want a rod with really good bite detection. Adding an inline weight or some additional split shots above the tungsten will help get down to those marks in the 40′ basin. Run as many lines as you’re allowed, bring your auger with too. If it’s not windy, punch some holes and move around. Talk with the guides when they stop by, be honest about what you’re wanting to do. If the shallow bite is good, they won’t force you to move deep, they will just say “well when you’re ready give me a call” or “go ahead and drive out to the deep house when you’re done here.”

shockers
    Rochester

Really appreciate the tips. Thanks!

Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

Don’t overlook running a tungsten and waxie if the walleyes are tough. We did better with that than the spoon and minnow head last week.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

The last time I was out at Woodland it was very cold and the fish were very negative. We were mostly perch fishing so that is what I will comment on. They wouldn’t hit anything but the tiniest jig and plastic combo we had. It made it painfully slow getting the bait down to the fish as we were fishing deeper points but it is what they bit on. Downsizing was key for us.

Devils lake is really tough fishing out of permanents because the fish are so nomadic, but sometimes it’s all the weather allows for. Good luck! If you can get a permanent close to any wood (like close enough to walk or drive to) the eyes can be sitting in the wood early morning along with perch. I love that lake but the weather is a bear.

Brad Dimond

We were there at the end of February 2020. Hit walleyes on Pelican early, then perch in the basin after 10:00. Walleyes were buckshots with minnow heads. Perch were finicky. Finally got a good bite on tungsten with whole minnow hooked under the dorsal. Keeping watching the flasher, try different combos until you find something that works.

Bill Sackenreuter
    Devils Lake ND

The houses pn Military point are usually good for a few walleyes,and there has been a few perch bites mid-bay this year.

buck-slayer

Woodlands has a lot of shacks. We would fish in one for awhile maybe an hr then move to differant one. Try the hotdogs for northern in shallow water.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.