What rifle will you choose to carry opening Day?

• tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

I have a tough choice every year. I have a Weatherby .300 , Sako Dlx Hunter 7MM Mag, Sako custom 30.06, Sako Litewt .308, Tikka .243, and a new Ruger #1A single shot in 7X57MM.
    I am leaning toward the little Ruger right now.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I’ve got a Remington .308 that was handed down from my grandpa, the Christmas prior to his passing. It’s been the best deer hunting gun I’ve ever owned and it’s got all that history attached to it! The choice is an easy one……….

Given the land I hunt on, anything bigger seems a waste. Close range, brushy stuff. I’ve used bigger and it just tears up more meat.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I’ve got a Remington .308 that was handed down from my grandpa, the Christmas prior to his passing. It’s been the best deer hunting gun I’ve ever owned and it’s got all that history attached to it! The choice is an easy one……….

Given the land I hunt on, anything bigger seems a waste. Close range, brushy stuff. I’ve used bigger and it just tears up more meat.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

When I hunted in Wi, I used a Savage 250-3000. That gun is unbelievably accurate. It’s so light, it’s like shooting deer with a .22. It too was handed down to me from my Dad. He killed 87 deer with it out west. I’ve been lucky enough to add my share to its total. If I ever go back to hunting deer in Wi I won’t think twice as to what gun will accompany me.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

When I hunted in Wi, I used a Savage 250-3000. That gun is unbelievably accurate. It’s so light, it’s like shooting deer with a .22. It too was handed down to me from my Dad. He killed 87 deer with it out west. I’ve been lucky enough to add my share to its total. If I ever go back to hunting deer in Wi I won’t think twice as to what gun will accompany me.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

I choose to carry a new Sako .270 WSM composite. Unfortunetly, I don’t own one.

I will be carrying my Browning A-Bolt 30-06. Shooting 165 grain Remington Accutips.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

I choose to carry a new Sako .270 WSM composite. Unfortunetly, I don’t own one.

I will be carrying my Browning A-Bolt 30-06. Shooting 165 grain Remington Accutips.

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

My old blond stocked 30.06. bolt it’s a Sears label but essentially a Win. model 70. The blond stock ticks off one of my hunting buddies every year. I sanded down the original brown stain and oil finished it except for the checkering. What could be better than an oiled blond in your hands!!

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

My old blond stocked 30.06. bolt it’s a Sears label but essentially a Win. model 70. The blond stock ticks off one of my hunting buddies every year. I sanded down the original brown stain and oil finished it except for the checkering. What could be better than an oiled blond in your hands!!

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Quote:

What could be better than an oiled blond in your hands!!

One with a voice box bypass switch!

Take it easy guys…………….trying to get the joke across without threatening our “G” rating!

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Quote:

What could be better than an oiled blond in your hands!!

One with a voice box bypass switch!

Take it easy guys…………….trying to get the joke across without threatening our “G” rating!

Bird
    River Falls, WI

Will be hunting both MN and WI opener. My brother lives up by Brainerd and received permission to hunt some property along the Crow Wing River and needs a grunt to help him with dragging. Will be shooting a hand-me-down from my dad, a .243 Remington Model 788 with a Weaver 4X9 scope and 100 grain Remington Core-Lokt bullets. Very accurate, just they old scope doesn’t bring in much light… hope nothing comes through till 6:45 AM. Good Luck!

Bird
    River Falls, WI

Will be hunting both MN and WI opener. My brother lives up by Brainerd and received permission to hunt some property along the Crow Wing River and needs a grunt to help him with dragging. Will be shooting a hand-me-down from my dad, a .243 Remington Model 788 with a Weaver 4X9 scope and 100 grain Remington Core-Lokt bullets. Very accurate, just they old scope doesn’t bring in much light… hope nothing comes through till 6:45 AM. Good Luck!

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Since I will be hunting in SE MN I think the DNR would frown on me using a rifle So I will be using my trusty Remington 870 SP Deer Gun with a rifled slug barrel

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Since I will be hunting in SE MN I think the DNR would frown on me using a rifle So I will be using my trusty Remington 870 SP Deer Gun with a rifled slug barrel

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

I will be carrying a Remington Model four 308 auto……it has a redfield 2×7 scope. This gun drives nails!!!!!!!

