A 5.5 Year Old Buck From The 2012 Firearm Season

• kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Sorry about your luck Jake, but happy birthday!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Hope you can teach him how to fish Dave.

Happy B Day Jake!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Like Kooty said…..Ya can’t pick relatives

Happy Birthday Jake!

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Happy Birthday Jake!!!

Jami

jakeh
    White Bear Twp

Thanks Guys

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Happy Birthday Jake and good luck fishin

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Happy Birthday Jake!

HooksWife
    Crystal, MN

Happy Birthday Jake!
    May be meeting you next weekend as you may be stopping back at my place in the woods

flaco651
    St. Paul's Westside

Happy B-day

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

That is a great deal on either product. I just wish i had something to use them in if I were to buy some.

Thank you Skeeter boat Center and Dean for this great deal.

See you all down there in a week!!!!!

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

There’s nothing better than having a long history with a buck and then finally being able to get put your tag on him. This is the story of “Gator” – a mature 5.5 year old buck that I ended up killing during the 2012 MN Firearm Season. Over the course of 3 years I captured over 475 videos and pictures of this buck and with the help of friends, found his matched set of antlers from the last 2 years. He grew up and hung with another 10 point buck on our property named “Croc” (short for crocodile) because this buck had a long narrow snout. Since they were so alike and hung out like brothers, I thought it was fitting to name him “Gator”.

I first laid my eyes on Gator in 2010 and knew if he could live a couple of more years, that he would turn out to be a special. This buck was very predictable, traveling the same routes and wintering in the same area but my trail cameras almost always captured him at night. In fact, all four of his sheds that we found were within 100 yards from each other. In 2011, I left him alone and never hunted him and we never crossed paths. Pictures and videos confirmed he was still in the same area and I was glad to once again find his matched set of antlers. Going into 2012, I knew this buck was going to be on my hit list.

Just like clockwork, Gator showed up again on my trail cameras in the summer of 2012. He was still a mainframe 10 pointer but now had a left brow that was split. Once he shed his velvet, he went nocturnal just as he did the previous years. I captured over 200 pictures and videos of him from June to November but never during daylight hours. That all changed when I finally got him on camera during daylight hours on a scrape the morning of Mon., Oct. 29th. The frustrating part was I hunted that scrape the two previous mornings and passed on 8 different bucks including four 2.5 year olds and a 3.5 year old. I have to admit, when I knew Gator was in that scrape the very next day – my heart sunk.

I also had a great encounter that same weekend with another buck we call “Crabby”. He’s heavy mainframe 10 pointer with crab claws and a sticker coming off his left beam by his G4 giving him 11 points. I had him at full draw at 10 yards bow hunting, but didn’t have a clear shot at his vitals so I let him walk. I really wasn’t heartbroken because I didn’t have a long history with this buck. Crabby was showing himself a lot during daylight hours and I knew that I or my dad would get another chance to take him.

The rut and gun season was fast approaching and I was hoping Gator wouldn’t change his routine. My hope was to get him with a bow but I knew my window of opportunity was getting very short. I hunted him hard right up to the gun season but never laid eyes on him. Right before opening day of gun, I once again got him on camera during daylight hours. However, this was 1/2 mile away from his core area. I was perplexed on why he had changed his routine, but decided that is where I would hunt him on opening weekend of the firearm season. Opening weekend passed quickly and even though I saw a lot of bucks, Gator was not one of them. The rut was on! Bucks were chasing does everywhere and I saw a lot of solo fawns which meant the does were being tended by the bucks.

On Tues. morning, Nov 6th, while I was at work I got a call from my dad and he said that he had some good news and some bad news. He told me the good news was that he had killed Crabby! That was awesome and I told him Congratulations! When I asked him what the bad news was he said “now you won’t be able to shoot him”. He told me that I deserved him because I work so hard at it – dumping mineral, planting food plots, hanging tree stands, running trail cameras and looking for sheds. I told my dad that I’m just as happy for him as if I killed Crabby myself and if it wasn’t for him, I would have never fallen in love with deer hunting in the first place! It takes a special person like my dad wanting me to have success versus him. Crabby was a great buck and ended up grossing 150 inches! Congratulations again Dad!

