CWD testing

• Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

i was just wondering everyones opinions on this CWD testing and the way they conduct it. supposedly they have to make a “small incision” in the neck to take a sample….well when they did it to our first deer they might as well have just taken the whole head, there wasn’t much left .

besides, do we really want them to find any traces of CWD. if they do, they’re just going to start wiping out the heard like they did over in Wisconson. and that’s the last thing we want.

…so, unless you’re truely worried about your deer being infected by CWD, i say boycot the CWD testing!!! don’t give them any more ammunition. i know they will never touch a deer from our group again.

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

I don’t want them to find any traces of CWD, but I guess I would rather know about it rather than not.
    Just my $.02 worth.
    Steve

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

I don’t want them to find any traces of CWD, but I guess I would rather know about it rather than not.
    Just my $.02 worth.
    Steve

gary_wellman
    South Metro

I understand that they harvested alot of deer in Wisconsin, investigation the infestation. However, to my understanding….Wisconsin has some of the best deer hunting.

My opinion is that if there is a problem, it needs to be identified and not hidden………….Looks like some people down south tried to hide their Asian carp too. Look where that got us!!!!!!!!!

gary_wellman
    South Metro

I understand that they harvested alot of deer in Wisconsin, investigation the infestation. However, to my understanding….Wisconsin has some of the best deer hunting.

My opinion is that if there is a problem, it needs to be identified and not hidden………….Looks like some people down south tried to hide their Asian carp too. Look where that got us!!!!!!!!!

bucketmouth1

Hey Jake
    I let them sample my deer. I didn’t figure it was a big deal. I’ll have my deer all ate before the results come back if it is positive. They cut the horns off for me and took the head. Just my experience.

bucketmouth1

Hey Jake
    I let them sample my deer. I didn’t figure it was a big deal. I’ll have my deer all ate before the results come back if it is positive. They cut the horns off for me and took the head. Just my experience.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Jake, were you going to have the head mounted? and if not the whats the problem with a hole in the neck?

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Jake, were you going to have the head mounted? and if not the whats the problem with a hole in the neck?

jeffsedlmayr
    Wisconsin

just wondering if you would rather have it and somehow have it effect other animals and that around you??? wisconsin is one of the best states for trophy whitetails, especially buffalo county. we just had our cwd test last year no one really complained or cared. It would be a nice thing to know if it was here, so what is the big deal over it??

jeffsedlmayr
    Wisconsin

just wondering if you would rather have it and somehow have it effect other animals and that around you??? wisconsin is one of the best states for trophy whitetails, especially buffalo county. we just had our cwd test last year no one really complained or cared. It would be a nice thing to know if it was here, so what is the big deal over it??

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

your right guys, it isn’t really that big of a problem. the deer wasn’t big enough to be mounted and it’s not like it’s hurting anything by doing the test.

…..the only downer is that you sure as heck ain’t gonna get a very nice picture of that deer anymore with no neck. and it’s extreemly difficult to hang a deer by the horns anymore when it’s whole body weight is being supported by a flap of skin. we had to hang that deer by it’s legs .

i also think that the money being spent, where ever it is coming from, could be used in better ways. ways that would actually improve the hunting conditions.

i do know that wisconsin has some of the best hunting around, but you can’t tell me it’s much good in the areas where they practically wiped out the whole herd to do the testing. there can’t hardly be a deer left . that’s what i don’t want to see happen here. if they find a trace of CWD in one of our deer, our spots are pretty much screwed. espcially since there still has been no evidence of CWD affecting humans.

just my opinion, and i’m glad your sharing yours

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

your right guys, it isn’t really that big of a problem. the deer wasn’t big enough to be mounted and it’s not like it’s hurting anything by doing the test.