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

I will be carrying a Remington Model four 308 auto……it has a redfield 2×7 scope. This gun drives nails!!!!!!!

zimmy101
    Hager City Wisconsin

Don’t look now Steve, but I see a mouse in the left part of your picture. A big one too!
    I used to have the 870 also, but I shot left-handed, so I bought a Browning BPS with a rifled choke tube and a Leupold 1-4 power matte finish shotgun scope. The BPS shotguns eject the shells out the bottom. A little heavy but worth it.

zimmy101
    Hager City Wisconsin

Don’t look now Steve, but I see a mouse in the left part of your picture. A big one too!
    I used to have the 870 also, but I shot left-handed, so I bought a Browning BPS with a rifled choke tube and a Leupold 1-4 power matte finish shotgun scope. The BPS shotguns eject the shells out the bottom. A little heavy but worth it.

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Mo-fishn those 788s are great little guns. I,ll be using one in 6mm with a Bushnell 4200 elite 3×9 on top.

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Mo-fishn those 788s are great little guns. I,ll be using one in 6mm with a Bushnell 4200 elite 3×9 on top.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Can’t go wrong with my 870 Wingmaster (as I too, hunt zone 3, so rifles aren’t welcomed), with a 24″ Hastings rifled barrel/cantilever scope mount, topped with a Simmons 4x scope, and loaded with 2 3/4″ Federal Barnes Expanders in 3/4oz weight. 2″ grouping at 100 yards, 5 for 5 target hits (10″ target) @ 200 yards.

Man, do I love this gun……..

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Can’t go wrong with my 870 Wingmaster (as I too, hunt zone 3, so rifles aren’t welcomed), with a 24″ Hastings rifled barrel/cantilever scope mount, topped with a Simmons 4x scope, and loaded with 2 3/4″ Federal Barnes Expanders in 3/4oz weight. 2″ grouping at 100 yards, 5 for 5 target hits (10″ target) @ 200 yards.

Man, do I love this gun……..

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

Zimmy101, I’m also a lefty and bought a BPS 12 gauge with a 30″ full choke barrel when lead was still leagal for waterfowl. The gun works great but the barrel doesn’t shoot steel or slugs worth a darn. I have since paid the extra money for a left handed 870 and am doing well with that, but I’m wondering how you got a scope on that BPS. Does the rifled barrel have a place for it.

Like you, I would recomend a BPS for lefties if they want a gun with more options available. I can’t find slug barrels for my 870. I was lucky to get the last scope mount from Gander Mountain because they said they wouldn’t stock them any more.

At least Bowning doesn’t discriminate against us poor lefties by charging more for their product. Righties don’t know how good they have it. They even live longer than we do.

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

Zimmy101, I’m also a lefty and bought a BPS 12 gauge with a 30″ full choke barrel when lead was still leagal for waterfowl. The gun works great but the barrel doesn’t shoot steel or slugs worth a darn. I have since paid the extra money for a left handed 870 and am doing well with that, but I’m wondering how you got a scope on that BPS. Does the rifled barrel have a place for it.

Like you, I would recomend a BPS for lefties if they want a gun with more options available. I can’t find slug barrels for my 870. I was lucky to get the last scope mount from Gander Mountain because they said they wouldn’t stock them any more.

At least Bowning doesn’t discriminate against us poor lefties by charging more for their product. Righties don’t know how good they have it. They even live longer than we do.

hooks
    Crystal, Mn.

I shoot a Rem. .270
    I shoot a handloaded cartridge, 152 grains of powder with 130gr. Barnes X bullets. There a little hot, but fly nice and straight with lots of knock down power. “In like a quarter, out like a cash register”.
    Very seldom have Deer run very far, like 10 yards!

hooks
    Crystal, Mn.

I shoot a Rem. .270
    I shoot a handloaded cartridge, 152 grains of powder with 130gr. Barnes X bullets. There a little hot, but fly nice and straight with lots of knock down power. “In like a quarter, out like a cash register”.
    Very seldom have Deer run very far, like 10 yards!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Ruger M-77 Mark II, 30-06, Leupold Vari X II. Federal Premium 150gr nosler balistic tip. seeya.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Ruger M-77 Mark II, 30-06, Leupold Vari X II. Federal Premium 150gr nosler balistic tip. seeya.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.