Deluxe Ice Advantage Rod Case vs Otter Rod Case

• Hunter Blowers

For those of you who use this case I have a few questions for you.

Deluxe Ice Advantage Rod Case
    1. What length of rods does this case accommodate? Can you fit a 32″ or 36″ rod in these?
    2. Does the tackle box in the center have enough space between the guides so it doesn’t bend/break them? (I also know it is removable if this is a problem)

Otter Rod Case
    1. I want to run Shimano Sedona fe 500. The reel handle doesn’t collapse on these, as far as I know. Does anyone have a problem closing the case or rods moving around because of this?
    2. This case will hold 36″ rods, correct?

Any other pros and cons between these cases or what you prefer and why would be beneficial to me. Thanks for your help and time!

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Every shimano I have had, the handle will fold.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

If the new Sedona’s don’t have a collapsible handle then that’s a big MISS for me from Shimano.

snelson223
    Austin MN

I have multiple 36″ rods in my otter. I think the shimanos will fold up if you loosen up the handle. It’s a little bit of a pain in the butt but it works.

Federal

Look at Striker transporter bag ,very nice.

Brennon Nielson

I’m looking at the frabill heavy duty case and for 30 bucks cheaper I don’t see a huge difference in it and the otter

bigstick56
    Lester Prairie, MN

This is an older pic, but 5 of the 6 rods in this case are 36″, the other is 32″. There is plent of room for 40″ combo’s. I like the fact that I don’t have to break down my reels to put away and that you can pretty much drive over this case with no worries of breaking whatever is inside. Big? Yes. Heavy? Oh yeah, But complete peace of mind when I put $1000+ worth of rods, reels and tackle into it. FWIW, I switched from an otter case to this and could not be happier.

Attachments:
    1. Picture-017.jpg

Tony Meyers

Am I the only one who needs a case like these, but one that will fit about 14 rods? Or do people use multiple cases depending on the water/species they are targeting. Yes, I have issues, but I can’t be the only one on these boards.

bigstick56
    Lester Prairie, MN

You could potentioally double up and get more rods in this case, but I usually just put the rods that I will be using for that day in the case and go from there. Very rarely will I be using more than 6 combos in any 1 day of fishing…but that’s just me.

You could potentioally double up and get more rods in this case, but I usually just put the rods that I will be using for that day in the case and go from there. Very rarely will I be using more than 6 combos in any 1 day of fishing…but that’s just me.

I double up when using the Ice Advantage case and often carry 8-10 rods. I’ve had a full 12 ice rods in it, but that’s tricky if you want all the reels installed without folding handles. I really only use the Ice Fishing Innovations case for trips using a wheelhouse or rental when I’m planning to outfit 3-4 people. IMO, it’s not really practical for day to day use for a single person.

RE the Deluxe Ice Advantage Rod Case ??:
    1. What length of rods does this case accommodate?

The long configuration case will barely fit a 42″ rod. I believe the original style only fits 36″ rods?

2. Does the tackle box in the center have enough space between the guides so it doesn’t bend/break them?

Yes, there is plenty of space for the guides to be safe with the tackle boxes installed.

The biggest thing about the Ice Advantage case I find a bit concerning is how easily the lid comes off the case. It can be a slight hassle putting it back together. On the flip side, the removable lid is a decent feature if you want full access without the open case hogging space. You can remove the lid and set the base on top of it to reduce the footprint. The case also doesn’t fit rods with longer handles. The reel seat spacing of typical laker rods doesn’t jive with the foam insert.

The only thing I don’t like about the otter rod case is the large molded handle. It does allow you to put a strap through it if you want to cinch it down good and it also affords the option to wield the case as a weapon if necessary, but it gets in the way and makes the case considerably bulkier than necessary.

I use a 42″ Plano tactical case (now called Frabill Heavy Duty rod case) for laker rods, it’s a decent case. It is heavy and has a few too many latches. More latches is probably good when it contains a tactical rifle, I find it overkill for ice rods.

My favorite rod cases are the Lakewood ice pole caddies. I use those for most of my day to day fishing needs. I like them because they are extremely light, easily hold 4-6 rods, relatively compact and afford a reasonable level of protection. I’m not typically looking for drive-over protection.

gonehunting

Fishwater,
    On the Plano tactical case you can pop the pins and remove some of the latches. I brought the same thing up to the Frabill Rep at the Scheels Ice Show last year. He told me all you had to do was push the silver pin out and it went from 5 latches to 3. Still a pretty heavy case but protects rods well.

Joe Thody
    Auburn, NE

Frabil heavy duty rod case here.

Kfactor

Why don’t you make one then u can build it to the size of rods u want to put in it That’s what I did and I love my rod case. I also have my ice fishing hooks in it too all in one . I had my showdown in the case to but just got the lx7 so no more room lol

CaptainMusky

Look at Striker transporter bag ,very nice.

I own one, this will be my 3rd season with it and I would NOT recommend it to anyone. Quality/Design issues that I am not happy with. I like the idea of all the tackle storage, but that doesn’t outweigh seams coming apart or the nuisance fabric in the rod tubes that serve ZERO purpose other than to catch my custom DH noodle rod recoil guide and snap the end off.

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

The reel handle doesn’t collapse on these, as far as I know.

Yes, these reel handles collapse.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.