Detroit Lakes Area Report – Mixed Bag 5-16

• loren_keizer

Well I was not able to make it out for the MN opener so Monday morning was my first shot at walleyes. The lake was like glass when I first started out in the morning but I was able to have a nice “walleye chop” shortly after. I fished some shallower cabbage, 8-12 fow, pitching jigs and plastics. The northerns and bass were very active but I wasn’t able to get the walleyes dialed in. I did manage a nice 16″ walleye and 13″ crappie for a meal, releasing all other fish caught.

The surface temps have dropped from last week 5-7 degrees but I expect things to warm back up again quickly with the forecast we have over the next 5-7 days.

Anyone else have any luck over the opener in the DL area?

Attachments:
    1. Good-Eats.jpg

2. Ripple-Shad-Eye.jpg

Catfish_Nuggets
    NULL

We made it out over the course of the weekend in the Ottertail area and ended up doing OK. 2 nice eyes and a bonus perch in the morning Saturday while dealing with that awful wind on OT. They made a great lunch!

That evening we were able to pull in 8 nice eater eyes and a bonus 23.5 cpr on a different lake. Also kept the 5 smallersmaller norskies we boated to pickle.

Sunday evening was actually quite a bit slower for us but we managed 4 decent eaters and some small throwbacks.

Monday morning we found the little guys thick but managed a 22 cpr along with 2 nice eaters.

The ladies appreciated the fish fry since we were gone so much ;-)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.