First timer / needs advise

• smithkeith
    Waterloo, Iowa

Now that the kids are gone and I have more time, I really want to get into bow hunting. I have never shot a compound bow or know where to start to buy one. Any advise would be welcomed. I have looked at the Bow Tech line and from what I have read, they appear to be a good bow. Thanks in advance.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Mathews! I should leave the bulk of start up advise to someone more in your region but for bows……………..that’s the brand I like!

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Mathews! I should leave the bulk of start up advise to someone more in your region but for bows……………..that’s the brand I like!

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Martin makes a nice bow. As does Bowtech. Champion is another name that comes to mind.

I’m not knocking Matthews, they do make a great bow. How much of that price tag is name recognition? They are like the Harley Davidson of compound bows. I just find it hard to believe their costs of making a bow far exceed the costs of other bow companies. If I am not mistaken( I may be), there are other bows out there that get their limbs and cams from Matthews and don’t charge nearly as much.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Martin makes a nice bow. As does Bowtech. Champion is another name that comes to mind.

I’m not knocking Matthews, they do make a great bow. How much of that price tag is name recognition? They are like the Harley Davidson of compound bows. I just find it hard to believe their costs of making a bow far exceed the costs of other bow companies. If I am not mistaken( I may be), there are other bows out there that get their limbs and cams from Matthews and don’t charge nearly as much.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I think of Croix and Loomis the same way Fleck. However, I still buy ’em, use ’em, and love ’em! Harley’s on the other hand…………….true definition of a name plate if ever there was one.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I think of Croix and Loomis the same way Fleck. However, I still buy ’em, use ’em, and love ’em! Harley’s on the other hand…………….true definition of a name plate if ever there was one.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Yeah, I hear ya. It’s amazing though, when you see used Matthews bows for $500. I supposed if I took bow hunting more serious I wouldn’t have a problem dropping the $ for a Matthews. As it is now, I have way too many hobbies. I’ll need a second job just to pay for my new St. Croix rods. That Thompson Encore wasn’t cheap either.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Yeah, I hear ya. It’s amazing though, when you see used Matthews bows for $500. I supposed if I took bow hunting more serious I wouldn’t have a problem dropping the $ for a Matthews. As it is now, I have way too many hobbies. I’ll need a second job just to pay for my new St. Croix rods. That Thompson Encore wasn’t cheap either.

bigjigger2002
    Pearlcity , Illinois

My first bow was a Bear bow,my 2nd was a PSE,MY 3RD Was a High Country and now I have a Browning Mirage, with a whisker buiscuit arrow rest and a Cosmic sight by Impact man what a sat up. I Love my Browning

bigjigger2002
    Pearlcity , Illinois

My first bow was a Bear bow,my 2nd was a PSE,MY 3RD Was a High Country and now I have a Browning Mirage, with a whisker buiscuit arrow rest and a Cosmic sight by Impact man what a sat up. I Love my Browning

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I have my personal preference in bows but its diffrent from what i was shooting when i started. My advice would be go to a good archery store where theres a knowledgeable bowsmith and quite a few bows you can draw back on at your approxamate draw length or exact draw length. Try drawing back a 1/2 dozen if possible to see what you like. If you’ve never shot with a release try them, thier a definate plus for accuracy. My first impression on how they feel when drawing one back is usually my first choice. If you’ve narrowed it down to a few then buy a few arrows cut to your draw length and use these to check out the bows you’ve narrowed it down too. see if they will let you shoot a few arrows through it with a release hopefully at thier instore backstop. Look for a smooth draw from the time when you start to draw it back until its at full draw. shoot until your satisfied on your bow. Don’t hurry and Don’t buy it if theres any question on how it feels, it should feel smooth and it will feel right, take your time and don’t buy one spontainesly. This one fits you the most. Have it tuned to your draw length and use an arrow rest with or without an overdraw. Find the right pin sight that you like and have it mounted on your bow. Find a good release, spend a few more bucks and get a better sight, rest and release you’ll be glad you did. If your going to hunt buy an arrow quiver for your bow and practice with it on your bow. Most of all take your time, if thiers any questions ask the experienced bowsmith, he knows his bows and will tell you what to look for plus he’ll know when your bow fits you when you draw it back in front of him. he’ll help you narrow it down. don’t be afraid to ask him anything on your mind.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I have my personal preference in bows but its diffrent from what i was shooting when i started. My advice would be go to a good archery store where theres a knowledgeable bowsmith and quite a few bows you can draw back on at your approxamate draw length or exact draw length. Try drawing back a 1/2 dozen if possible to see what you like. If you’ve never shot with a release try them, thier a definate plus for accuracy. My first impression on how they feel when drawing one back is usually my first choice. If you’ve narrowed it down to a few then buy a few arrows cut to your draw length and use these to check out the bows you’ve narrowed it down too. see if they will let you shoot a few arrows through it with a release hopefully at thier instore backstop. Look for a smooth draw from the time when you start to draw it back until its at full draw. shoot until your satisfied on your bow. Don’t hurry and Don’t buy it if theres any question on how it feels, it should feel smooth and it will feel right, take your time and don’t buy one spontainesly. This one fits you the most. Have it tuned to your draw length and use an arrow rest with or without an overdraw. Find the right pin sight that you like and have it mounted on your bow. Find a good release, spend a few more bucks and get a better sight, rest and release you’ll be glad you did. If your going to hunt buy an arrow quiver for your bow and practice with it on your bow. Most of all take your time, if thiers any questions ask the experienced bowsmith, he knows his bows and will tell you what to look for plus he’ll know when your bow fits you when you draw it back in front of him. he’ll help you narrow it down. don’t be afraid to ask him anything on your mind.

bassguy
    MANKATO

KEITH,
    WHEN I FIRST STARTED, I DID NOT KNOW A THING. I BOUGHT A BOOK CALLED “BOWHUNTING EQUIPMENT & SKILLS” FROM THE THE HUNTING AND FISHING LIBRARY SERIES. I READ IT ABOUT 10 TIMES, BECAUSE THERE IS A LOT OF STUFF TO KNOW. THEN BUY A BOW FROM AN ARCHERY SHOP AND THEY WILL SET IT UP FOR YOU AND GIVE YOU SOME TIPS ECT. REFLEX OR BROWNING HAVE VERY GOOD STARTING BOWS AT REASONABLE PRICES. BY DOING A LITTLE READING ON THE SUBJECT HELPED ME TO BECOME A GOOD SHOOTER IN A SHORT TIME.

bassguy
    MANKATO

KEITH,
    WHEN I FIRST STARTED, I DID NOT KNOW A THING. I BOUGHT A BOOK CALLED “BOWHUNTING EQUIPMENT & SKILLS” FROM THE THE HUNTING AND FISHING LIBRARY SERIES. I READ IT ABOUT 10 TIMES, BECAUSE THERE IS A LOT OF STUFF TO KNOW. THEN BUY A BOW FROM AN ARCHERY SHOP AND THEY WILL SET IT UP FOR YOU AND GIVE YOU SOME TIPS ECT. REFLEX OR BROWNING HAVE VERY GOOD STARTING BOWS AT REASONABLE PRICES. BY DOING A LITTLE READING ON THE SUBJECT HELPED ME TO BECOME A GOOD SHOOTER IN A SHORT TIME.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.