…..the only downer is that you sure as heck ain’t gonna get a very nice picture of that deer anymore with no neck. and it’s extreemly difficult to hang a deer by the horns anymore when it’s whole body weight is being supported by a flap of skin. we had to hang that deer by it’s legs .

i also think that the money being spent, where ever it is coming from, could be used in better ways. ways that would actually improve the hunting conditions.

i do know that wisconsin has some of the best hunting around, but you can’t tell me it’s much good in the areas where they practically wiped out the whole herd to do the testing. there can’t hardly be a deer left . that’s what i don’t want to see happen here. if they find a trace of CWD in one of our deer, our spots are pretty much screwed. espcially since there still has been no evidence of CWD affecting humans.

just my opinion, and i’m glad your sharing yours

jeffsedlmayr
    Wisconsin

so you are saying you would rather bite into a cwd deer than a bad deer? Most people down where the eradication zone was were happy to know that they were getting rid of a problem that could turn out to be dissasterous. YEah the hunting down there is pretty nil right now, but it is better for future heards of deer. I dunno, we usually hang deer by the legs anyways, i think it’s easier but it is whatever you grew up doing i guess.
    p.s. take your pic before the deer loses its head!

jeffsedlmayr
    Wisconsin

so you are saying you would rather bite into a cwd deer than a bad deer? Most people down where the eradication zone was were happy to know that they were getting rid of a problem that could turn out to be dissasterous. YEah the hunting down there is pretty nil right now, but it is better for future heards of deer. I dunno, we usually hang deer by the legs anyways, i think it’s easier but it is whatever you grew up doing i guess.
    p.s. take your pic before the deer loses its head!

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Jake,
    Jeff is right take that pic in the field before you gut the deer out, it is a much better pic, look at the ones in Outdoor News. Also if you are going to hang your deer you really should hang it by its hind legs anyway. I do not know what the proper name is but you can get something that looks like a hanger (I will post a pic later) that works great for me.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Jake,
    Jeff is right take that pic in the field before you gut the deer out, it is a much better pic, look at the ones in Outdoor News. Also if you are going to hang your deer you really should hang it by its hind legs anyway. I do not know what the proper name is but you can get something that looks like a hanger (I will post a pic later) that works great for me.

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

we always used to hang them by the legs, but our processor told us that it was better for the meat to hang em by the head. he said it’s a good idea to rinse the inside out with a hose and let em drain out. so that’s how we do it now.

we also like to get pictures of the whole group with all the deer. that’s why we usually wait to get pictures until the last day of the season. we take em all down, get our pics, and load em up to be taken to the processor. i know that we should get into the habit of getting pics in the feild .

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

we always used to hang them by the legs, but our processor told us that it was better for the meat to hang em by the head. he said it’s a good idea to rinse the inside out with a hose and let em drain out. so that’s how we do it now.

we also like to get pictures of the whole group with all the deer. that’s why we usually wait to get pictures until the last day of the season. we take em all down, get our pics, and load em up to be taken to the processor. i know that we should get into the habit of getting pics in the feild .

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Hey Jake with the heads cut off they should dry out fine

I guess it depends on which processor you talk to, my father in law use to make sausage for me and he told me never to hang the deer by its head. His reasoning is that you do not see lockers hang cattle by there heads so why would you hang a deer by its head? I do not know what the reason for this is, why it would be better one way or the other. Maybe Tom Crowe can shed some light on this subject for us.

Myself I do not like to hang deer if I do not have too. After I field dress the deer I will take it home clean it out with a garden hose and then get it prossed as soon as possible.

Check out this post by Tom Crowe. Take GOOD care of your Deer

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Hey Jake with the heads cut off they should dry out fine

I guess it depends on which processor you talk to, my father in law use to make sausage for me and he told me never to hang the deer by its head. His reasoning is that you do not see lockers hang cattle by there heads so why would you hang a deer by its head? I do not know what the reason for this is, why it would be better one way or the other. Maybe Tom Crowe can shed some light on this subject for us.

Myself I do not like to hang deer if I do not have too. After I field dress the deer I will take it home clean it out with a garden hose and then get it prossed as soon as possible.

Check out this post by Tom Crowe. Take GOOD care of your Deer

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

now i’d probably get that deer checked out. the way it just keeps running back & forth looks a little suspicious to me .

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

now i’d probably get that deer checked out. the way it just keeps running back & forth looks a little suspicious to me .

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.