MN Youth hunt with my son Gunner

• jason_ramthun
    Byron MN

What a great way to get these young kids in the woods and away from TV and TV games .

Gunner is 10 and this was his first deer hunt . Our first sit was crazy fun as we seen a ton of

deer that he could have shot but he told me I’m holding out for a buck dad

As it started getting dark I could see a big buck coming across the picked corn so I had him

get ready as I called to the buck … This buck came with in 30 yards of us and he told me he

was not going to shoot ? I was like WHAT ! Come to find out he couldn’t see real well as it was

getting dark ( still shooting hours ) and was not sure of his shot … Smart kid and I was happy that he didn’t shoot if he

wasn’t real sure about it …. Back to camp we went for some eats and get ready for the next days hunt .

As the days passed we didn’t see much for bucks and I told the lil man you best shoot a doe if one comes out and he

said yep today is a doe day dad … Haaaa Got back in our spot , not 15 min had went by and one walks out …

30 yard shot and Gunner was on her … BOOM …. Looks over at me and I said you missed bud !

As the Tears came and came I was like you need to just calm down and think about what you did.. WE ALL MISS !

I told him another one will come by you just need to get it together and nail the next one Nothing that a pop and a

candy bar can’t fix Not even a hour later a big doe comes out at 55 yards . I’m like get on her bud .. ” Gunner” I’m on her

dad …. ” Me” breathe , aim and pull that trigger …. BOOM , Down she went !!! High fives going like crazy and many many hugs !!

The best thing a dad can hear is your own kid saying thank you so much for taking me hunting and I love you dad !!!! Then you get the

“can we go look at her” …. …. Love that kid !!!!!!

jason_ramthun
    Byron MN

No idea why it cut up my story like that when I posted it

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Best read in a long time! I can only imagine the emotions you had of pride and sorrow watching him be upset to elation!

ragerunner
    Winona, MN

Great story! I think we all remember our first hunt. Doe, buck, fawn…it doesn’t matter what we shoot. We just want to pull the trigger. Congrats to you and your boy.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

That’s awesome! Congratulations Gunner! Your first deer is always special and the both of you will remember it forever! . Great job Dad!

budaman
    North Metro, MN

Very cool!!

tbetts1000
    Hastings and Lake Vermilion MN

Awesome story and congrats to Gunner!!
    The story brought back memories of sitting with my dad and having the same conversations and more memories of me sitting with my son doing the same thing.
    Thanks for the great story, Gunner is hooked forever!!

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

Brings back fond memories of both of my sons 1st kills. Congrats. Love the war paint. Almost convinced one of mine to take a bite of the heart.

Mwal

kentuckyboy
    Maple Grove, MN

Great story and congrats to Gunner.
    My son is only 4 and I’m already looking forward to him taking his first deer.

willy_d
    Nipawin, Saskatchewan, Canada

Congrats Gunner, and way to go Jason it is a memory that will be with you and him forever

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

Great job Gunner

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Congrats to the both of you this is time spent with you that Gunner will never forget

flatlandfowler
    SC/SW MN

Congrats to both of you on making a life long memory

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.