Detroit River Next Week

• Steve Zamzow
    Des Moines, Iowa

Had plans to go to Erie next week and fish the western basin. With the muddy water and wind forecast we are thinking to head a bit north and try the Detroit River. Never been there. Can anyone help with area of the river to fish and places to stay?

snelson223
    Austin MN

There is a tournament there next weekend. Usually over 100 boats. Looks like southerly winds starting on Thursday so probably a lot of the tournament guys will be in the river.

Bernard Campos

I never stay the night there (2hr drive) so I can’t be any help with that. I can recommend fishing mid-river. The lower river is much more snaggy, especially Trenton Channel. There’s a good launch in Wyandotte with a golf cart if you have to park far away. I used to try to get there at dawn but the lines have been horrible and it wasn’t worth the wait. If the fish are biting they usually bite all day so I just plan on having breakfast and launching around 10 when the early guys are starting to pull out. That gives me 10 hours if I fish ’til dark which is long enough for me. If you have a Canadian license take it with you and a passport or enhanced drivers license. No need to call in anymore so long as you don’t anchor. And don’t anchor! They keep a sharp eye on it. Otherwise stay on the American side, you’ll miss out on some spots and maybe get too muddy of water if there is a strong east wind. The run is definitely on. Mother Nature isn’t making it easy for fishermen.

Here’s a link to pictures of some of the better known spots. At least you’ll know what they look like when someone says Two Rocks or Belanger Park. http://walleye101.com/detroit_river_tour

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Thanks for the link to the visuals “101” very nice information, Thanks! I’m one of the guys that is going with Zamer

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Denny I sent you a PM the other day. Did you get it.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Got it. Thanks

Bernard Campos

I’ll be on the river tomorrow and post a report either late in the day or early Saturday.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Been here this week prefishing with my buddy who is fishing the MWC Tourney Fri. and Sat. There are a lot of small fish in the river just not many big females. Bring lots of jigs. Some of the best locations eat them. If looking for a limit of eaters the Candy Canes in Trenton has alot of fish. Remember it is border water so you need a Canadian license if you fish that side of the channel.

Bernard Campos

Fished mid river at Wyandotte, huge number of boats around Grassy Island, Fighting Island, the Candlestick and in front of the steel mill. Fish still in deep water, 34’-40’ but they were everywhere we tried. Got tired of the pack even though we were catching fish and headed up by the Ambassador Bridge and drifted from there to under the power lines catching more than we were getting in the pack. 51 keeper fish* and many more throwbacks fish in 2 1/2 hours, chartreuse jigs and 3”-4” plastics in a reddish brown called orange craw. The worms come in 5” and we pinch them down, full size got fewer bites and most of those were short strikes.
    Wind is supposed to be very bad the next few days. Water still cold, upper 30s. All fish caught were males and none very large. Good luck.

*obviously we only kept our 4 man limit but we count all keeper size fish.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.