On Thurs afternoon Nov. 8th I was back at it and I headed out to sit for the evening. I decided to move back into Gator’s core area. Along the way, I carefully checked a couple of trail cameras that were over scrapes. I was amazed when both of them showed Gator during the daylight the day before – one at 12pm and one at 12:20pm! I couldn’t believe it! I was excited that he was back in the area but had also hoped that I didn’t bust him out of there when checking those cameras. That night I hunted the edge of a cornfield between the two scrapes but only saw some does and a little buck. Fri morning I played it safe again not wanting to walk into his core area in the dark and hunted another pinchpoint with the hopes of him coming off and adjacent food plot and heading towards his bedding area. Once again, I only saw a little buck.

Friday afternoon, I decided I would make my move and get in-between those two scrapes. I tiptoed out to the same stand where I encountered Crabby and climbed up. I soon realized the wind had changed a bit and this was not going to work. I needed to get to the west side of those scrapes due to the east wind. I decided to make the move and ever so carefully, made my way over to an old ladder stand that I had not sat in for 3 years. I hated this stand because you were very exposed and on more than one occasion I got busted by does.

It took me a lot longer that I had anticipated tiptoeing through that area and when I looked at my watch I was amazed it was already 3:15! I spent 1 hour covering about 150 yards. When I finally got to the base of the ladder stand, I caught some movement out of the corner of my eye. I saw a white flag and realized it was a deer running through the open woods. Did I just get busted??? I didn’t think so because the wind was not blowing my scent towards the deer. I starred in that direction for a couple of minutes and didn’t’ see anything so I eventually climbed up into the stand. Once I got up there, I was happy with my decision in making the move. It just felt right and I was excited for the evening hunt. About 10 min later, I caught some movement in the same area where I had seen the running deer. I soon realized there was some chasing going on and there was definitely a buck pushing around another deer. I soon saw a doe running broadside in the open woods about 100 yards away and I readied my rifle anticipating Gator being right behind her. Sure enough, here comes another deer but I soon realized it was a year and a half old buck. I almost laughed out loud because I had been duped. As the little buck chased the doe around, a fawn entered into the picture as well. They ran in circles for a while and then disappeared to where they had come from.

At that point, I seriously thought my hunt would probably be uneventful. Any mature buck in the area would want in on that action. About a minute later, here they come again all three of them. The doe and fawn ran by me and the little buck stayed back about 75 yards. He stopped and then looked back over his shoulder. That is when I knew something else was up and there had to be another deer behind him. Sure enough, another bigger deer eventually appeared and I quickly raised my rifle once again. It was a buck – but which one? It had its head down sniffing the ground as it was walking towards me. I caught glimpses of his rack but still couldn’t tell if it was Gator or not. Finally he raised his head and I saw what I was looking for – a long G4 and that confirmed it was indeed – Gator! I clicked the safety off as he stopped about 125 yards out and he was looking right at me in the open woods. I didn’t like the angle of this shot but I was sitting down, had a good steady rest and decided to squeeze the trigger while the crosshairs were on his front chest. I was afraid he was going to bolt after the hot doe. The shot hit its mark, he ran about 75 yards and soon it was over. Even though I could see that he was dead from my stand, I didn’t get down. Not because I thought he was going to get up, I just needed some time to reflect. I looked at my watch and it was 3:39. I had only been in the stand for less than 30 minutes.

The emotion one feels after taking a special buck like Gator is hard to describe. Initially, I actually feel more sadness than anything. The reason being is that the relationship and the bond between Gator and I was now over. The pursuit of the animal is why I hunt deer and I actually despise the killing part. I started to think about all the things a hunter does throughout the year just waiting for the moment of truth. Needless to say, I’m not a casual weekend deer hunter. Someone once told me that it was easy to see that deer hunting is not something I just do – it’s part of my being. When I’m not shed hunting, planting food plots, hanging stands, checking trail cameras or practicing with my bow, I’m thinking and strategizing how to find and pattern the next buck on my hit list.

After a few minutes of quiet time, I climbed down and made my way over to him. He looked so majestic lying there on the ground. I felt proud to have known him and wondered if he knew I was after him. We played cat and mouse for three years. I figured he probably knew me a lot more than I knew him. I know it’s kind of strange but I told him I was sorry for taking his life. I told him I would honor him and give back in some sort of way. The respect I have for these magnificent creatures is hard to explain.

After paying tribute to him I called my wife Tina and told her the news. She instantly started crying over the phone knowing how much it meant to me. I ended up crying with her and then the emotions really started to flow. All of this would not be possible if I didn’t have a very understanding wife. Tina – I love you and thank you for supporting my obsession. I realize there are many lonely nights when I’m not at home and you’re left taking care of our children and the household. Simply put, she actually deserves all the credit for my success. The sacrifices that she makes are incredible and never once does she ever condone my desire to hunt.

I would also like to thank my Dad – Roger for having the vision and purchasing our hunting land over 9 years ago. We’ve had so many wonderful hunts together over the years and I was honored and proud to share this hunt with him as well. Thank you Dad – you’ve been a great inspiration for me over the years when it comes to sharing your passion for deer hunting. If it wasn’t for you, I would not be the deer hunter that I am today.

Hunt each time like it’s your last. Don’t take shortcuts – go the extra mile and do it the right way. Set a goal, devise a plan and don’t settle for anything less. It feels and means so much more when you finally put your hands on him.

Pic 1 – Gator – he ended up grossing 155 inches and field dressed 217 lbs.
    Pic 2 – My Dad with Crabby – grossed 150 inches
    Pic 3 – Gator’s rack along with his sheds from the last 2 years.
    Pic 4 – Gator on the meat pole.
    Pic 5 – Pic of Crabby in velvet
    Pic 6 – Crabby out of velvet
    Pic 7 – Gator in velvet – 2012
    Pic 8 – Gator out of velvet – 2012
    Pic 9 – My dad and I with Gator

To see the 3 year history of Gator – be sure to click on the youtube video below.

VIDEO of a 5.5 Year Old Buck From The 2012 Firearm Season

gobbler
    Central, MN

Great read Brad. Congrats to you and your dad on a couple of DANDY BUCKS. Again, you don’t disappoint.

ragerunner
    Winona, MN

Great story! Congrats on two dandy bucks!

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

Simply awsome Brad. Congrats too you an your father both

coppertop
    Central MN

Congrats Brad! What a great memory at deer camp, two great bucks down by father and son.

jason_ramthun
    Byron MN

Quote:

Congrats Brad! What a great memory at deer camp, two great bucks down by father and son.

sipple31
    West Central Sconni

Really awesome stuff, Brad! I’m happy for you.

I like to see the guys that “deserve it” have success like this.

dennisdalan
    St Cloud, MN

Awesome read, congrats!

re-tired
    wi

Awesome bucks and an even better read. The enjoyment that you get hunting with your father sounds exactly like fishing is for my dad and I

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Thanks for sharing your passion with us!! The story was a great read and I want to congratulate you on your hunting success!!!

webstj
    Mazeppa, MN

Year after year, you keep getting it done. Good Job!

rangerforme

Nice job. Just curious how big of farm do you own that you can keep deer on it like that? Is this SE MN or Central?

tso
    Coon Rapids,MN

Thanks for the pictures and great article Brad! Loved the youtube video.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Decent read Brad and a few nice deer too.

kizew
    Dallas, WI

Great buck and awesome story Brad!!

big_g
    Isle, MN

Love it when a plan comes together !!! (other than dad shooting your deer … that had to be a funny phonecall, now after you guys think about it) Like Larry the Cable guy would say…. Gator Done !!!

natureboy
    LaCrosse,WI

great deer(s) and great story!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.